New tuners on my Epi SG G-310

TChalms

Reaction score
I got my made in China G-310 real cheap a couple years ago with the intention of being able to use it to learn to work on and hopefully to end up with a playable guitar.

I've changed pickups, pots, nut, learned to adjust the truss rod and intonation, and now I've changed the tuners.

I removed one of the original tuners and compared its measurements with the specs of tuners listed on the stewmac.com website and found a set of 18:1 Grover locking tuners with the same measurements. And yes, they fit perfectly without having to drill new holes. Yay!!

The difference is night and day, chalk and cheese. The old tuners were supposedly 14:1 but they were loose and sloppy. The new Grover tuners are sooooo nice, and it stays in tune so much better.

And the education really feels nice.

TChalms

Reaction score
Yes. This guitar is definitely great to play and I love all the tones I can get. I use the middle pickup position the most and use the two volume and two tones in all various combinations. And then I've got the coil split tone pots to double the options. So instead of being a G-310, maybe it's more like a 620. Ha!
And I actually like the bolt-on neck = no neck dive.
And I've learned to play the fat neck which is quite different than the skinnier neck guitars that I've played before.
And I've been learning to play with a lighter touch. The bigger frets on this guitar meant that my old death grip on the neck has relaxed.

I totally understand the point about having spent more money than the guitar is worth. But again, the education is worth the extra cost. If I had bought a new guitar off the rack, I wouldn't have learned what I know now. Not that I know everything - far from it. But I love guitars and I want to learn everything I can.

So yeah, a big thanks to all of you educators here. I've read and learned a lot from you all.

Also on my education agenda is amps ... I will never be bored. I pulled the tubes on my Blackstar HT-5R to get the model numbers and reseated them and now it sounds tons better. But I ordered new tubes anyway.

Cheers!

HiclassHoboSG

Reaction score
Always keep learning! I’ve got an Epi SG Special that I bought solely for the purpose of learning the mechanics of the guitar, ended up liking the guitar so much it took me almost a year to tear it down to mod it. A little word to the wise if you are ever needing to upsize the holes for the tuners use a reamer…. Apparently even a brand new sharp as hell drill will make a mess out of your headstock.

TChalms

Reaction score
I double that request, please
I'll see what I can do. Just don't hold your breath. It's a clear day in Oregon and I need to mow my lawn = it's been a couple months since we had a clear weekend. To top it off, the leaves are deep.

TChalms

Reaction score
These are the Grover Mini Locking Rotomatic tuners. They were a perfect fit for the stock tuners. [GALLERY=media, 3852]IMG_20211120_153215635 by TChalms posted Nov 20, 2021 at 4:08 PM[/GALLERY][GALLERY=media, 3851]IMG_20211120_152914477 by TChalms posted Nov 20, 2021 at 4:08 PM[/GALLERY]

Col Mustard

Reaction score
my experience with Epiphone guitars has been great.

it's my opinion that Epiphones are built to a price point,
and so they can benefit from adding cool components
but they don't always need this.

My experience with Epiphones is that they respond really well to upgrades. So making ye Silk Purse out of ye pig ear is possible, and it's also fun.

Caledonia 2016@100.jpg

TChalms

Reaction score
my experience with Epiphone guitars has been great.

it's my opinion that Epiphones are built to a price point,
and so they can benefit from adding cool components
but they don't always need this.

My experience with Epiphones is that they respond really well to upgrades. So making ye Silk Purse out of ye pig ear is possible, and it's also fun.
Good point! And great pic!

papagayo

Reaction score
These are the Grover Mini Locking Rotomatic tuners. They were a perfect fit for the stock tuners. [GALLERY=media, 3852]IMG_20211120_153215635 by TChalms posted Nov 20, 2021 at 4:08 PM[/GALLERY][GALLERY=media, 3851]IMG_20211120_152914477 by TChalms posted Nov 20, 2021 at 4:08 PM[/GALLERY]

Is there a version for men ?

Sorry...

Reaction score

Do you have a model # for the Grovers?

I put a set of identical looking Grovers on an Epi SG. Mounting screws were good but I had to ream to 10mm. Did your Epi come with 10mm holes or are those Grovers 8mm?

jtcnj

Reaction score
I just got a minty set of used Grover 102-18C Rotomatic tuners for a new build.
These are 10mm, and the screw hole is at 6:00.
I dont know what model the OP used
And, yes the hand reamer works really well.

Dont get impatient and try to cheat by reaming both sides of the hole a bit and then trying to carefully run a drill bit through without it catching and pulling through.
Dont, just ..... dont.

I knew better...... but got impatient.
You can see the chip outs at the A and D strings.

