New SG Junior precision kit ordered

Discussion in 'SG Copies' started by JohnnyGoo, Sep 14, 2014.

1. Bullfrog

Bullfrog Well-Known Member

I'm dangerously close to ordering a kit from Precision.

I think I'm gonna go with a LP jr first (Mountain Freak). Precision has videos of a LP jr being painted sunburst using rattle cans. It comes out really nice.

Then of course I'd like to try the sg kit.

You can get'em with really fat necks.

Kris Ford likes this.
  2. JohnnyGoo

JohnnyGoo Well-Known Member

Yep.theres the LP JR kit. Im not going real fancy on the finish since im no painter.just picked up a pint of Minwax Heritage Cherry Stain and a rattle can of the Minwax semi gloss Laquor yesterday at lowes.got some titebond 2 premieum wood glue commin from ebay.

3. oldleftySG

oldleftySG Active Member

Thanks guys. The two are really the "alpha and omega" of SG-ness. The brown is the stripped-down basic Jr., the Wolfish has everything but the kitchen sink. Here's the thread with details on Wolfish:

http://www.everythingsg.com/forum/luthiers-corner/23246-my-new-build-sg-ish.html

Brownie was also finished with the Wudtone rub-on finish (Columbian Gold- it looks a bit darker in person- the flash lightened it up). I like it because it's easy to apply (all you need are rags and steel wool), the finish is very thin, and it lets the wood grain show. GFS P-90, Tonepros tailpiece.

I did go with the thicker neck on the Wolf guitar and I like it. It's my first guitar with a thicker than normal neck. I don't know what factors helped the exceptional sustain that guitar has- purpleheart/maple, Callaham bridge, thicker neck- but it worked!

I've been delighted with the Precision kits- excellent wood and workmanship. The necks are wonderful right out of the box. I'm looking at a tele thinline for my next build.

JohnnyGoo likes this.
  4. JohnnyGoo

JohnnyGoo Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info oldleftysg.that wiring is somethin else.oh ya,my uncle the wood worker made a Mantel clock for my mother using purple heart wood and he said it was the hardest wood his ever used.that three pickup sg is a work of art

5. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Well-Known Member

Those kits do look great, I've flirted with the idea of snagging one, I would have to shape the horns to be more pointy and vintage appearing instead of body width and scoop those bevels a little deeper, but what a cool kit..

6. oldleftySG

oldleftySG Active Member

7. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

8. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

Awesome! Killer bevels on that, and very nice woodgrain. I always love a brown finish, too. Is that a stain?

9. Satellitedog

Satellitedog Active Member

Lovely grain on it. Wish it were still available.