New Pickups for my SG

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by XmatsoX, Feb 7, 2005.

1. XmatsoX

XmatsoX New Member

So, I am new to these boards but I figure I'd post because I am having a bit of a problem with my sg. It is an sg special and has the rear "treble" pickup replaced with an EMG...I recently bought a peavey 5150 head and I run it through a marshall 4x12...I have been getting A LOT of feedback when I play with the post gain >3 This is a problem because I play hardcore/metal and I have to be able to play loud without any feedback. I already run a boss ns-2 noise suppressor pedal...I figure it is probably the low end EMG that is feeding back so terribly...I was wondering what type of pickups you guys would suggest putting in there...I am looking for something not too expensive like <100 for the set...that will sound good and get rid of the feedback...if you have any suggestions...either for new pickups or how to tweak my guitar to get rid of the feedback..please let me know..thanks.

2. TNT

TNT Active Member

Welcome XmatsoX! Dumb questions coming up: Does it feedback when other guits are hooked to your rig? Have you tried moving the pickup(s) away from the strings a bit? There's no reason in the world why the p'ups you have shouldn't work in that guitar!

3. XmatsoX

XmatsoX New Member

yeah I tried a friend's les paul and it didn't give me any trouble...It has 2 EMG hz's in it...I backed the pickup off the strings a pretty far...it helped a little bit but it still feeds back pretty bad...

4. TNT

TNT Active Member

:shock: I'll have to say that I'm in a little over my head but someone here should be able to help you or at EMG. If so, let us know how you fixed it! 8) http://www.emginc.com/support.asp

5. Six String

Six String Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to ETSG XmatsoX!!! :D :D :D

6. hambucker

hambucker Member

What you need to do is ditch the EMGs and get some Duncans in there!! Just kidding. Welcome to the forum. But seriously, the JB...Totally killer for metal, sweet harmonics.

7. maxguitar

maxguitar Member

what kind of rhythm pickup do you have in there? does that do it for you?

I've got some DiMarzio-equipped SG's and they're pretty sweet for the thrash and ****.

8. musicalhair

musicalhair New Member

Is there an internal trim pot in the guts of the guitar's electronics that was like maxed out by a previous owner? IT seems kinda odd that one guitar, and a solid body for that matter, would be giving you such a feedback problem.

9. CharlieB

CharlieB Active Member

How close to the amp are you?

I had a Tele that had a bridge pickup the fed back ALL the time, even at moderate volume, if you were within about 10 feet from the amp. I ended up wax potting it AGAIN... and it helped (but didn't cure it)

If you have some foam - try that under the pickup to reduce its vibration a bit. Like weatherstrip foam.