New SG Jr: Ridiculous errors!! Should I write to Gibson?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Tom Dickinson, Jun 15, 2021.

1. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

The real question is whether you can fit a whole 2x4 of Brazilian Rosewood!

Daniel.S and AngelDeVille like this.
  2. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

@PermissionToLand Should I PM you for pre-approval of my future posts? If you don't like them, you don't have to read them.

3. PermissionToLand

Thanks for proving my point with a needlessly aggressive response.

4. alex1fly

alex1fly Member

Reading through the rant to find the details about the issue. OP is focused only on the bridge saddles and posts. Honestly this sounds like a truss rod issue to me, potentially the nut too. Get the relief right with your chosen string set on there and assuming the nut height is correct, verify the nut slot height, then adjust the action, THEN do the intonation. The bridge works together with the relief, the nut slots, the saddles, the nut height, and the chosen string gauge, and if you ignore one of them you risk having these problems.

I would've taken the guitar to a luthier/tech for a setup or at least a second opinion before hassling with RMAs and getting salty about how much better I am at designing guitars. To simply fiddle with a bridge and then demand a return is exactly why guitar companies don't want to provide great customer service.

5. Biddlin

Ah, my English friends have a term for folks like you. I'll let you imagine.

6. Pointyfan

Pointyfan Member

How could Sweetwater miss all of this in their 55 point checklist?

7. Biddlin

He bought it from Musicians Friend, but it's the same deal. Nobody missed anything except the OP who missed the point.

8. PermissionToLand

What a surprise, more personal insults from you! Keep proving me right, by all means...

crashbelt likes this.
  9. Pointyfan

Pointyfan Member

Oops! Thanks for pionting that out Biddlin. I really should learn how to read! I've set a couple of these up for friends and they have been stellar, no problems with bridge placement on the ones I've seen. Too bad OP got a dog...

Biddlin likes this.
  10. jonnyfez

jonnyfez Active Member

I purchased a new SG Jr. from Sweetwater last year. The thing was gorgeous. Like yours it had the lightning bridge which I've had good luck with. It was unplayable out of the box. Couldn't make a D chord without the high E slipping off the edge of the fretboard. It went back in the box 5 minutes later and returned - without question. I found a used 2019 with the plain wraparound bridge. No issues. I now have 3 SGs and a LP that I love but it took awhile to weed out some of the stinkers.

edselman likes this.
  11. Bettyboo

Bettyboo Well-Known Member

Haven't seen the guitar, but I suspect the OP's point is valid based upon: had a 2018 junior with the angled uncompensated bridge - worked perfectly; have a 2019 special with the lightening bar which arrived with problems (studs and bridge), got 100 euros refund on warranty then got non-Gibson replacement locking studs and bridge - far better, a stable bridge with decent intonation; spoke to several very experienced special/junior players who also had problems with 2019 (and after) lightening bars who made similar bridge/studs changes.

The lightening bridge has always had issues, the majority of specials on ebay/reverb from the 60s onwards have had bridge upgrades, so it's a shame that Gibson put them on the new Juniors (I didn't realise they had...) because an angled bridge (especially the aftermarket compensated bridges, non-lightening...) work great, imho.

Hope the OP gets a replacement he's happy with because a good SG Junior is as good as it gets.

macdog likes this.
  12. Sootio

Sootio Well-Known Member

My lightening bar SG has perfect intonation. It took a little messing with the grub screws.

cerebral gasket and Biddlin like this.
  13. Biddlin

I have no difficulty with my lightning bar bridges. I hope the op gets the Jr. he believes he deserves. In the past 15 years I have purchased 8 new Gibsons, all came out of the box quite playable. I'm sure there are some lemons out there. If I got one I'd send it back for my money or a replacement.

14. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

I don't have any issues with either my lightning or non-lightning bar bridges.

The bodies, pup cavities, control cavities, holes for the controls, bridge posts, etc are all done on CNC machine if not mistaken. So how can the bridge posts be in the wrong place?

I wonder what tuning the OP is using.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2021
    Lynurd Fireburd and Biddlin like this.
  15. Biddlin

What string gauges? Wound or plain G?

cerebral gasket likes this.
  16. Darryl Fisher

Darryl Fisher Member

...all this...and not a blinkin' picture of it...>sigh<

17. PermissionToLand

My Historic SG had the bridge set too far forward from the factory and also bent those thin ABR posts forward. I had to retrofit a Nashville to it (come at me purists!). Gibsons have never been perfect. Dan Erlewine said he's had to reposition many a "golden era" Gibson bridge.

Bridge positioning is always tough because it depends on how the neck is set, which can be incredibly finnicky. And I believe even USA line guitars are still glued by hand.

RW59 and cerebral gasket like this.
  18. Bettyboo

Bettyboo Well-Known Member

This is an important point.

From experience, an SG where the set neck angle isn't quite right can be managed because you have a lot of optiona with the bridge saddles and height of the stop piece to get the guitar playing well. With a Special or Junior, you have less wiggle room when the neck angle isn't optimum or when the bridge positioning is off.

I feel a bit sorry for Gibson because so many folks want an "original" SG spec (often meaning an early 1960s or so), but the lightening bar of that era wasn't perfect. Looking on ebay/reverb there are endless specials of that time with either replacement lightening bars or the bars pushed close to the extreme of the holding screws.

19. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

I have no desire for an original spec SG.

IMO, the perfect SG would be the reissue of an SG Classic with lightning bar wraparound instead of TOM bridge and tailpiece.

Offer it in a limed mahogany TV Yellow finish.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2021
  20. UncleSpot

UncleSpot New Member

It IS clear Gibson doesn’t care about customers, their desire to have a decent guitar, and their QC/QA are non existent. Send the guitar BACK and NEVER buy another guitar without PLAYING it in a music/guitar store. It IS how you find “that magical” guitar “you can’t live without”.