New Phil X signature model SG ?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by DrBGood, Jul 22, 2020.

1. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

2. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Too long, too much Phil X and Mark Agnesi and who cares? Seriously these two aren't worth more than 90 seconds of anyone's time..

3. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Well-Known Member

Weird duo, the one on the left is one of the most righteous dudes on the planet and the one on the right seems to be such a wanker one didn't think it was humanly possible. Who can forget that ridiculous "We're coming for you" video?

Also looks like psychopath and everything he does looks and sounds like "How do you do, fellow kids" Pathetic.

4. everdying

everdying Well-Known Member

too long a video to watch...
    but i believe it's still the '64 custom shop he's using which he modded to his own liking.

5. gball

gball Well-Known Member

Well, let's see...Phil X can play circles around just about anyone, certainly any of us, and I know Mark (and have bought guitars from him at Norman's in the past) and despite what the internet thinks he is a very cool dude. I'll listen to what they both have to say.

indeedido, SGfan84 and Didds like this.
  6. Von Trapp

Not only can he play circles around most people, he is also a truly stand up guy. Always answers emails and spent considerable time giving my daughter guitar lessons. Always most encouraging and positive. The other one perhaps just suffers from miscasting, some people can't do well in front of a camera no matter what you do, or has the worst production team money can buy. Those Gibson clips on youtube are so amateurish it makes you cringe.

7. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Well-Known Member

Boom! another for the ignore pile!

If the price was right, I'd buy a Phil X sig model. Cuz i bet it's a Jr.

not gonna watch the video though.

loafie, Biddlin and DrBGood like this.
  8. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

This is the only forum I have a quite a pile. Up to 13 with I'll do what I do.

AngelDeVille likes this.
  9. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Well-Known Member

at least 18 here, the next closest forum is 3.

10. Biddlin

BTW, Phil X has some mad skills on guitar, but I wouldn't put on a Phil X album like I would say a Jimi Hendrix album or The Allman Brothers or Big Brother & the Holding Company or quicksilver Messenger service or The Doors or Pink Floyd. Dexterous agility does not equate to context and verisimilitude.

RhinestoneStrat likes this.
  11. cheshiergrin

cheshiergrin Well-Known Member

I think there are too many signature models already. But it gives us something to argue about.

SGfan84 and koaguilds like this.
  12. gball

gball Well-Known Member

Real question though: have you actually listened to any of his "solo" albums (Powder, The Drills)? They are killer hard rock full of great songs (some covers) that happen to include some of the best guitar playing of the last decade or so.

And your list above is a little, ahem, dated. They're all great acts, but I mean, some of the best rock music ever made has been recorded in the last 20 years.

iloveparis likes this.
  13. Biddlin

I'm aware of some more recent rock music. I also listen to jazz and reggae. I'll stand by my assessment of Phil's abilities.

14. Von Trapp

And if I want a signature model I'll build one, my own, not someone elses. I think it's fine to mod a guitar to look like some famous dudes, why not, but to buy one? Getdafuckouttahere.

loafie likes this.
  15. NMA

NMA Well-Known Member

So modding a guitar to look like some famous dude's is fine, but buying a guitar that looks like some famous dude's is ridiculous?

Well, the simple response to that is that buying a signature model that already looks like some famous dude's saves the step of spending all the money and time to mod the guitar to look like some famous dude's.

I have 12 electric guitars. A full 9 of them were bought because they look like some famous dude's guitar. Some looked like the famous guitar right out of the box; others I modded to look like some famous dude's guitar. The one below took a lot of time and effort to make it look like a famous guitar. I wish Fender made one. It would have saved me some time and effort:

[​IMG]

KS 5150 likes this.
  16. Chuteboxehero

Chuteboxehero Well-Known Member

Keep in mind the SG is essentially a Les Paul signature model.

DrBGood likes this.
  17. Von Trapp

Sorry, I forgot to write (Opinion). Although I never said it's ridiculous, now that you mention it... Also, it wasn't really a question so it didn't really need a response in the form of an answer. If that answer happens to be your opinion though, fair enough, and if you actually modded that guitar then it looks solid. Great job.

NMA likes this.
  18. Von Trapp

I wouldn't know about those mentioned (guess why) but I totally agree with everything else. On a good day there are friendly knowledgeable guys around and plenty of great info.

19. Von Trapp

Interesting plot hole you found there although it could actually be debated since I believe he didn't even like it.

indeedido likes this.
  20. cheshiergrin

cheshiergrin Well-Known Member

There are some real pieces of work for sure but I'm over it and they hold no power over me, name calling and whatnot, I find it a bit amusing. What's that song say " Let it go, let it go o."

21. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

Was that a joke? (It didn't have a smily, but it made me smile).

Of course, the Les Paul guitar was a guitar he endorsed, you could call that a signature model, but more typically a signature model is a guitar that's based on a pre-existing guitar owned by the artist. Certainly that's not always the case, e.g. most Reverend signatures are designed for the guitarist - but even that didn't happen with the Les Paul, which was designed by Gibson, and then shown to Les (and he liked it and endorsed it).

But the SG - that was a redesign by Gibson that Les knew nothing about until it was completed. And although we may never know the full story, he spent the rest of his life claiming he told Gibson to remove his name from it. So I wouldn't call it a 'signature model', even if his name was initially used on it. ;)

Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
    indeedido likes this.