20211212_104407-2.jpg
20211214_185931-2.jpg 20211220_195754-2.jpg

sazista

Reaction score
Yes. This guitar is definitely great to play and I love all the tones I can get. I use the middle pickup position the most and use the two volume and two tones in all various combinations. And then I've got the coil split tone pots to double the options. So instead of being a G-310, maybe it's more like a 620. Ha!
And I actually like the bolt-on neck = no neck dive.
And I've learned to play the fat neck which is quite different than the skinnier neck guitars that I've played before.
And I've been learning to play with a lighter touch. The bigger frets on this guitar meant that my old death grip on the neck has relaxed.

I totally understand the point about having spent more money than the guitar is worth. But again, the education is worth the extra cost. If I had bought a new guitar off the rack, I wouldn't have learned what I know now. Not that I know everything - far from it. But I love guitars and I want to learn everything I can.

So yeah, a big thanks to all of you educators here. I've read and learned a lot from you all.

Also on my education agenda is amps ... I will never be bored. I pulled the tubes on my Blackstar HT-5R to get the model numbers and reseated them and now it sounds tons better. But I ordered new tubes anyway.

Cheers!
I'll never get rid of my 2011, Made in Indonesia G-310 (shown in my avatar with my Gibson), it has a sleek and fast neck, almost black like ebony and with the JB/Jazz and push pulls, it keeps up with others.

TChalms

Reaction score
Do you have a model # for the Grovers?

I put a set of identical looking Grovers on an Epi SG. Mounting screws were good but I had to ream to 10mm. Did your Epi come with 10mm holes or are those Grovers 8mm?

Apologies I haven't checked in for a while = too busy with end of the year bookkeeping, etc.

The StewMac website calls the ones I got:
Grover Mini Locking Rotomatics (406 Series) 3+3 Tuners
StewMac uses Item # 0875.
The package has number GX1239.
The package says: (Hole size .391 = 25/64 Drill bit)
And yeah, the posts fit the holes perfectly.

In looking at the diagrams on the StewMac website, it shows that the nut is 10mm, and the post is 0.390" (9.91mm).

Last edited:
Reaction score
I just got a minty set of used Grover 102-18C Rotomatic tuners for a new build.
These are 10mm, and the screw hole is at 6:00.
I dont know what model the OP used
And, yes the hand reamer works really well.

Dont get impatient and try to cheat by reaming both sides of the hole a bit and then trying to carefully run a drill bit through without it catching and pulling through.
Dont, just ..... dont.

I knew better...... but got impatient.
You can see the chip outs at the A and D strings.

View attachment 46713
View attachment 46714 View attachment 46715

You can do that, but you need to take a couple precautions:

1. Ream both sides/surfaces to the 10mm diameter first using the ream.
2. Get a sharp 3/8" brad point bit (fluted wood-working type).
3. Use the bit by hand. I don't mean "in a hand drill", but literally holding the bit in your hand. Wrap some duct tape on it as a handle if it's hard to hold.

The idea is to use the sharp flutes of the sides bit to cut the center of the hole. But, for "don't want to chip the surface" insurance, you have to cut both surfaces first with the reamer. The 3/8" bit is slightly smaller than the 10mm reamed surface. That's part of the insurance. Using the bit by hand is a little cumbersome and won't give a perfect cut, but the roughness is inside the hole and is nothing anyone can see when you're done.

It's a much better choice than over reaming the surface with those angular reams just to get the center of the hole large enough.

FWIW, there is a bit they sell that will cut an existing hole larger without anything to pilot the bit, but they are uncommon and hard to work with unless you have a drill press.

Reaction score
Apologies I haven't checked in for a while = too busy with end of the year bookkeeping, etc.

The StewMac website calls the ones I got:
Grover Mini Locking Rotomatics (406 Series) 3+3 Tuners
StewMac uses Item # 0875.
The package has number GX1239.
The package says: (Hole size .391 = 25/64 Drill bit)
And yeah, the posts fit the holes perfectly.

In looking at the diagrams on the StewMac website, it shows that the nut is 10mm, and the post is 0.390" (9.91mm).

Thanks. Looks like you already had 10mm holes if those fit. I had the smaller "vintage" holes.

TChalms

Reaction score
Thanks. Looks like you already had 10mm holes if those fit. I had the smaller "vintage" holes.
I find it interesting that there are different sizes of posts and holes, etc. But I guess that I shouldn't be surprised. But like I said, I'm learning a lot here.

I didn't measure the holes in my SG because the posts fit perfectly. but I did measure the old parts and compared those to the measurements given on the StewMac website and picked out tuners that seemed to match up with my measurements.

Since the posts I used are spec'd to be 0.390" (9.91mm) and the nut takes a 10mm wrench, I would guess that the holes on my made in China Epi SG would be smaller than 10mm. Do you have the size of the posts you used?

Latest posts