New sound like the Smashing Pumpkins Pedal Day.

Bettyboo

Reaction score
"Congratulations! You have just purchased the finest overdrive pedal developed to date for the electric guitar player."

20150817_203312_resized.jpg

Blimey, that's a bloody good start to me day! &, coming from such a well known quality pedal producer (at very affordable rates... :D), I have some hope that I will be doing a bit of this before too long:

I had an EHX Germanium 4 Big Muff Pii which was great, but it had 8 knobs; I didn't really know what was going on half the time, so let it go to a mate.

This little beauty has 2 knobs and 1 switch.
Position 1: 1 knob works (an overdrive with a bit of fuzz to it).
Position 2: 1 knob is a volume, one knob is a fuzzy galore enabler!

20150817_203149_resized.jpg

Small, and saweet... Simple and saweet... I will be putting my always on EHX Soul Food into it, and a TC Electronics Dark Matter (if it ever arrives) after it, so that should be me OD and dirt sorted.

:dude::dude::dude:

I reckon it sounds pretty good in this video:

Ree't, I'm off to give it a go through me 498T, so I will report back.

BTW, so so very close to ordering a Bare Knuckle Nanchuket today, but then I saw a Woolf P90, so I'm thinking about that one. I wonder how a P90 would sound through this pedal? I bet it would sound amazing...

Bettyboo

Reaction score
Position 2: 1 knob is a volume, one knob is a fuzzy galore enabler!

A muff galore, a errm what galore?

Anyways, this is especially for eS.G.

PussyGalore.jpg

Last edited:

Bettyboo

Reaction score
Geeat song

Not when I play it, it's not... :naughty:

OK, well, errm, that was harder than I thought it would be... I had read that the Double Muff doesn't play nice with other pedals unless it's first in the line, but I kinda ignored that thinking the Soul Food would just give it a nice little boost into leads. But, no. The Double Muff does not like the Soul Food going into it. Fullstop. So, the Double Muff is first in line, on the single OD mode, quite nice, a bit muffy, not much (but loads more than the SF), turn on the SF and errrm, horrible shrill. The double Double Muff is better going into the SF, but the best noises I can get with the combo just reminds me of stuff like this:

No worries about cutting through the mix with those two together, but you know that sometimes it feels that Sonic Youth were just making experimental sounds to see what was possible without really caring if it sounded any good; that's the SF and DM together; you can get every sound in the above song with them.

Then, on the neck with both on; just nice fuzz drive that would cut through the mix for solos very well.

So there we have it; lots of options, and if you want to go all Sonic Youth then you are laughing, Sir!

It's gonna take some time to work out what to do with these, and another distortion should turn up any day now??? Confused. I'll leave you with more of the kinda sounds I was just getting:

JohnnyGoo

Reaction score
Sonic Youth kinda remind me of the first White Stripes.Jack White playin all those pawn shop guitars and Fuzzz.

Bettyboo

Reaction score
It seems like a really good pedal, can do lots of stuff, and is supposed (some say...) to sound much better into a dirty tube amp than a SS like my baby Fly; so once I whack it into the Randall we may have something special. :hmm:

It's just gonna take time to work it all out.

JohnnyGoo

Reaction score
if i run my Boss overdrive into my amps with it set to high it wants to shrill.to much.i think im just gonna try a Fuzz pedal or somethin. alot of these amps have a Gain and Volume so you dont really need a overdrive.might work better on a clean amp.

Bettyboo

Reaction score
^ not sure, JG, but I want noise and I'm gonna get it (I have it). :D

Experimentation, it worked for that fella Hendrix! :dude:

Bettyboo

Reaction score
^ Blimey, G75 - I only have 6 pedals and 3 or 'em are distortion pedals, yet you want me to get another! :D

Funnily enough, I was thinking the mini tubescreamer is a decent price and who needs a looper pedal on their board anyways! :dude:

TSMini-xlarge-236x450.jpg

Right, I'm off to play with the DM for a while. BTW, it and the SF are exactly the same size, same enclosure, quite small pedals compared to a Boss DS1.

peejaybee

Reaction score
It's gonna take some time to work out what to do with these, and another distortion should turn up any day now??? Confused. I'll leave you with more of the kinda sounds I was just getting:

I love Sonic Youth and would attempt to learn many, many of their songs if they came anywhere close to standard tuning.

