Discussion in 'Epiphone SG' started by Franc, Apr 4, 2020.
In spite of approaching snow storms, I went and picked it up today...
So I'm just jumping in here rather late in this thread content, but from the looks of the progress so far, the OP still has a bit of work ahead of him. I just wanted to comment on the process of plugging the holes. I'm no expert in this, but I'd done my share of 'resurrections' and 'project' guitars over the years, with perhaps one of my most challenging projects being the restoration of a PRS guitar where the body had been used for 'test finish' application, then was sawed in half and tossed in the dumpster back when the factory was still in Annapolis, MD and I was too. A friend pulled out the pieces and gave them to me, and I had another friend who was able to cut a very thin piece of wood for me to use as a 'spacer' to fill the gap the saw blade left. Several wooden dowells, some carefully applied West Systems Epoxy, and a LOT of sanding, and the guitar came back to life. BUT, it's been a good 20 years since I completed that project, which is rather the point of this post. In that time, there has been some shrinkage of both the finish around the joint, as well as perhaps some uneven shrinkage of the wood and filler itself. This has resulted in the 'line' that I so carefully attempted to eliminate is now back to having some level of visibility. So, my basic comment here is to do a good bit of homework as to the type of plug, filler, and final finish treatment you use here around the tailpiece holes that you will have to fill in order to proceed with your vibrola installation. For the record, I think you're doing a great job so far, and I think you definitely chose the right guitar on which to do all this work. The pic on page 8 of your 'target' results looks stuffing to me, so if yours turns out that well, then you'll have yourself some wall art as well a family heirloom. But just be cautious in that 'plug' process, as it will stick out like a sore thumb if that ends up being a 'fail' point in your overall process. I'm watching with great interest and can't wait to see how this looks when 'done'. Good luck...... and nice job so far!
Good advice here Tom. The difference with this project might be that IF the plugs end up showing, it will be something we'd expect to see. Not so with your puzzle PRS :) Can we see it ?
In my, most humble, experience anything done that involves doweling etc WILL show up and the only way around it is veneer. On the + side however: If chicks don't notice - who gives a sh!t and most likely neither they nor any other potential audience member will ever get close enough because usually you can't see it at all from a fairly normal distance. But if you're going for it, use tapered dowels.
? as in what? or as in why?
Instead of trying to get or make a dowel that fits the hole exactly it's easier to have a tapered one that you just slam in until it fits tight.
Time is flying by, folks and, unfortunately, I haven't been able to work on the guitar since I got the Vibrola.
I know a lot of people around the globe are bored out of their minds, but fortunately I am still very busy doing my daytime job, which is great, but does have a negative effect on all my "things to do" or "things the wife wants me to do"
I *will* finish this project, not to worry.
Thanks for (still) watching!
We're still here ...
Most projects the OP vanishes some time just before things get interesting so cred to you.
That gold one is still my goal, although I won't age it.
Separate names with a comma.