New old guy, new SG Special

Discussion in 'Epiphone SG' started by DRC68, Mar 6, 2021.

1. DRC68

DRC68 Member

Greetings to all!

I'm getting back into playing guitar after a long hiatus of almost 30 years. While my brain is quickly remembering old licks and riffs, my aging body is taking much longer to catch up.

I've always appreciated the aesthetics of classic Gibsons, especially the original Les Paul and the "modern" LP, the SG. Due to the body shape, weight, and neck profile of most classically-modeled LP's, I've always found them somewhat more difficult to live with on a daily basis. I have average-sized hands, but short fingers, and have always favored slimmer neck profiles. Thus, when looking for a new guitar recently, I specifically sought out models with narrower or slim tapered necks. And since I doubt I'll ever be playing public gigs or collecting, I preferred less expensive alternatives to the top tier brands.

The only real game in town where I live is Guitar Center, and we have a pretty good one here with decent selection and some competent people on staff. They had some beautiful Gibson LP Standards and Classics, and a couple moderns with weight relief and split coils, but to me they all felt a bit bulky. And while standing is no problem, for some reason I just cannot find a comfortable seating position with a Les Paul due to the body shape. I tried a couple SG models and found them to be much more comfortable and easy to play.

The store had a rather depleted selection of Epiphone guitars, and the associate explained that they sell a ton of them and have a hard time keeping them in stock. They had a couple LP moderns but only one standard, a 50's gold top model that was very attractive. They also only had one Epi SG of any kind left in stock, a burgundy Special P90. After noodling around with it for a while I knew I had to grab it.

The slim taper neck is among the most comfortable profiles I've ever played. The factory setup is perfect and there are no uneven frets. I was concerned about intonation due to the non-adjustable bridge, but it's spot on. The Epi P90 PROs offer a great tonal range, and can be both sweet and raucous.

Overall I am very impressed with the quality that Epiphone is producing lately. I've seen Epi's with sloppy binding, paint runs, rough frets, poor setup, etc, but this SG shows none of these flaws. Even the poly on this thing is flawless. It is a very impressive instrument for the price.

Looking forward to getting back into the groove and making some sweet music with my new partner:

SG_Med.jpg

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
  2. dub-setter

dub-setter Well-Known Member

mhh... no pic ???

3. Brian Kenny

Brian Kenny Member

Welcome Back!

fos1 likes this.
  4. DRC68

DRC68 Member

AH I think I know what happened... I need to make my images public. I'll fix that shortly, thanks!

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
  5. dub-setter

dub-setter Well-Known Member

works...

DRC68 likes this.
  6. Tom Dickinson

Tom Dickinson New Member

DRC, I share your 'old guy' status, as I'm rapidly approaching my 70th. Not to go too far off your thread subject, but it's nice to know that even at this ripe old age, we can still enjoy the pleasures that 'making music' has had for us over the years. Maybe some of the younger guys who read this thread will perhaps 'not' have the same thoughts I had back in my youth....which was: I'll never make it past 50.......!!! Had I known I would not only be healthy and going strong at this age, still playing guitar, riding my Harleys, and going boating and fishing any and every nice day....... I think I would have 'planned' a bit better! AND, I would NEVER have sold off some of the crap I had back in the day no matter how 'broke' I thought I was. When I think of my '57 Tele, my old 335, and LP Gold Top, and my SG Firebrand, I almost want to cry! I know my Tele sold for $27K by the guy who bought it from me back in the '70s......and hung on to it for another 50 years. I think I got $300 out of it!! He was the smart one! Anyway, I think an Epi SG is a great place to make a 're-start' after a 30 year hiatus. The real problem is trying to get acquainted with all the modern-day electronics and effects out there. That stuff has gone crazy! Have fun, be well, and hang in!! Tom D.

Bert Scrogshaw and DRC68 like this.