New SG Junior precision kit ordered

Discussion in 'SG Copies' started by JohnnyGoo, Sep 14, 2014.

1. JohnnyGoo

JohnnyGoo Well-Known Member

Well ive wanted a SG Junior and i got my modded 62 but been wantin a one pick up model so i ordered a SG JR kit from precision guitar kit place. I have new gibby wrap around lightning bar.have new Jr pick guard,and i ordered it with the Humbucker route.ya i know no dog ear but i got two p90s in my classic.i have a old Vintage Dimarzio DP 106 chrome humbucker with the sun logo inscribed on it i got off ebay and its right at 11 ohms resistance.i also got a brand new Dimarzio DP 103 humbucker with aged nickel cover thats showing 8 1/2 ohms resistance.havnt decided which one.gonna take my time.do some research and try to do it best i can.i know i need some tightbond glue,some wood clamps and i seen on the internet a guy took a block of wood and cut fret slots in it for glueing neck.my winter project

bwotw likes this.
  2. Alex_SG

Alex_SG Well-Known Member

Can't wait to see this project happening!

3. JohnnyGoo

Well its gonna be slow lol.i read the precision kits are good.thinkin about makin it like a sg faded or something.im no painter .ill ask my uncle hes a wood workin guy.builds clocks and such out of mohagony.mabe someone on heres done something like that.i read where ya aint supposed to use like tung oil over stain.id like to stain it cherry.hell maybe ill just have my uncle do it.probably cherry stain with the polyurathane.anyone with a suggestion feel free.

4. ghostwolf

ghostwolf Well-Known Member

The type of polyurethane available at hardware stores does make for a durable finish, but it's very hard to get a good guitar finish with it. While each new coat of lacquer melts into the previous coat, poly just sits on top of the previous coat. Therefore, when you wet sand the finish before polishing, the sanding exposes the different layers of poly.
    My advice? Use lacquer, it's much easier to get a good finish with, and is just as easy to find commercially.

5. javamagic

javamagic Well-Known Member

Better to go for an acrylic finish. Easily applied by brush if you haven't got a spray gun (Easy to overlap wet strokes) and finishes with a decent gloss - if you put in the effort to preparation for finishing. Polyurethane is too hard and glassy for a good guitar finish. That's why it's put on the cheap ones! :)

6. JohnnyGoo

Ok thanks guys.advice well noted.just want a simple finish.stain,then acrilic.gonna use good parts .so what about the rattle can acrillic stuff ??? Decent ?? No good ? I can get ahold of about anything.just want to keep it simple.been reading about the wipe on stuff.

7. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

You must document the creation of what I am certain shall be an awesome little beastie~
    I was thinking white with a tort. shell pick guard.......or a very light powder blue......oh or T.V. WHITE.......oh that is such a cool color.......or, wait, uhm lets see wheres that BIG box of crayons Alex got me......Cornflower, thats a tasty color......

JohnnyGoo likes this.
  8. JohnnyGoo

Well eSG i like all those colors but im no painter.i figure stain and some acrillic will be good enough.id rather have it play well than some fancy finish.like a SG faded or somethin like that.i just ordered it last nite and ive been reading up on things.be a slow process.theres a guy on internet got a web page on a precision build who painted his the white .looks great.then that guy on here that painted that old JR that blueish green.that looked great.

9. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

Well you have a TV yellow, and isn't your other SG a faded or no?
    Go wild man black with white polka dots :)
    Or cover it with Fur........o.k. that WAS stupid I admit.......which company did you go with? I have toyed with the idea of getting a kit ---was going to so I could do a semi-hollow, but got my Jay Terser for less than the kit cost......so....no kit. They do have a Mustang Fender style kit at this one shop though........hhhhhmmmmm......

10. JohnnyGoo

Its a Precision guitar works kit.385$ for the SG Jr.got alot of custom options to choose from.african mohagony body,african mohagony neck with ebony fret board.22 medieum jumbo frets,can get any configuration ya want but its like ordering a computer from dell they offer this and that but price goes up.can get binding ect.mine was the premieum kit.there a JR kit on sale for 325$ with no options.same woods and stuff as mine.i got the Humbucker route.gonna run one of the two Dimarzio humbuckers i got.they actually make great pickups.got them in my old 62 and they sound great.i just like to work on stuff.plus always wanted a one pickup guitar.a SG JR.i got parts up the ying yang.

Kris Ford likes this.
  11. JohnnyGoo

I dont think they come with a nut so im gonna have to think on that one.they give ya all the specs so ill just see if theres a stock gibby one out there that will fit.or theres a great luthier in a town close by i could have him make one.my SG is a 2006 Classic.nitro finish,P90s.great guitar

Kris Ford likes this.
  12. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

Oh o.k. couldn't tell from the avatar pic :)

Well sounds like you have your work cut out for you a little "winter project"?

13. JohnnyGoo

Yep.winter project

14. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

THAT sounds like a great one for sure.

15. p19978

p19978 Member

You can get spray can nitro from ReRanch (ReRanch Guitar Refinishing); I painted a Tele a few years ago and it looks pretty decent. The website has some great info on guitar painting/refinishing.

Pelham Blue is awesome color IMHO.

The best advice I can give is to be patient; don't try to finish it in one weekend lol.

16. JohnnyGoo

Hey thanks for the link there p19978.naw im in no hurry.got two other geetars to play.

17. oldleftySG

oldleftySG Active Member

Here are my two Precision SG Jr. builds. You won't be dissapointed. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

p19978 and eS.G. like this.
  18. JohnnyGoo

Very cool oldleftysg.you do the three pickup plate urself ?? One the brown one what you use for a finish ? And what tailpiece you use if ya dont mind me askin.mines is gonna look like the little brown one.

19. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

WOW lefty. Those are some lovely ladies.

20. JohnnyGoo

Ya eSG i seen on the more expensine jr kit tbey give ya options for everything.you can get the fancy cap wood for the top.get binding ect.only change i got was the humbucker route.mainly cause my classic has p90s and i got a couple humbuckers that have no home.that bottom one of oldleftysgs is a fancy lookin rig.