New toys and some help needed

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by madguitarsolo, Jun 21, 2008.

1. madguitarsolo

madguitarsolo Active Member

Just bought an audio interface. An E-MU Tracker Pre. Has 2 mic/line inputs with phantom power and is usb out. Tried my friend's Tapco USB Link but it didn't work with vista. Also bought a midi controller. A CME M-Key, which works with vista.

I have a problem with it though, there is about a second latency with the keyboard. It's going through USB aswell. This means it's really not any good for sequencing. Does anyone know a fix for this?

2. ricardo_vicente

ricardo_vicente Active Member

Hi MGS,

I had a similar problem with a midi keyboard.
    I was able to cut the latency to a negligible minimum by changing the settings in my recording software (in my case Cubase).
    I don't know what software you are using and can't tell you exactly which settings I changed and how - it was more trial and error - but I hope this might at least point you in the right direction.
    Have a browse around forums dedicated to home recording and the software you are using. I found a lot of good pointers on the Cubase forum. It's a common problem so you shoulf find lots of threads.

Good luck!

3. madguitarsolo

Thanks ricardo. I'm using Cubase SX3. The interface came with LE4, so I might try that out soon. I'll certainly be looking everywhere for a fix.

4. madguitarsolo

Taken the midi keyboard back. Messed about with every setting possible for about 15 hours with it and got very frustrated. They said I need a better soundcard. Because I have the E-MU interface, I'm guessing I need a MIDI interface. Haven't got enough money for anything at the minute and still need a few hundred more for uni by september. Music is expensive :cry:

5. cjlinus

cjlinus Member

Madguitar,

I feel your pain, I upgradded my computer in Feburay which meant that I could upgrade my software and plugins, which meant that then I could use a better preamp, which in turn meant that I needed a filtered power supply, which now means that I need to finnish tuning the room, which means.... oh bother.

6. jetlag

jetlag Member

[quote author=madguitarsolo link=topic=17186.msg213951#msg213951 date=1214059752]
    it didn't work with vista.
    [/quote]

Surprise surprise! :roll:

7. madguitarsolo

[quote author=jetlag link=topic=17186.msg214551#msg214551 date=1214699888]
    Surprise surprise! :roll:
    [/quote]

Yeh, I would like XP again for another couple of years until vista becomes the standard.

8. Ry-Guy

Ry-Guy Member

Im not saying that this is your problem. There are a lot more variables involved.. But you might get latency if you have a USB interface... I think you should be okay if it is a USB2.0 interface and you have USB2.0 inputs in your computer with correct drivers..

9. Constellation80

Constellation80 Member

Do you run it in a differn't capatability mode?

10. madguitarsolo

I ran it in as many variables as possible inside Cubase, 100-150 different ways. Ry-Guy: Yeh it was all 2.0. I think I may upgrade my audio interface to the next one up, which is audio and midi together.