New SG Jr: Ridiculous errors!! Should I write to Gibson?

donepearce

Reaction score
London, new hearing aid project - exciting
I should have added. X marks the spot where you can potentially operate when you have people on forums telling the aggrieved parties that they should accept what they are given and not return items for warranty claims.

optimum.gif

Sootio

Reaction score
I should have added. X marks the spot where you can potentially operate when you have people on forums telling the aggrieved parties that they should accept what they are given and not return items for warranty claims.

View attachment 44974

People should get a professional opinion before they rant on public forums. It's not like we've never heard this before.

Sootio

Reaction score
I will just say that a guitar that can not be intonated using the provided adjustments is a problem. If that is the case as stated in the original post, Gibson needs to be aware of it and do something about it.

That said, intonation adjustments are a part of the overall set up process, by which I mean there is a certain basic level of understanding of guitar geometry and the order of steps and checks that are necessary to do the job correctly. If you don't understand the process it is entirely possible to get farther out of adjustment with every change rather than closer to correct.

My first recommendation to someone having trouble setting up a new Gibson guitar would be to make sure they understand the process. It isn't super difficult, but you do have to do things correctly and understand and verify the desired results of each adjustment before moving on to the next step. I would assume that Gibson would verify some of this knowledge with the owner before issuing a return authorization, so there may indeed be a problem with this guitar. CNC does not preclude errors, it just means the machine will precisely follow the instructions given without any judgment or care for the final results. As such, if someone grabbed the wrong body, or instructed the wrong dimensions, it is still possible an error could occur. It is just more likely for an error to occur with the end user making the adjustments, so that should be ruled out first.

In order to grab a wrong body it would have to have too many or not enough holes. Not very likely.

Go Nigel Go

Reaction score
Not very likely, but not impossible... Grab one with not enough holes and think "I can make this work" and grab a drill. If you are wrong, there is a problem. My main point was that there could be a problem, but probably not. If built according to the plans, the guitar will work properly and the correct set up process will result in a very nice playing and well intonated guitar every time. There is not enough information in this thread to say one way or the other if this is a rare mistake, or the far more common operator error. My money would be on the latter.

PermissionToLand

Reaction score
Careful, PermissionToPost might get upset.:rofl:

I must have really nailed it calling out your behavior if it touched that much of a nerve that you're still trying to insult me this long after the fact... Amazing how you don't even realize you're proving my point with every aggressive and insulting response.

And you're surprised that it went nowhere when you tried to report somebody for asking you to stop violating the forum rules and pushing away newcomers? That really says a lot. I could have reported you a million times, as almost every time I see one of your posts, it is being unnecessarily rude and argumentative to people. Maybe I should though, since you've now vindictively stooped to the level of trying to silence me for having the gall to stand up to you. Reflexively attacking anyone who calls out your bad behavior is textbook narcissism.

Forum rules and guidelines:
  • Inflammatory posts will not be tolerated and will be removed.

Piper68Special

Reaction score
Haven't seen the guitar, but I suspect the OP's point is valid based upon: had a 2018 junior with the angled uncompensated bridge - worked perfectly; have a 2019 special with the lightening bar which arrived with problems (studs and bridge), got 100 euros refund on warranty then got non-Gibson replacement locking studs and bridge - far better, a stable bridge with decent intonation; spoke to several very experienced special/junior players who also had problems with 2019 (and after) lightening bars who made similar bridge/studs changes.

The lightening bridge has always had issues, the majority of specials on ebay/reverb from the 60s onwards have had bridge upgrades, so it's a shame that Gibson put them on the new Juniors

I have no doubt the lightning bar bridges can be problematic, but here's one you might be surprised by-

Biddlin

Reaction score
Reflexively attacking anyone who calls out your bad behavior is textbook narcissism.
Indeed it is, but I'm incredibly tolerant. You must have posted ten words to my every one in this thread. You have made wood up the rectum references and been grossly abusive. Fortunately, I don't care.

PermissionToLand

Reaction score
Indeed it is, but I'm incredibly tolerant. You must have posted ten words to my every one in this thread. You have made wood up the rectum references and been grossly abusive. Fortunately, I don't care.