I'd probably start right about here:

Bettyboo

Reaction score
Double Muff nano update:

I've had the DM a few days, just here at home (not tried her with the baby tube Randall yet - I'm very much looking forward to that at the weekend:dude:), and I don't much like turning it off now. Everything sounds so wimpy and lacking through the SF alone... One interesting point is how the pups are now differentiated and I'm now using the neck pup lots more with both pedals on; pretty close to nice Sonic Youth tones - and I haven't even tried any delay and/or reverb fun yet (15 days and my reverb and grit pedals still haven't arrived from Germany... The DM took under a week from Amazon US!).

If I'm powerchording up the neck then just lazy powerchords running the fingers along the strings sounds really nice; fuzzy movement between chords. :D Loads and loads of sustain, with the SF too it's just never ending.

There is just so much tone movement though - the single muff tones are muffy OD which can take the very dark bridge tone into an overly bright tone when the SF is turned on (usable indie punk tone there though). With both on and the neck pup, it's a perfect cutting tone for little leads or just making a patchwork of noise with a band (I should imagine...). The DM mode is quite different and affects the SF differently too. The DM on the neck pup with the SF on is quite a nice (very nice actually) rhythm sound with enough cut to stand out - it's almost an alternative to the normal bridge with SF (and some distortion). The DM on the bridge pup with no SF is Death Metal territory - I presume, I'm just trying to express it's dark, think and full...

Very interesting pedal. For $50 or so, you really should get one - I've heard folks preferring the DM nano to the normal DM, so it's a win win win on price, space and sound. You know you want to; here's the link!

http://www.amazon.com/Electro-Harmo...rive-Pedalie=UTF8&refRID=1RB457GGS5FD8TEKAMB6
(You don't have to tell the wife; she'll hear it once it arrives! :D)

Last edited:

Bettyboo

Reaction score
Sorry about another update, but this amazing thing just happened:

Volume knobs on the guitar!

Many of you folks are excellent players who know your way around a guitar, but I'm a crap novice with very little knowledge... I'd always been a bit irritated by: 1) I'm not using the neck pup much; 2) The volume on the 50s wiring only gave me from 8 and half to 10. :mad: This improved with the Soul Food, more volume range to about 7 before you lose half the volume.

So, DM + SF, I thought I'd see how the volume knobs work, and it is amazing - finally, the guitar works as I want it to; just leave them both on, all the time. The basic SF only sound at 10, with the DM on is replicated with a tad more sustain and a tad sweeter tone (to my ears, nicer mids), at about 4 and a half. On the neck, the full 10 SF sound is replicated at 4 when the DM is added. There isn't much volume change in these ranges, just tone change (ok, a bit of volume too), and neither become fuzzy until about 7, before then just OD. So, with both pedals on, you get the SF tone around 4, nice single muff addition OD until about 7 then muff to loads of full on double muff between 9 and 10; that's like 3 pedal options available on the volume controls alone. I'm a very happy bunny indeed.

Lots of you know this already, so it's not news, but the way the two pedals work to give their full range of tones, easily and controllably on a sensible range by just turning the volume knob is, well it's almost:

monica-bellucci-bicycle1.jpg

My fingers are now hurting; that hasn't happened in a long time.

This is where we're at around 9 on the bridge:

Same pedal in a bigger box, played by somebody who can use it properly:

(I'm getting much much heavier sounds with the SG than he is with that strat.)

Last edited:

Gemini75

Reaction score
^ Blimey, G75 - I only have 6 pedals and 3 or 'em are distortion pedals, yet you want me to get another! :D

Funnily enough, I was thinking the mini tubescreamer is a decent price and who needs a looper pedal on their board anyways! :dude:

TSMini-xlarge-236x450.jpg

Right, I'm off to play with the DM for a while. BTW, it and the SF are exactly the same size, same enclosure, quite small pedals compared to a Boss DS1.

The ts will tighten the low end of the fuzz up considerably, giving you a smoother distortion.