New sg guy

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Bobguitar4, Sep 10, 2020.

1. Bobguitar4

Bobguitar4 New Member

Hi I am new to this forum and I would like to say that I have a 2019 gibson SG tribute walnut and I would like to hear from this forum about the 490t and 498r pickups and what is a good option for a better hard rock sound
    Thanks in advance

DanB, fos1 and arcticsg like this.
  2. Rusty Chops

Rusty Chops Well-Known Member

I always liked the 490 series.
    In SG’s ‘57’s sound good.
    Heck, almost anything works in an SG.
    I love the Custombuckers in my ‘64 RI, but they’re not available aftermarket yet

3. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Well-Known Member

Not to be THAT guy but it's 498T for the bridge and 490 in the neck. When you get the height right this combo is a killer for hard rock. There are plenty of options that I've tried but after a while I realized I just wasted my time.

fos1, koaguilds, NMA and 1 other person like this.
  4. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

+1 on that... the 490R and 498T have been used for decades in SG Standards and Les Paul Standards...
    There are tens of thousands of them out there rocking and rolling with no problems.

If you figure out how to EQ your guitar properly for the sound you want to lay down,
    those pickups ought to be able to deliver what you need. Gibson pickups are accurate.

Of course there are many alternatives available to you... Rio Grande makes great humbuckers...
    so does Seymour Duncan and Bare Knuckle and DiMarzio and Lollar and Benedeitti...
    just close your eyes and pick one.

But you still have to EQ whatever you install to the the tone you need.
    And the Gibsons are among the best of the best. That's simply a fact.

So before you yank your Gibson p'ups out, I'd suggest you work out with your EQ...
    use an EQ pedal if you want complete control over numerous bands, use your guitar and
    your amp controls if you want to keep things simple. Google "Eric Clapton + woman tone"
    and listen to the master as he speaks, speaking only of guitar and amp controls. This was
    before there was much in the way of pedals.

Lucky us, now we have so much more control at our feet than any guitar heroes of the
    past could ever dream of. With all we have available, the concept of ripping fine guitars
    apart in search of tone seems a bit unnecessary. The concept of 'guitar tone' can be
    expressed as Highs, Mids, and lows. Look at it on a graphic equalizer and it all makes
    sense... whatever pickups you use.

fos1 and arcticsg like this.
  5. arcticsg

arcticsg Well-Known Member

Congrats and welcome to the board!

I believe the 2019 SG Tribute comes with the 490R/490T combo.

I do prefer the 490R/498T combo my self over the 490R/490T set up. As others have said it has been used extensively in the SG and Les Paul line up, and many rockers have used this combination quite successfully.

Just swap out the bridge for a 498T and play with your amp, I think you’ll be happy! :smile:

cerebral gasket likes this.
  6. Bobguitar4

Bobguitar4 New Member

Wow thanks guys for your fast response , I will definitely try my EQ pedal on it and see if that helps , I really like this guitar alot , actually even more than the gibson les paul classic I had lol

7. Bobguitar4

Bobguitar4 New Member

I agree
    Your right they are 490t&r

8. NMA

NMA Well-Known Member

Yeah, don't sweat the pickups. They have been put to great use by thousands of SG players over the years. You can put them to great use, too.

You can adjust them, you know. Raise pole-pieces, raise or lower the pickups themselves. youtube has some good videos that show the Gibson recommended heights for their pickups. See if yours are in that range. Or just raise them or lower them to suit your taste.

9. Von Trapp

Good thinking. The whole concept of chasing pickups negates the fact that one most likely has a pedal or two and an amp. I realized after a while and a bunch of different pickups that I always use those to dial in the same stupid sound anyway. So as long as the pickups aren't pure shite time is better spent on rock'n roll. (+chicks don't now the difference anyway of course)

fos1 likes this.
  10. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

I'll go with the flow here and say if you're not getting at least a 'good' rock tone from a 490/498 combo, you probably need to look at something else first, e.g. amp, as those pickups should be getting you close. Once there, you might want to go hotter (or the opposite!) to fine tune things, and that might mean swapping to a ceramic (for example).

First mistake I ever made with upgrades was swapping out a pick up when I needed a new amp! :)

11. Neil from Ottawa Canada

Neil from Ottawa Canada Member

Welcome to the forum. I've found that, with time and patience I can get "my" tone from all of my guitars. Pick attack, EQ settings, picks, strings, eq, pedals, right and left hand muting, choice of amp, all are major factors. Where are you from ?

Bobguitar4 likes this.
  12. Bobguitar4

Bobguitar4 New Member

Thanks I'll do that , it sounds like it would make a huge difference

13. Bobguitar4

Bobguitar4 New Member

Hi I am from Texas and I have been playing guitar for about 10 years and some 38 guitars later I landed on using a gibson sg and bingo it's got just the perfect sound and neck thickness and since today I changed all the poll heights and hooked up my mxr ten band EQ and use a pilot tube over drive with a fender blues delxes amp and now I think I got a really nice hard rock sound thanks to all the advice you guys gave me

14. Bobguitar4

Bobguitar4 New Member

What is the best amp for a sg ?

15. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

You should choose your amp for the genre, not the guitar

koaguilds likes this.
  16. Bobguitar4

Bobguitar4 New Member

Maybe but so far I have discovered that certain amps work better with some guitars and others not so well, case in point is that I had a gibson les paul classic and a black star tube amp and that did not work well together but that same amo paired well with a HSS shawbucker stratocaster

17. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

The 2019 SG Tribute has the 490R/490T combo.
    It's the same guitar as the SG Faded (SG Special Faded) with the exception that it has a maple neck and crown inlay silkscreened on the headstock.

I have a Blackstar HT Club 40 MkII and it pairs just fine with both my SG Special with 490R/490T and SG Classic with P-90's.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
    arcticsg likes this.
  18. Chuteboxehero

Chuteboxehero Well-Known Member

I'll add that the Blackstar HT5 series also sounds great with any SG I've run through it.

cerebral gasket likes this.
  19. fos1

fos1 Active Member

Welcome. I am enjoying this thread. I thought of switching out pups a couple of years ago and the luthier I respect a lot said to keep what I have and use all of the controls available between the guitar, the amp and pedals when necessary.

When my oldest son visited a few months back, we were playing a couple of guitars. I pulled down my SG and handed it to him and said if you really want to play a sweet guitar, this one is it.

Jeff

20. Von Trapp

I have a WILD theory that this could actually make sense IF you play on a tube amp at low volume and the pickups in one guitar are hotter than the ones in the other but admittedly I've never tested or researched this. To me most tube amps sound as if they're in the closet when you play them on low volume but I haven't tried with all my guitars so can't say. Therefor I use a Rockman for practice and an amp for band play. On the Rockman they all sound the same right off the bat and on a cranked up Blackstar tube amp I've only played 498s in an LP, Rio Grande Dirty Harrys' in a strat, Superdistortion in a V, Superdistortion in an LP, Firebird Humbuckers in an SG, Burstbuckers in an SG, Blackouts in a V and Dark Stars in an SG. I can get the same sound from all of them. Mind you, the same goes if I use my VS100.

Chuteboxehero likes this.