New SG Standard P90??

GibsonWarrior

Reaction score
Anyone got hold of one of these yet? Im seriously considering one though this whole baked maple fingerboard issue puts me off!!

saxosim

Reaction score
Hiya I had a go of one last week in my local guitarguitar shop here in England. It was really nice sound wise as I love P90s anyway, added to the standard it was great. If I am totally honest though I just did not like the baked maple fretboard. I mean playability wise it didn't seem to effect it and it felt fine it was just visually it wasn't that dark on the one I looked at. There was a used SG Special next to it from 2009 with a Rosewood board and that looked so much better. I guess it is all down to personal preference though and I have read you can darken them a lot with the right oil.

Playability wise though it was great and definitely on my wish list. I have a Les Paul type guitar with P90s and I love the sound. With the SG at least you wont break your back with the weight if playing for hours and being a standard at least you get all of the nice finishing touches. :)

SGspecial

Reaction score
It sounds interesting. I love P90's. I've been checking every time I go into Guitar Center and Sam Ash but I haven't seen one in stock yet.

Hammer

Reaction score
I saw these when they were announced and, while I like the profile of the neck on my Standard slightly better than on my Classic, the difference is minimal and the extra bling on the fretboard really doesn't matter to me, so...meh.

JustFree

Reaction score
I just ordered one today. Should have it next week and will update everyone as it seems the internet is rather barren of reviews for this guitar. I currently have a '96 special and an '83 something that wasn't a standard and had a kahler on it that I ripped out of there super-fast.

saxosim

Reaction score
Good luck with the purchase JustFree look forward to hearing what you think of them :)

JustFree

Reaction score
Twas on backorder...not sure how long I want to wait and may cancel it. However, I do have a Big Muff Pi and a Boss AC-3 Acoustic Simulator (that I shall be running my other 2 sgs through) that will be arriving from that order tomorrow :)

oldrockfan

Reaction score
That does look like a good deal and it comes with a hard sided case which is nice. I wonder if they are going to offer it in other colors? If it comes in natural burst... I might have to go check it out.

easilyamused

Reaction score
New here. I just bought one of these great guitars. Really really nice guitar. Mine is super resonant - chords ring out like no other guitar I've ever played. Of course maybe that is an SG thing - since it is my first SG (after owning a number of les pauls, telecasters, strats, a 335, etc)?

I had been interested in a classic for a while and had been saving up when I came across this guitar and I couldn't hold out any longer!

The baked maple doesn't bother me at all and is pretty dark on mine - it is actually darker than the rosewood boards on my ES-335 and my strat. I also wonder if the maple is part of the lovely ring this guitar has? It is incredibly loud unplugged. Gibson did a great job on this guitar.

I'm still on the honey moon, but I can see this guitar quickly becoming my new #1. I'll be giving it a good workout this weekend with a bunch of gigs lined up, so I'll report back with a more complete review then (and some pictures!)

mikeystool

Reaction score
welcome man!....they are sweet..nothing like p-90's....congrats!
to me its confusing, the way Gibson prices their SG's..the Standard with humbuckers is $250 more? i dont get it...traps cost that much?, and the headstock design?...cosmetics!!..and i saw the (non faded)special is also like $999.00.. no binding, 490's... to me its a strange thing..but get those (p-90) standards while you can..i bet they will go up soon..

easilyamused

Reaction score
I agree, the pricing doesn't make a lot of sense...

I mean, even comparing it to the classic - it seems you get a number of upgrades - creme binding instead of white, inlays, tone pros tuners, and a hard shell case - all for the same price? I wonder if they are under pricing some of their new models in an effort to win people over with the baked maple? If that's the case, I wouldn't be surprised to see this model move closer to the pricing of a regular standard in the not too distant future.

The Standard P-90 seems like a lot of guitar for what you pay IMO.

Oh, and here are some pics of my new guitar. Oh - and there is a cloth under the guitar, it isn't directly on cement. I'm not quite that crazy!

6919432836_529a5f24bb_c.jpg

6919434334_e27da8a9fa_c.jpg

7065515741_b426b8d96e_c.jpg

mikeystool

Reaction score
it is a sweet axe man!
for me, im amazed that the classic has remained at $999 all these years..id say that is still the best buy,that is assuming the standard goes up, which i think will..unless the humbucker standard goes down:fingersx:.. yeah right!...but on the binding aspect, i personally like the white binding over the cream color, ..i think it pops more...so imo its not an upgrade..i can say the same about the tuners, as they are white as well to match...each their own...enjoy it man!

Latest posts