New Orange Amp Head

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by chasbo, Nov 14, 2006.

1. chasbo

chasbo Member

[​IMG]

It's called the tiny terror. Runs a couple EL84's, but has a switch to drop to a single EL84. The ting looks pretty cool. Anyone play thru one here? I bet an SG would scream thru one of these!

http://www.orangeamps.com/tinyterror/

chuck

2. mikeystool

mikeystool Well-Known Member

looks cool, wonder how many clams for that $?

3. chasbo

chasbo Member

I saw it for 650 at some online shop.

chuck

4. ricardo_vicente

ricardo_vicente Active Member

Retailing for 499 euros here in Germany. Affordable and looks a lot of fun too. I might be tempted next time I'm looking for new amp toys.

5. SG Dick

SG Dick Member

6. batwing SG

batwing SG Member

oh!! saw it once, if i am not wrong on sweetwater. i like orange amps. tried rockerverb series and ad series. AD series are more vintage, very nice clean. rocker series are more modern, more crunchy and with more jacks.

7. crippe

crippe Member

This amp is the shitz with an SG :) If you're looking for Angus-type grind this amp delivers IN SPADES and it does the Bluesbreaker tone very well too. I've had mine now for a couple of weeks and I'm still as amazed as I was when I first plugged in. I'm running it through my AC30CC2 but I'm thinking of getting an Orange 1x12 cabinet. The Tiny Terror is an excellent deal here in Europe.

8. DisclaimeR

DisclaimeR Member

From what it says on the website, it seems that it is louder than most 15 watters because of they way they are rated, and that they will give some 30 watters a run for their money...having an ac30 there with you, is that true?

the main thing stopping me from getting this amp is the volume. im gonna need something loud, but not really really loud. and the 15/7 switch will be nice too. :D

9. alexrules43

alexrules43 Member

I'm gonna have to save up for this eventually.

On the topic of Orange Amps, are those Crush series amps any good?

10. crippe

crippe Member

[quote author=DisclaimeR link=topic=11046.msg166709#msg166709 date=1174002801]

From what it says on the website, it seems that it is louder than most 15 watters because of they way they are rated, and that they will give some 30 watters a run for their money...having an ac30 there with you, is that true?

the main thing stopping me from getting this amp is the volume. im gonna need something loud, but not really really loud. and the 15/7 switch will be nice too. :D
    [/quote]

Yes it's rated 15W clean so it's about 25W full out. The TT won't compete with the AC30 in volume because (I think) the AC30 is rated the same way, 30W clean. But the TT is still very loud and the cool thing is that it sounds great at very low levels, I haven't heard that many tube amps that can do great distorted tone at such low levels. I will be using the TT (with a 1x12) with my band, the other guitarist has a Peavey Valveking 1x12 (50W) but I bet the TT will compete with that one in terms of volume (in terms of tone it totally smokes it ;D)

11. SG dan

SG dan Active Member

[quote author=crippe link=topic=11046.msg166794#msg166794 date=1174054369]
    But the TT is still very loud and the cool thing is that it sounds great at very low levels, I haven't heard that many tube amps that can do great distorted tone at such low levels.
    [/quote]
    :-X Valve Junior :-X

12. alexrules43

alexrules43 Member

Played one today at Gator Music (BTW, if you're ever in Naples/Fort Myers, stop there and at Morningstar Music on Tamiami Trail. Morningstar is huge and quiet, but with a tiny selection of amps, but Gator is small filled with Hiwatts, Voxes and Oranges). ABSOLUTELY AWESOME! Blew away all amps I've ever played. Also tried out 30 watt solid-state amps by Hiwatt, Vox and Orange. The Orange was better than both the Vox and Hiwatt put together. Very tube-like, sounds somewhat like the Tiny Terror. I liked the distortion better than the Epiphone VJ! If you can, pick up a Tiny Terror and 1x12 cab-you'll love it. If you can't afford that, the Crush series works well and sounds tube-like.

13. DisclaimeR

DisclaimeR Member

[quote author=crippe link=topic=11046.msg166794#msg166794 date=1174054369]

Yes it's rated 15W clean so it's about 25W full out. The TT won't compete with the AC30 in volume because (I think) the AC30 is rated the same way, 30W clean. But the TT is still very loud and the cool thing is that it sounds great at very low levels, I haven't heard that many tube amps that can do great distorted tone at such low levels. I will be using the TT (with a 1x12) with my band, the other guitarist has a Peavey Valveking 1x12 (50W) but I bet the TT will compete with that one in terms of volume (in terms of tone it totally smokes it ;D)
    [/quote]

sweet, thanks.
    can you give another review, volume wise, after you play with your band?

14. crippe

crippe Member

[quote author=SG dan link=topic=11046.msg166812#msg166812 date=1174067799]

:-X Valve Junior  :-X
    [/quote]

I have one of those too and while it sounds pretty good I still need a pedal to get a decent distorted tone, as the Tiny Terror has loads of gain already there's no need for a pedal.

15. badshirt

badshirt Member

What do you guys think of using something like this as a head and a Princeton Chorus as the speakers for it???

Would that be a waste??

I don't have a cab but am looking for a tube sound.

16. crippe

crippe Member

[quote author=badshirt link=topic=11046.msg166952#msg166952 date=1174152217]
    What do you guys think of using something like this as a head and a Princeton Chorus as the speakers for it???

Would that be a waste??

I don't have a cab but am looking for a tube sound.
    [/quote]

Is that 1x12 or 2x12? I don't think it would be a waste, it sounds like a good idea.

17. badshirt

badshirt Member

[quote author=crippe link=topic=11046.msg167118#msg167118 date=1174224083]

Is that 1x12 or 2x12? I don't think it would be a waste, it sounds like a good idea.
    [/quote]

Its a 2x12 - the Princeton Chorus is a solid state so I'm thinking this would give me more of a tube sound for sure.

18. crippe

crippe Member

Yes and lots of volume too with those 12's!