New Pelham Blue Day

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by TattooedCarrot, Nov 8, 2011.

1. TattooedCarrot

TattooedCarrot Well-Known Member

I've been digging the Sam Ash run of Pelham Blue SG's, but held off because I have a total love-hate thing going on with SG's and have gone through a bunch of them. In fact, I sold a 61RI recently (to Bruce Kulick, that was cool) and wasn't expecting to get another anytime soon, I had been Explorer shopping.

But I was in Sam Ash yesterday and this caught my eye. I played on it a bit and I really like it (for now, LOL). I was bummed they would not deal at all on it. Its listed in their book as one of a few models that corporate doesn't allow them to deal on because its a special run and they know they will sell them. So this is one of the rare times I bought new, and paid full price. I never do that. I usually only buy used or new if I get a killer deal. So I guess I better hold onto this one a while, or at least until Sam Ash runs out of them and they stand a chance of holding their value a bit. Sales guy said they were supposed to be limited to 200-300 produced, and that the computer showed there were still 100 available. They had two in the store I was at and one gold also.

I was also thinking about the Jeff Tweedy 50th that's just come out because it has the Lyre and the smaller pickguard, but it has a Curacao de negro fingerboard and is a blue mist color and not pelham, its also $300 more.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Ballbreaker

Ballbreaker Member

Really nice. How is the neck 50's or 60's ? It seems that more and more SG have a 60's and I just hate that neck. I thought about selling my Classic 3 days ago but to buy what, another Std ? Pfff....
    Anyway, I'd love to have blue SG, I've seen a blue Std played by a guy in a bar, I think it was a limited run from the 90's and it was a really great looking SG. You don't see them every day !

3. paradox

paradox Active Member

I'm diggin it - nice grab tc!!! Its a great color for an SG, but its hard to find
    a color that isn't. Maybe this one will stay in the barn for a while!!! Enjoy!

4. TattooedCarrot

[quote author=Ballbreaker link=topic=21950.msg262629#msg262629 date=1320808428]
    Really nice. How is the neck 50's or 60's ? It seems that more and more SG have a 60's and I just hate that neck.
    [/quote]
    Has a fatter neck, its a regular standard. I've always preferred 61RI to standard for the small pickguard and neck joint, but boy do I bond more with beefy necks.

[quote author=paradox link=topic=21950.msg262630#msg262630 date=1320808565]
    Maybe this one will stay in the barn for a while!!! Enjoy!
    [/quote]
    HA!! We'll see ;)

5. oldrockfan

oldrockfan Well-Known Member

cool guitar for sure! O0

6. TattooedCarrot

Definitely not digging the pickups, too muddy and undefined, especially the neck pup. The bridge handles high gain power chords and single note stuff well, but sucks for more complex rhythms and both are horrible in the clean and classic rock medium gain dept.

If I replace the pickups and electronics, I'll keep the originals on hand so I can always return it to stock. But finding the right pickups, hmm. And chrome, or maybe double white or zebra black/white? So many choices!

7. Ballbreaker

Ballbreaker Member

I'd go for chrome, maybe black/white could be cool, but for sure not double white.

8. Zeppelin Rules

Zeppelin Rules Active Member

Want and a half HNGD!!

9. TNT

TNT Active Member

Looks good TC! 8)