New SG Jr: Ridiculous errors!! Should I write to Gibson?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Tom Dickinson, Jun 15, 2021.

1. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

London, new hearing aid project - exciting
    I should have added. X marks the spot where you can potentially operate when you have people on forums telling the aggrieved parties that they should accept what they are given and not return items for warranty claims.

optimum.gif

2. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Well-Known Member

Hahaha, priceless.

3. Sootio

Sootio Well-Known Member

People should get a professional opinion before they rant on public forums. It's not like we've never heard this before.

Go Nigel Go and Biddlin like this.
  4. Sootio

Sootio Well-Known Member

In order to grab a wrong body it would have to have too many or not enough holes. Not very likely.

Biddlin likes this.
  5. Go Nigel Go

Go Nigel Go Well-Known Member

Not very likely, but not impossible... Grab one with not enough holes and think "I can make this work" and grab a drill. If you are wrong, there is a problem. My main point was that there could be a problem, but probably not. If built according to the plans, the guitar will work properly and the correct set up process will result in a very nice playing and well intonated guitar every time. There is not enough information in this thread to say one way or the other if this is a rare mistake, or the far more common operator error. My money would be on the latter.

Sootio likes this.
  6. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

I must have really nailed it calling out your behavior if it touched that much of a nerve that you're still trying to insult me this long after the fact... Amazing how you don't even realize you're proving my point with every aggressive and insulting response.

And you're surprised that it went nowhere when you tried to report somebody for asking you to stop violating the forum rules and pushing away newcomers? That really says a lot. I could have reported you a million times, as almost every time I see one of your posts, it is being unnecessarily rude and argumentative to people. Maybe I should though, since you've now vindictively stooped to the level of trying to silence me for having the gall to stand up to you. Reflexively attacking anyone who calls out your bad behavior is textbook narcissism.

Forum rules and guidelines:
    • Inflammatory posts will not be tolerated and will be removed.

7. Piper68Special

Piper68Special Active Member

I have no doubt the lightning bar bridges can be problematic, but here's one you might be surprised by-

Sootio and DrBGood like this.
  8. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Indeed it is, but I'm incredibly tolerant. You must have posted ten words to my every one in this thread. You have made wood up the rectum references and been grossly abusive. Fortunately, I don't care.

9. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

Reporting people to silence them is your idea of tolerance? If you assumed the joke about tonewood sticks up the asses of Les Paul forum members was somehow about you, I don't know what to say. If you're really that sensitive, maybe you shouldn't be going around dishing out insults all the time.

The mods didn't take your bait. Take the hint and let it go.

10. pancake81

pancake81 Well-Known Member

we have Mods?

I thought they sent the way of the dodo a long time ago. If we do have any, they must be a tolerant bunch

11. trypeus

trypeus New Member

Set up well or not, there's issues that even the best set up won't fix. A SH model that I looked at was well set up and played beautifully, it also had a gorgeous looking rosewood fretboard with a red flame down one side for about half the length of the neck from the headstock down. Unfortunately it had an electronic issue and the price adjustment offered wouldn't have covered it. The guy had tried to address it by height adjusting the pups but no dice - I think it maybe needed a new volume pot.

12. Go Nigel Go

Part of any proper set up is identifying issues accurately, and formulating a plan to address them if possible. If it is not possible to address the issues in a simple way using adjustments, it is off to the luthier's bench for modification or repair. In order to repair anything, you first have to figure out what is wrong. Guessing usually solves nothing at best, and makes things worse more often than not.

I don't know how many times I have seen people blaming the instrument when they haven't adjusted the right parts, or done things in the wrong order. Even it there actually is a problem with an instrument (like the bridge is in the wrong location or something), you need to find the issues first by measuring and testing so you will be sure you are fixing something that needs fixing, not just clutching at straws.

Pointyfan likes this.
  13. donepearce

I have to say that repair on the Luthier's bench is not the appropriate response to a new instrument that is incorrectly made. Anyone buying a new guitar is entitled to start from a position of basic quality. The luthier should only be optimising the setup and attending to any particular requests from the owner.

14. Go Nigel Go

True, but whether you return it or fix it, the issue needs to be identified just the same. Errors shouldn't happen, but they do. They just need to be properly identified before making rash decisions or condemning an otherwise good product.

15. Super fuzz

Super fuzz Member

This is a troll thread. Dude buys a guitar, finds serious issues, doesn’t take a single photo, and starts a 5 paragraph rant about it?? If it looks like bullshit and smells like it, we don’t need to taste it to make sure.

16. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

</thread>

Last edited: Jul 1, 2021
  17. mtsv

mtsv Member

I have read all 4 pages of this topic, and I have 2 deductions:

1- I appreciate the OP, both for being at 70 and still playing and buying guitars, let alone he is now chasing Gibson. Being just past 50, I cannot imagine myself doing something in 20 years. So, I bow respectfully.

2- The anatomical discussions took place more than the guitar.

Anyway, I would like to hear more about the developments.

18. donepearce

I can neither read nor understand point 2.

Nathan Martin and Biddlin like this.
  19. Lynurd Fireburd

Lynurd Fireburd Active Member

Same. My DC Jr's uncompensated bridge (vs all my other lightening style) is solid & intonated perfectly. It's magic.

cerebral gasket likes this.
  20. MR D

MR D Active Member

BWAH HA HA HA !!!