Reporting people to silence them is your idea of tolerance? If you assumed the joke about tonewood sticks up the asses of Les Paul forum members was somehow about you, I don't know what to say. If you're really that sensitive, maybe you shouldn't be going around dishing out insults all the time.

The mods didn't take your bait. Take the hint and let it go.

pancake81

Reaction score
we have Mods?

I thought they sent the way of the dodo a long time ago. If we do have any, they must be a tolerant bunch

Reporting people to silence them is your idea of tolerance? If you assumed the joke about tonewood sticks up the asses of Les Paul forum members was somehow about you, I don't know what to say. If you're really that sensitive, maybe you shouldn't be going around dishing out insults all the time.

The mods didn't take your bait. Take the hint and let it go.

trypeus

Reaction score
Set up well or not, there's issues that even the best set up won't fix. A SH model that I looked at was well set up and played beautifully, it also had a gorgeous looking rosewood fretboard with a red flame down one side for about half the length of the neck from the headstock down. Unfortunately it had an electronic issue and the price adjustment offered wouldn't have covered it. The guy had tried to address it by height adjusting the pups but no dice - I think it maybe needed a new volume pot.

Go Nigel Go

Reaction score
Part of any proper set up is identifying issues accurately, and formulating a plan to address them if possible. If it is not possible to address the issues in a simple way using adjustments, it is off to the luthier's bench for modification or repair. In order to repair anything, you first have to figure out what is wrong. Guessing usually solves nothing at best, and makes things worse more often than not.

I don't know how many times I have seen people blaming the instrument when they haven't adjusted the right parts, or done things in the wrong order. Even it there actually is a problem with an instrument (like the bridge is in the wrong location or something), you need to find the issues first by measuring and testing so you will be sure you are fixing something that needs fixing, not just clutching at straws.

donepearce

Reaction score
Part of any proper set up is identifying issues accurately, and formulating a plan to address them if possible. If it is not possible to address the issues in a simple way using adjustments, it is off to the luthier's bench for modification or repair. In order to repair anything, you first have to figure out what is wrong. Guessing usually solves nothing at best, and makes things worse more often than not.

I don't know how many times I have seen people blaming the instrument when they haven't adjusted the right parts, or done things in the wrong order. Even it there actually is a problem with an instrument (like the bridge is in the wrong location or something), you need to find the issues first by measuring and testing so you will be sure you are fixing something that needs fixing, not just clutching at straws.

I have to say that repair on the Luthier's bench is not the appropriate response to a new instrument that is incorrectly made. Anyone buying a new guitar is entitled to start from a position of basic quality. The luthier should only be optimising the setup and attending to any particular requests from the owner.

Go Nigel Go

Reaction score
True, but whether you return it or fix it, the issue needs to be identified just the same. Errors shouldn't happen, but they do. They just need to be properly identified before making rash decisions or condemning an otherwise good product.

mtsv

Reaction score
I have read all 4 pages of this topic, and I have 2 deductions:

1- I appreciate the OP, both for being at 70 and still playing and buying guitars, let alone he is now chasing Gibson. Being just past 50, I cannot imagine myself doing something in 20 years. So, I bow respectfully.

2- The anatomical discussions took place more than the guitar.

Anyway, I would like to hear more about the developments.

donepearce

Reaction score
I have read all 4 pages of this topic, and I have 2 deductions:

1- I appreciate the OP, both for being at 70 and still playing and buying guitars, let alone he is now chasing Gibson. Being just past 50, I cannot imagine myself doing something in 20 years. So, I bow respectfully.

2- The anatomical discussions took place more than the guitar.

Anyway, I would like to hear more about the developments.

I can neither read nor understand point 2.

MR D

Reaction score
Dude, what is your problem? You're acting like the guy is nit-picking tiny finish imperfections. The guitar can't intonate properly even when the adjustments are maxed out. That's a legit issue.

Please keep your personal insults and bad attitude to yourself, it ruins the forum for everyone and makes newcomers feel unwelcome. This isn't supposed to be a Les Paul forum where everyone has a stick up their ass.

BWAH HA HA HA !!!

Latest posts