New SG player here.......2 questions

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by playlive, May 31, 2010.

1. playlive

playlive New Member

Hello, I finally just started playing an SG that I got brand new in 2007 (long story). Anyway , the action is ridiculously low and that is great. Also, I love the chunky neck ......it feels like they split a redwood tree in half . Love it.......I dont' even think my hands are particularly big and I still love the huge neck.

I am assuming the stock strings are 10's ? Is that correct ? Also, because the action is so low it plays really fast . It is noticably faster than my Strat (which also plays and feels great ......in differnet ways though). One concern though.......the string tension is really , really tight. Are all SG's like that ? If I put 9's on there will the string tension ease up or should I keep 10's on there and learn to live with it ?

Any input would be gratly appreciated....thanks.

2. beanbag

beanbag New Member

If you haven't already, you can try top-wraping the strings over the stop tailpiece. This will provide a bit looser feel for the strings.

3. Zeppelin Rules

Zeppelin Rules Active Member

[​IMG]

Welcome to the both of yis!

As beanbag said, top-wrapping will help somewhat. There will always be a degree of adjustment that you'll have to make between the two guitars though.

You could try 9s, and if you don't like em strings are nice and cheap and you can always go back to 10s.

4. playlive

playlive New Member

Thanks for the replies ......no I have not tried top wrapping yet or 9's. If I keep everything as is will the tension loosen over time or are tight strings common for SG's?

5. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

What gauge strings are on your Strat?
    The Strat has a longer scale length and should feel somewhat tighter with the same gauge strings as a Gibson.
    FIY, I use 10's on both Strats and SG's. 9's are too light for my taste.

6. beanbag

beanbag New Member

I definitely notice tension differences depending on the brand of string. I have been using the Ernie Ball 10s for the past year and really like them. They are not as tight as some others such as GHS or D'Addario. It might be worth buying a few sets from different manufacturers to find what you like.
    Also, raising the action a little might help. With super low action you could be getting some finger drag on the fretboard.

7. Zeppelin Rules

Zeppelin Rules Active Member

If you have a trem on your Strat, it can also effect string tension.

8. playlive

playlive New Member

My Strat has 10's as well ........... Both the Strat and SG has D'Addario 10's on them. I think I am initially going to take beanbag's advice and throw some Earnie Ball 10's on the SG and see what that does.

If that doesn't help than maybe I will try the wraparound advice. Thanks I am excited about playing and improving on my SG .

9. Guitar Whiskey

Guitar Whiskey Member

There isn't a specific string gage for a Strat or SG; it depends what model you have. Anyway, I always think it's worth experimenting with string gage on whatever guitar you have. You'll find it's not a hard and fast rule that a particular gage is going to sound better or feel better when playing it. It depends on the combination of the string gage and the wood of the particular instrument. As an example some of my Les Pauls sound better with 9's and some better with 10's. For Strats and Teles I almost always use at least 10's. Generally I prefer 10s on SG's. If you have an issue with tension try some 9's on the SG. If you don't like it try something else. I'm not a big fan of topwrapping; it feels wierd to me. Of course you ususally have to adjust the intonation when changing string gage.