New SG Jr (Lefty) Original Collection- Disappointing Set-Up

bdoh1888

Reaction score
Ugh- got this new SG- have always hankered after one. As a lefty, I don't have the option to visit a shop and try before I buy where I live.

So, good price, I went for it, got it today. The following issues: sharp fret ends; nut looks clumsily and carelessly cut; the nut stained with colour; the fretboard REALLY dry (kind of white); a few little scratches on the fretboard itself; intonation out on four of the strings.

I know it's easy to oil the fretboard and that the intonation might never be perfect but I wondered if this was typical or if I should be outraged. The re views I read were really good: I don't have much money and had been saving for years, then the price on that particular website (Bax) dropped right to the price I'd saved so I went for it.

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    62.4 KB · Views: 37
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    49.5 KB · Views: 35
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    55.7 KB · Views: 36
  • image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    74.9 KB · Views: 37
  • image4.jpeg
    image4.jpeg
    82.9 KB · Views: 38
  • image5.jpeg
    image5.jpeg
    66.2 KB · Views: 39
  • image9.jpeg
    image9.jpeg
    57 KB · Views: 39
  • image12.jpeg
    image12.jpeg
    74 KB · Views: 39
  • image11.jpeg
    image11.jpeg
    77.8 KB · Views: 38
  • image10.jpeg
    image10.jpeg
    80.3 KB · Views: 37

Igonuts

Reaction score
Welcome to ETSG bdoh1888.
Went to Bax site. You have 30 days to return. You might say specifically which SG you purchased. That would help the more knowlegable members here when trying to assist you. All i can guess is since there's no fret binding, its a standard SG.
In the not so distant past, gibson has been a little lacking in QC. Lately though, most would agree they're back with good QC.
I see the inner box in image 5 shows some light scuffing. My recent purchase, the inner box tape was cut like it's been opened. No issues with my guitar, but the case was wonkie/askew. The guit wasnt supported well and the case wont close w/o fair amount of fighting. Looks like you have a blemish on your case image 4 as well.
Have heard stories about dealers switching demos into the new boxes and shipped as new.

I'm having a serious time getting a replacement case. To do that w/o sending the guitar back as well, i went to the store itself. Guessing you dont have that option.

IMHO, not having a local solution, is to return for like exchange. Not sure bout the rep of Bax online sales, if you try to clean some of the issues up first, they likely wont accept your return. Fret ends, dry board can be dealt with. And there *should* be no reason why intonation cant be spot on. But if you do return, print out those pics and send them as well.
IMO, i you think they swapped for a demo, I'd go for the money back return policy they posted. Runnnnn away from that online outlet store.

Do not just take my word for it. There are those who have made many purchases and would likely have more input for you.

Last edited:

An Abiding Dude

Reaction score
That's a drag, but it sounds like most of your issues can be resolved with a proper set up and a little TLC. Hopefully you have the skills or a guitar guy you trust to iron out those imperfections. All my Gibson have bound fretboards, so I've never dealt with lousy undressed frets but I have an SG Special with the lightning bar tailpiece and was pleasantly surprised about how accurately you can dial in the intonation with just a couple of screws. I know lefties have a hard time finding the right one (no pun intended), but hopefully you can make this work.

Decadent Dan

Reaction score
My 21 Junior has the same finish.
A small bottom area of the nut that goes below the fretboard thickness has stain on it.
The angled line on the your sides might be lacquer where it goes from the fretboard to the headstock overlay.
You could probably get some money back or return it. You might also have a damage claim for the case.
If you’re not in love with it, send it back.

Grizzlyman

Reaction score
Wow, that nut looks like it has been broken and repaired…
Honestly my Harley Benton has better neck finishing.
That’s such a shame, I’m not knocking Gibsons, I have one too.
Hope you get it sorted to your liking, that looks like a lovely colour. Any full pics of the guitar?

bdoh1888

Reaction score
Welcome to ETSG bdoh1888.
Went to Bax site. You have 30 days to return. You might say specifically which SG you purchased. That would help the more knowlegable members here when trying to assist you. All i can guess is since there's no fret binding, its a standard SG.
In the not so distant past, gibson has been a little lacking in QC. Lately though, most would agree they're back with good QC.
I see the inner box in image 5 shows some light scuffing. My recent purchase, the inner box tape was cut like it's been opened. No issues with my guitar, but the case was wonkie/askew. The guit wasnt supported well and the case wont close w/o fair amount of fighting. Looks like you have a blemish on your case image 4 as well.
Have heard stories about dealers switching demos into the new boxes and shipped as new.

