New Phil X signature model SG ?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by DrBGood, Jul 22, 2020.

1. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

I've only ever put one person on ignore here - GibSG, who eventually got banned. Then came back as Tonerider, got banned again, then came back as papagayo... In his last two incarnations his behaviour hasn't been bad enough to bother with putting him on ignore - it was really, really OTT as GibSG, especially all the Epiphone-hate. But there's always the same patterns of behaviour, unfortunately.

Funny how the people I'd be most likely to put on an ignore list tend to have the longest ignore lists themselves. I guess they like to dish it out, but can't handle taking it back. :)

SGfan84 likes this.
  2. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Well-Known Member

Hahaha, true! Ridiculous how someone can make so many comebacks, I mean, banned should be banned. How hard is it to IP-ban?! I remember that GibSG sh!t, it's how I found out how to put people on ignore in the first place. It was insufferable! Stupid easy to see it's the same muppet since he keeps posting the same pics... lol

SGfan84 likes this.
  3. SGfan84

SGfan84 Member

This is apparently the third time you come back after being banned.

You have mental issues my dude. Too bad otherwise I'd say you deserve a good smack upside the noggin. And I'm sure there are plenty of people around who would love to wack some sense into that hollow thing you call your head.

4. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

You have a serious problem,
    Take care.

5. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

6. Neil from Ottawa Canada

Neil from Ottawa Canada Member

Didn't know who Phil X was...anyway I skipped through the video and found:

-decent tips on lead playing out of the box at 21:09
    - his take on P90s at 28:25
    - a lead that sounds like the piano lead on Highway Star at 33:40

7. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Well-Known Member

He taught himself to play the organ solo with pick, no legato and no tapping! That is some serious sh!t right there and some iron will too.

Dave likes this.
  8. gball

gball Well-Known Member

Personally, I think the likelihood that he "knew nothing" about the redesign is very, very, extremely, infinitesimally low. He may not have liked the final product, and the narrative that he didn't know it was coming fits his story about wanting his name off it (which was more likely tied to his divorce than anything else) but I find it unrealistic that Gibson wouldn't have given him a heads-up on the plan for a clean-sheet redesign before they actually made the thing. He was getting a royalty on each one sold, and those checks had gotten pretty small by 1960, so he knew they weren't selling many of the originals and I feel would have been made aware they were going in another direction. And no, I gots no proof, just a hunch.

Chuteboxehero likes this.
  9. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

This guy knows how to have fun making music. Sooo comfortable on his guitar.

RhinestoneStrat, papagayo and Biddlin like this.
  10. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

Sure, 'knew nothing' may be overstating it... But they certainly had no reason to involve him at all; he hadn't been involved in the original design, they needed to compete with Fender, and Les wasn't likely to help in that area. They'd already taken his name of the Specials, and he hadn't had a hit for a while. Either way, the redesign certain wan't a signature model as most people understand it these days.

I reckon they just expected him to sit back and keep taking the money. Who knows, without a divorce, perhaps he would've done just that, and not cared so much about those sharp horns. :)

11. Voxman

Voxman Moderator Staff Member

Somebody holler FIRE in the theater again? I guess I'll have to weed the garden, and see where that goes, sorry, nothing personal, I'd rather have free speech. Not BS arguing. I'm busy playing and can't proof read every single post. Just slip me a report w/ a little info.