New SG ?

DrBGood

Reaction score
A store exclusive ?

w7abum13siak10lqbsyz.jpg

Do I see Les Paul on the TRC ? Doesn't look like there's any veneer on this one. Look at the sticker on the control cover, that's the Epiphone partnership with Gibson Custom Shop logo ? Cool

jdudrsfq0kl0gzfyshcx.jpg

Epiphone 1961 Les Paul SG Standard
  • Neck pickup: Gibson BurstBucker 2
  • Bridge pickup: Gibson BurstBucker 3
https://reverb.com/fr/item/47538965-epiphone-sg-standard-1961-les-paul

Last edited:

pancake81

Reaction score
I feel like Mark Agnesi has a lot to do with the Epiphone line up currently. HE spoke a few years ago about how Gibson was doing well, and his main focus was going to be Epiphone. We have sure some major improvement from this brand

PermissionToLand

Reaction score
No freakin' way... an Epiphone with the rare early pickguard design?

1964 -------------------------------- Late 1960 / Early 1961
21 61 64 comparo.jpg

And no veneer... I never thought I'd see the day. Then again, I never thought I'd see the day G-400s got bound necks either. Epiphone continues impressing me.

PermissionToLand

Reaction score
CME has it, with better pics, too:

https://reverb.com/item/48017942-ep...es-paul-sg-standard-aged-60s-cherry-pre-order

gjbooejbpu3tsqj56aac.jpg

I was thinking the finish looked a bit dulled, and then I saw "aged". Is that a first for Epiphone? Obviously it's more like Gibson's VOS than aging but still, neat.

Last edited:

pancake81

Reaction score

View attachment 46663

And no veneer... I never thought I'd see the day. Then again, I never thought I'd see the day G-400s got bound necks either. Epiphone continues impressing me.

It's pretty cool to see for sure, and if Epiphone continues to make these unique and sought after guitars I think they will do really well. Gibson and Epihpone are doing a really good job of extinguishing the belief that Epiphones are this low grade instrument that folks buy when they can't afford a Gibson. It is just not the case. Gibson will remain the brand on the pedestal, but Epiphone's are just a fantastic instrument. Look at all of these back to back blind fold reviews... Both Gibson and Epiphone sound and feel amazing.

In regards the epiphone SG, I would love to see a sideways trem unit! That would get me reaching for my wallet!

PermissionToLand

Reaction score
It's pretty cool to see for sure, and if Epiphone continues to make these unique and sought after guitars I think they will do really well. Gibson and Epihpone are doing a really good job of extinguishing the belief that Epiphones are this low grade instrument that folks buy when they can't afford a Gibson. It is just not the case. Gibson will remain the brand on the pedestal, but Epiphone's are just a fantastic instrument. Look at all of these back to back blind fold reviews... Both Gibson and Epiphone sound and feel amazing.

In regards the epiphone SG, I would love to see a sideways trem unit! That would get me reaching for my wallet!

Yeah, my friend got a 2020 LP Special with the P90s and I was very impressed.

Horax

Reaction score
I saw this this morning and think it might be something to get an SG back in my hands at a reasonable price.

DrBGood

Reaction score

View attachment 46663

2003 to 2005 there was the G400 Vintage series.
- One piece neck with white binding
- Long tenon
- Added side wings on headstock
- No veneer body
- Gold MOP pineapple and logo

01-.jpg

everdying

Reaction score
ahhh... but those horns dont taper from the side... :p

i think aged finish would be similar to the previous epi faded finish...
would be nicer if this was like the recent Worn finish as the classic...

plankton

Reaction score

vancouverois

Reaction score
It seems the retail price raised a lot too, so far with the case it's almost €900.00.
Lets say a brand new Gibson SG junior is worth € 1200.00 and has nitro finish and a case too.
Not exactly the same guitar of course.

laza616

Reaction score
Pros:
One piece mahogany neck
Gibson burstbuckers
Graptech nut
Binding
Hard case
Available in the Aged white finish
Most likely no veneer

Cons:
Made in China
Cheap hardware
No nitro finish
Second grade materials
Poorer quality check possible
For this price you can buy the used Gibson SG Tribute made in USA model or even Standard
It will not have a resale value as a real Gibson

Gibson custom co-op means its gonna be made in USA? Pickups will be made in USA or licenced chinese made Gibsons?
I paid 800€ for my Gibson SG standard 2009 with the hardcase and all the papers, never repaired. So i am quite thinking if they arent asking a bit too much.....few years back you could buy a genuine Gibson SG faded made in USA for 600....
Nowadays prices are weird....

Last edited:

DrBGood

Reaction score
Pros:
One piece mahogany neck
Gibson burstbuckers
Graptech nut
Binding
Hard case
Most likely no veneer

Cons:
Made in China
Cheap hardware
No nitro finish
Second grade materials
For this price you can buy the used Gibson SG Tribute made in USA model or even Standard

Gibson custom co-op means its gonna be made in USA? Pickups will be made in USA or licenced chinese made Gibsons?
I paid 800€ for my Gibson SG standard 2009 with the hardcase and all the papers, never repaired. So i am quite thinking if they arent asking a bit too much.....few years back you could buy a genuine Gibson SG faded made in USA for 600....
Your cons are obviously corksniffing cons. If you are so biased, why even look or comment on this thread ? Makes you feel superior ? Go buy a Gibson and leave this kind of thread alone.

Gawd ...

pancake81

Reaction score
Pros:
One piece mahogany neck
Gibson burstbuckers
Graptech nut
Binding
Hard case
Most likely no veneer

Cons:
Made in China
Cheap hardware
No nitro finish
Second grade materials

Pro & Con lists are really just someones preference, and that's fine. I guess you are telling us what you consider positive and negatives of this guitar. Some folks might even find some of your pros a negative, and decide to not buy the guitar because of them. Or perhaps purchase it, but then modify it. For example, some folks hate a guitar with binding, so that could rule them out, or maybe they love bone nuts... So your pro just became their number one part to swap out. All in all I see what you are saying though, and I think many would agree with some of your points.

I would also add that some of your Cons are kind of irrelevant. Like to say that an epiphone does't have a nitro finish, is more of a fact to me. Better or worse, Epiphones have Polyurethane finishes. Poly has some great qualities too, its tough as nails for one! But to use that comparison is like saying the downside of a Ferrari is it doesn't have a diesel engine.

You bring up a good point in your last paragraph in regards to where they will be constructed. I would assume overseas... I think a second Chinese shop with tighter QC is not feasible. Like a Chinese Eipiphone Custom shop(?). Doesn't make sense to me, would they start to build all of the custom guitars and Sheratons there too?

Comparing a used market guitar to a new guitar is apples to oranges. Looking at historic prices of even a few years ago makes even less sense.

Last edited:

Latest posts