I'm having a serious time getting a replacement case. To do that w/o sending the guitar back as well, i went to the store itself. Guessing you dont have that option.

IMHO, not having a local solution, is to return for like exchange. Not sure bout the rep of Bax online sales, if you try to clean some of the issues up first, they likely wont accept your return. Fret ends, dry board can be dealt with. And there *should* be no reason why intonation cant be spot on. But if you do return, print out those pics and send them as well.
IMO, i you think they swapped for a demo, I'd go for the money back return policy they posted. Runnnnn away from that online outlet store.

Do not just take my word for it. There are those who have made many purchases and would likely have more input for you.
It's a Gibson SG Jr Lefty Original Collection. Brand new (or supposed to be).

bdoh1888

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the replies.

My problem is that Bax (where I bought the guitar) don't seem to have any others in stock, so it'll be either keep it or return it. If they gave me, I don't know, £100 or so, I could get the issues addressed but until I hear back from them, I don't want to even oil the fretboard. The thing is, I could send it back today for a full refund, I'm sure but I doubt I'll ever get as good a deal as I did on this one (it was £730- couldn't believe I was getting a Gibson for that price).

The scratches on the fingerboard are probably the main problem- not sure whether to ignore them or make it a deal buster.

As for the intonation- is it possible to get it exact if there aren't individual bridge saddles?

Decadent Dan

Reaction score
Can we get a closer pic of the bridge?
Did they put a right-handed bridge on a left-handed guitar.

Last edited:

bdoh1888

Reaction score
Ok- latest problem is that I can't get the G string in tune. Whenever I tune it, the open string is in tune, then the first fret note (G sharp) is sharp and it's sharp the whole way up the neck. I'm presuming that means the nut slot is not cut low enough, does it?

I think that's just one too many issues so it'll have to go back.

(Bax just said to return it: no attempt to replace it, fix it or offer any compensation or anything like that).

Decadent Dan

Reaction score
Something else odd, I’ve looked at a few other ‘21 lefty Juniors that had angled posts and non-comp bridges.

Igonuts

Reaction score
"That’s a right-handed bridge."
Great eye Decadent Dan sir!!!

Personally i stay away from those non adjustable wrap arounds due to *my* concern of intonation issues. Factual or not.

If you can dress up the board scratch, might concider wrap around replacement with one that employes saddles. Quick look shows StewMac ones starting at 52USD. IDK Which one might be a direct repllacement, but, if the low guitar cost could offset that investment, might be a solution. If direct replacement could be done with out mods, keeping OE parts, wouldn't devalue upon future sale/trade in.

After all, it's an SG with a P-90.

Last edited:

bdoh1888

Reaction score
Can't believe this- what a nuisance- can't believe Gibson sent out a guitar in this state. Bax Music are obviously just a warehouse with zero quality control so it'll be pot luck if you can get a good product from them: awful customer service so far from them: will see if that changes after my last (less than appreciative) email.

plankton

Reaction score
I'd just send it back. I guess you know now why you got a Gibson for such a good price. A bit of a joke really, I don't think I'd be buying from them again.

On the "lightning bolt" wraparound bridges, they will intonate quite well if they've been mounted in the proper place, and you don't use a right hand bridge on a left hand guitar. :rolleyes:

Decadent Dan

Reaction score
You can probably get Gibson to send the correct bridge if you’re the first owner.
The question is which one is correct?
Maybe they had supply issues with the left-handed compensated bridges and decide to angle the posts and go non-comp on the lefties?

Last edited:

Bad Penguin

Reaction score
Contact Gibson with a picture titled "What's wrong with this pic?" then complain, and get them to send you the right part, or send it back. Personally, that tiny chunk of fretboard by the nut would drive me friggen insane on a new guitar!

Decadent Dan

Reaction score
Here ya go, 2 different left-handed ‘21 Juniors… both non-comp at an angle.
1D7655EA-C1FF-494E-8669-9566A9E1F53B.jpeg 3C647183-0137-4145-A387-480FBAD65BBF.jpeg

Latest posts