New SG Jr: Ridiculous errors!! Should I write to Gibson?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Tom Dickinson, Jun 15, 2021.

1. MR D

MR D Active Member

U kno, I 've only had one Not Great experience w/GIBSON USA, and never w/CUSTOM SHoppe Axe....or an ES model. GIBSON USA has always honoured my warrantty......and I've only returned one guitar (same model twice), and the retailer replaced it again w/different model....Too bad to as the 2nd time I sent the badboy back it was due to a different defect that was actually easily correctable BUT my Luthier Buddy just did not know that...and I could not see it either...a 2019 SG Standard w/3 '57 Classic Pickup's W/Sideways Vibrola model and I wish I'd kept the 2nd one, A TONE MONSTER, DANG !! That axe 'RANG'...oh well, the Maestro I got instead, is Bad to the Bone.... so it all worked out.Over the decades, two other warranty episodes were honoured by GIBSON w/no hassles what-so-ever...IMO, GIBSON stands up for that warrantty they provide.

I could not say for sure but having worked in machine shops and setting up Gun-Drill templates etc The bridge problem on the guitar in question here with 1/4" off bridge post sounds like something got in between the body of the guitar and the stop the guitar was suppossed to butt up against right before it got drilled, operator(if there is one) probably did not even see it...so a misplaced hole got drilled and there ya go.

2. madhermit

madhermit Member

@Tom Dickinson

Did you hear back from Gibson about this? I waded through all the childishness on this thread hoping to see some resolution. I would love to hear how it turned out (if at all).

Flaps and Nathan Martin like this.
  3. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    "Your guitar will be evaluated in the order it was received and we will contact you with further information."
    [​IMG]

4. madhermit

madhermit Member

Curious why are you replying? Do you know what the situation is with the OP? Did he post elsewhere?

5. Biddlin

Yes. His Jr. was made to current specs and he wants a vintage spec. In about 6 months to a year, some soul in Nashville will look at his axe, see that it's perfect and send it back...

6. Dave

Dave Well-Known Member

The are two ways to reduce manufacturing costs:
    • Move manufacturing overseas with lower labor rates for skilled works
    • Keep manufactuing in the USA and higher less skilled labor at lower pay and cut corners on materials and QC.
    Gibson chose #2

7. Biddlin

Any evidence or just propaganda?

My recent USA Gibsons show plenty of attention to detail and QC.

8. Decadent Dan

Decadent Dan Active Member

My Standard went back for finish issues earlier this year.
    They covered it under warranty and turnaround time was 2 months.
    Maybe OP will update.

madhermit likes this.
  9. Tom Dickinson

Tom Dickinson Member

So here's the finale' for this saga: Gibson replaced the guitar after acknowledging a defect in the bridge pin positioning. Sadly, they said nothing about the neck problem.....but at this point I don't expect I'll ever know what that was all about. The new guitar already arrived.....and seems 'OK'. Another sad part of this is: The thrill is gone!!

pancake81, madhermit and Decadent Dan like this.
  10. madhermit

madhermit Member

Thanks for the followup. Didn’t take too long it seems. I hope you end up bonding with your new guitar. I love my 2018 Standard.

11. pancake81

pancake81 Well-Known Member

this is the best outcome of a sh1t situation. I think the only negatively you received was regarding the fact you took the long road to het to the same destination. You did the right thing by having Gibson address it, I just think most would have taken the more direct route of retuning to seller and notifying them of defects.

12. Tom Dickinson

Tom Dickinson Member

I believe there were several comments about 'no pictures' of this original problem. To rectify that, I'm posting two pics here, one which shows the bass side of the bridge with the adjusting screw actually coming out the end, and still the bridge needs to go back further. Yes, I could buy a longer screw, but at some point the bridge would fall off the studs completely. It's already rolling foreward badly, still needs to go back further, and is clearly wrong! (Gibson confirmed this after evaluating the guitar). The other pic shows how the bass side post was screwed all the way against the body while the treble post was raised up over 3/8".....just to get the strings to lay 'level' across the fret board. So, 'neck-set' was clearly off as well. Gibson did not confirm this, but they really didn't have to. After acknowledging the fatal flaw of the bridge post position, it really didn't matter how many 'other' flaws were in the guitar; it already had the kiss of death!

There is one post back on page 2 I believe where the individual seems to think this is a 'truss rod' problem, and ".... maybe something with the nut...". No dude! For the record, I've been playing, adjusting, setting up, and working on guitars and amps for over 50 years! Frankly, I know a defect when I see it!!

Anyway, I believe Gibson got the message! And, they 'made it right' by replacing the guitar. They actually did something else as well.....but that's another story not for public disclosure. The point is that the nay-sayers that said "Gibson don't care!!'..... WRONG!!! Gibson actually did a pretty good job of resolving this. They acknowledged the defect, communicated well, and replaced the product. From a 'business transaction' standpoint, I think they did what they should have done, albeit they could have done it a bit more quickly. But, given the 'covid climate' these days, and everything taking forever to get accomplished, I think the month or so that the entire process took was probably understandable. As to the replacement guitar, it seems fine. I've sadly lost my lust for the thing, and though I've tuned it up and made a few quick adjustments to it, I've honestly lost interest in it. SAD. But, I'm sure I'll pick it up again some time in the future and when I do I hope it inspires me as I'd hoped it would originally.

Here endeth the story..............

13. Biddlin

Fresh from the factory, exactly like the one you had, who could have predicted? Two months wasted when you could have sent it back to MF and had another in a week....

14. Biddlin

[​IMG]
    I can't see them.

15. Tom Dickinson

Tom Dickinson Member

Trying again on the pics - adding one more to show the amount of 'bridge roll' that was alread existing at the point I sent it back. To have attempted to move the bridge back even further using a longer adjusting screw would have been a serious error.

Attached Files:

Biddlin likes this.
  16. Biddlin

I would have sent that back in the first instant. glad you got a good one.:cheers:

17. pancake81

Yeah I would have sent that back in a heart beat.

18. pancake81

I would have sent that immediately back to Musicians Friend for a refund or an exchange. No hesitation on that approach for me.

In the end I think you took the long road, but I am happy you got a replacement.

[​IMG]

To be honest I am surprised that passed Gibsons tolerances. Surely it was checked, just surprised that falls within the passing grade..

Chuteboxehero likes this.
  19. madhermit

madhermit Member

This quote of yours should be the takeaway…
    “Gibson actually did a pretty good job of resolving this. They acknowledged the defect, communicated well, and replaced the product.”

20. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

London, new hearing aid project - exciting
    As I said earlier - Gibson use their customers as QC. They ship the sh*t, and if anybody is pissed off enough to return it, they replace it with minimal fuss. It can make financial sense, being cheaper than setting up a real QC department and preventing shipment of any substandard guitars. Don't be fooled into thinking this is Gibson being wonderful. This is business.

Biddlin likes this.