NEW SG On the Way! Raven?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Nathan Kawa, Nov 21, 2021.

1. Nathan Kawa

Nathan Kawa New Member

I just purchased the new SG Tribute Raven. Should be here in a few days. I will review when it arrives. First post!!

2. Nathan Kawa

Nathan Kawa New Member

It strikes me as a totally blacked out SG Special. Can't wait...

3. pancake81

pancake81 Well-Known Member

Looks pretty cool. You will have to let us know how the maple neck feels, and if that extra weight makes it neck dive badly. Looks cool though, I like it

Nathan Kawa likes this.
  4. Nathan Kawa

Nathan Kawa New Member

Will do. i'm sure it will neck dive with a maple neck, but I have a strap that should cure that.

pancake81 and Go Nigel Go like this.
  5. pancake81

Just found a review on Trogly. Thought I would share in case you hadn’t seen it.

Nathan Kawa likes this.
  6. zeppelinpage4

zeppelinpage4 Member

Congrats! Excited to see it. I’m looking at the Dark Cherry model right now. These new Raven and Dark series exclusives look so cool.

Nathan Kawa likes this.
  7. AC 30

AC 30 Well-Known Member

Looking forward to review on this one.
    Congrats!

Nathan Kawa likes this.
  8. laza616

laza616 Active Member

I read it has the Richlite fretboard, i am wondering and curious what you will say about it
    I am definitely looking forward for your review, videos and photos
    And congrats for the purchase, gotta love that black satin finish

Nathan Kawa likes this.
  9. Nathan Kawa

Nathan Kawa New Member

So Ive had a little time to play with the SG. First thing I did was adjust the action lower. I dont know what gauge strings were on it from the factory but I changed them to a 9.5 to 44 gauge set. Then I changed them again to a 9 - 46 hybrid set. I like that feel with the 9 - 46.

The sound is that mighty SG snarl and bite the SG is so good at. There is a 500t pickup in the bridge position and a 496 in the neck position. I love this combination. Gets searing rock crunch to smooth blues tones. Harmonics are easy to get and sustain is pretty good.

The finish is low gloss so the wood grain shows. Everything is blacked out and it just looks so cool. The dark grey fret dots virtually disappear depending on lighting or the angle you are facing. The Richlite fretboard os uniform in color and smooth, like ebony would be. I really like the Richlite board. First guitar with it but wow, I dont think it affects tone at all and it could really be a sustainable alternative to ebony. I dont really know how much brightness or snap it adds over and ebony board but this SG is not lacking for either. The neck wood is maple and is marketed as slim taper. I dont think id call it that. Its a little thicker than say a typical Epiphone slim taper. But not a full baseball bat either. Just a bit more of a handful than a slim taper. In fact I have the Les Paul version of this as well and my neck profile gauge shows that it and the SG necks are almost exactly the same.

So, maple neck. Yup. It is prone to neck dive. But, neck dive has never bothered me but for those who it does bother, it has a dive. Probably because of the maple neck weight. A proper strap usually helpa with that. Ive actually never had an SG with neck dive before but I hear lots of talk about it. This one dives but its a non issue for me.

The nut was cut very nicely and I was able to get the action very low. Grover tuners feel great and tuning stability is wonderful. This guitar reminds a LOT of the 2012/2013 Tribute Sg thing they did. Considering those tributes were around $1099 new then, there really hasnt been a price increase in 9 years. Less the mini tune thing they did on a lot of those models, I think its a great value and includes a much better soft case. Not that foamy shotgun case they had for years. Sounds like a Gibson SG.
    1130211847_HDR.jpg 1130211846a_HDR.jpg

Attached Files:

laza616, Go Nigel Go and pancake81 like this.
  10. pancake81

Thanks for the photos, looks great. I love how the inlays disappear, kind of ghostly. Great review, thanks for taking the time

11. Nathan Kawa

Nathan Kawa New Member

I'll add some better pics when the lighting is better.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
  12. MR D

MR D Active Member

CONGRATULATIONS NGD are always THE BESTEST !!!
    NGD !!! NGD !!!! NGD !!! YIPPEE !
    You will be needing a case ? As the video posted shows that wonderful (NOT !) Half-Assed 'Leatherette' soft shell case: the Dreaded HAG-BAG !
    The P-Up combo is ceramic ? IDK much about those particular P-Up's but as long as you are cool with them is all that matters.
    ROCK THAT LI'L MOTHER !!!

Last edited: Dec 1, 2021