New SG Standard 2014 Flaws

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Metalhead, Aug 5, 2015.

1. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Since the thread began, the OP cold have exchanged the guitar, taken it to a luthier or done a setup himself and just played it. As we virtually all have said in the first 10 posts, "If it's warrantied, exchange it."
    ;>)/

danlad and JohnnyGoo like this.
  2. JohnnyGoo

JohnnyGoo Well-Known Member

i agree Biddlin .i also dont think it left Gibbys factory like that.not that bad.that looks like its been tossed around from Warehouse to warehouse or left in the back of a pickup or something.

3. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

my take on this whole thing is just practical: the OP bought the guitar from Best Buy, which is NOT
    a guitar store. They sell appliances, electronic gizmos, phones, speakers, CDs, movies, computers
    but likely know nothing about guitars. I've seen a few at my local BB, but they looked like orphans to me.
    The weren't set up and they weren't in good shape, but they were marked with low prices.

The OP got a good price reduction on an otherwise fine Gibson guitar. I say:
    just play it.
    play it a lot. the concept of the 'pristine guitar' is a illusion, or perhaps a delusion. Especially with SGs. SGs are meant to get out in the world and get dirty. A pristine SG is like a pristine garden rake. Just a bit ridiculous IMHO.
    >if you buy a fine guitar with a few blemishes or some damage, you get much more value that it looks like. rock that sucker!
    I posted this comment on another thread where the OP was wondering in a similar way.
    Our OP here seems like he lives in a remote part of Quebec, and it might be a hassle to send or take that
    guitar back to BB. Also, Best Buy might not have any more guitars like this one... not like a GC where they might have several and you could just exchange it.
    >To me, if he's kept it this long, he's likely bonded with it and should just play the hell out of it. He should stop
    looking at it with a magnifier...Get some Music Nomad Guitar One and polish it up lovely. Get rid old strings, oil the fretboard with Fret Doctor, get a new set of good strings on it and get it set up properly by the best luthier he can find or afford. Then play it a lot. It might be the guitar of a lifetime. All my guitars have little faults here or there, they mean nothing. What's important is the music you can make with it.

Marln864, Metalhead, DoodoaXD and 5 others like this.
  4. gball

gball Well-Known Member

Well stated, Col M.

5. JohnnyGoo

JohnnyGoo Well-Known Member

Xactly Col:dude:

6. danlad

danlad Member

We're just like old men grumbling in the pub. We *like* complaining.

Actually, not so much 'we're just like' as just 'we are' :)

7. Hector

Hector Well-Known Member

I agree.. you got taken for a ride, ripped off.. send it back!

8. Metalhead

Metalhead New Member

Thanks everyone for taking time to reply. I finally sent back the guitar, the wood of the fretboard, the cracked inlay and bad setup are the main reasons. Got my money back and bought a new 2014 SG Special Heritage Cherry which is not perfect either but closer to perfection and already has a good setup.

Hector and dub-setter like this.
  9. Mr Pointy

Mr Pointy New Member

Try consulting a pro Guitar tech. Should be able to tell you if its a friday job or just set up badly. The store will certainly respect a Profesional opinion.
    Buying online is always a risk. I have done it twice though and both times I took them to my local tech to be checked over. Worked out well.

10. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Perfection is often the enemy of good.

11. goonsquanch

goonsquanch Member

For what it's worth I think you made the best decision you could.

12. 67plexi

67plexi Well-Known Member

If the new owner is OK with the flaws that nut photo makes me want to hurl. I just went through a similar issue a new DT SG plays OK
    but sounds bad plugged in, sounds good unplugged. Sweetwater was real nice on the follow call I told them I didn't care for the guitar.
    Next order a set of PAF pickups from Jim Rolph and a set of CTS 30 degree taper 500k pots from Mojomusic. I'm not a fan of potted pickups
    I enjoy screaming feedback or on the edge of it.