New Vox Custom Classics

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by sgSter, Mar 29, 2005.

1. sgSter

sgSter Member

To make my Amp hunting even more complicated I just found out about some new Vox Custom Classic 30 (for $1000!) and thought I'd share. I'm sure(hoping!) the Voxman will investigate thoroughly! :)

2 blend-able channels feature fully variable tremolo with footswitchability, a custom EQ switch on the Top Boost channel, and Brilliant switch on the Normal channel. Spring reverb with dwell switch, footswitchability, and tone control; plus an effects loop with full bypass and level control give you precision command over a broad range of sounds. Boutique features include switchable cathode bias for lower power and longer tube life plus switchable smoothing filter values for looser or tighter feel. Baltic birch cab, vintage-style transformers, tone cut control, heavy-duty cover, and included dual footswitch.

Features:

30W all tube
    2 Vox GSH12-30 12" speakers
    Custom/normal EQ switch on Top Boost channel
    Normal channel with Brilliant switch
    Blendable Normal & Top Boost channels
    Spring reverb with Dwell switch and tone control
    Fully variable tremolo on all channels
    Post-phase-inverter master volume
    True bypass variable-level effects loop
    Switchable cathode bias
    Switchable smoothing filter values
    Footswitch for tremolo and reverb
    Baltic birch ply cabinet
    Vintage-style transformers
    Tone Cut control
    Heavy-duty cover
    Dual footswitch for reverb and tremolo
    Specifications:

27-3/4"W x 21-1/4"H x 10-1/2"D
    70.5 lbs.

2. Hard2Hear

Hard2Hear Member

I will be buying one of these, it's just a matter of time. I'll probably go with the standard 2x12 non-blue setup. I mean, new for $999 how can it be wrong? There will probably be a few on the used market later in the year for even less than that, which is probably when I'll get one.

H2H

3. sgSter

sgSter Member

To good to be true? Sounds like a lot of amp for the $$. :) I'm Vox illiterate so I'm not sure what sounds these are capable of. Also curious about the Tube compliment in these. I found a review in the latest MF catalog and it mentions it has a power-cut switch to go from 30 to 22W. I'm gonna hunt around these weekend and see if anyone's got one to try.

4. Sgmaniac

Sgmaniac Guest

5. Hard2Hear

Hard2Hear Member

6. sgSter

sgSter Member

Thanks for the link h2h. Wow, thats something! At that price point think they'll be hard to get when they finally do arrive? I'm usually a bit leary about getting first-edition anything but this needs serious investigation!

7. Sgmaniac

Sgmaniac Guest

Looks like Vox is getting ready to kick some butt in the mid priced amp market (watch out Fender). They are already cleaning up with those wonderful Valvetronix amps, and now this, very cool!!!! 8)

8. sgSter

sgSter Member

Just noticed the price difference on that link for the AC30CC2X with Celestion Blue Speakers. $500 difference!

9. Voxman

Voxman Moderator Staff Member

SgSter, I did try it a couple of weeks ago....loved the sound but didn't care for the construction....was going to get one yesterday but got some guitars instead. I got enough cabinets with Celestion Blues in em so I'm gettin a head......Me liked playin it but I felt it needed Mullards across the board to REALLY blow everyone away. Lots of cool features. :oops: I forgot to post about it :oops:

10. sgSter

sgSter Member

Thanks Voxman! :) When you say "construction" are you referring to the Cab or hardware? Also, did you try it with the GSH12's? The version with "blues" has a 50% premium.

11. Voxman

Well they were being shipped on Thursday and they cannot come near meeting demand from all the dealers that have ordered....... :x And the lowly Voxman is on the bottom of the piority list... :(

12. paradox

paradox Active Member

I would think the "construction" issues would not be the cabinet, but probably the fact that the amp is a mix of Printed Circuit Board construction and handwiring... NO tube purest wants to see PCB's!!!
    However, it don't look that bad. One thing I thought was weird...
    they get it right and mount the tube sockets on the chassis, but they do it with rivets!!! Damn bean counters, let em turn a screwdriver!!!!!
    In light of this I would still buy if I could...

13. Voxman

I'm not so sure about that either and mentioned amps from the past that failed because of it......but was informed that the preamp tubes don't put out the volume of heat to affect anything? Not sure that was the answer and the computer ribbons from point to point had my tail between my legs! But the sound and options were top shelf, I thought......wish I had someone else with me to bounce sonic questions off of.... :?

14. Voxman

Now on to the Vox Custom Classic.....................

I took the friecracker on the top oudt und put the tone rocket on the bottom in V1......

[​IMG]

I love this deal......tubes go through a rubber grommet and the vertical chassis into a circuit board

[​IMG]

Here's the other side of the card...... :oops: I'm so embarrassed CB,Dox, Ess, Skids, T,six, spunk,brew ,Vic, Bloos, SGM jes the list goes on and on....just read the cup! :shock: :oops: :cry:

[​IMG]

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

But so far that little change put the tone thru the roof! Gonna try the other two......

15. skidshark

skidshark Active Member

(skids stares into the bottom of empty cup...........wonders how it got here......

16. Voxman

Heheheheheheheh....embarrassed about the PVC circuit board and caps and tube sockets soldered to the board! :oops: Felt the need to apologize......

17. skidshark

skidshark Active Member

izzzzokay voxxy...what's she SOUND like??

18. Voxman

Ok ...now I put in some used Mullard {3} I63's which were 13 year old pulls from a Fisher Tube Stereo.... :oops: I shoulda kept the Stereo...DuH! Well the Harmonics went from outstanding to amazing the pulls sounding better than the I63 NOS' I have.....they might of been the 10mm plate ones as I got to go check again. They were in an old box in the basement :lol: and are fine! The amp got much louder and most touch sensitive depending on your Left hand pressure and pick attack!
    Now I took out the 4 Sovtec power tubes and just put these in............

[​IMG]

Philips 6BQ5/EL84's ....JAN, Joint army and navy so they don't rattle and the elements are tight. They can handle it...there warming up right now..........

19. ess

ess Guest

im feeling the need to kneel before them toobs :shock:

20. Voxman

They sounded good be hummed a bit so there probably not the best choice in this application......I think a quad of low current draw Ei's might do the trick but.......