New Vox Custom Classics

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by sgSter, Mar 29, 2005.

1. bscepter

bscepter Member

Wait just a darned minute... I thought that the tube sockets were mounted on the chassis:

[​IMG]

2. paradox

paradox Active Member

I think those are the power tube sockets which are mounted to the chassis (which we commented earlier on the use of rivets..) I think the
    preamp tubes are the ones that are board mounted.. I still think this is a sweet amp and watched the video on it several times (okay maybe more), now I'm just waiting for Vox to move to florida to watch him play through it!

3. paradox

paradox Active Member

Vox did you mean current Ei's or are there Ei NOS tubes? If you're thinking current tubes get the Ei golds, I pulled the stock Ei's out of the marshall, sounded a little flat with em, however I have heard they can come from the factory biased kinda cold, I never checked, just put in replacements and rebiased it (DSL401).

4. bscepter

bscepter Member

I think they're pretty tempting, too. Heck, for just under a grand, everyone should have one! I wonder how my P90'd Classic would sound through those EL84s...

5. Sgmaniac

Sgmaniac Guest

6. Sgmaniac

Sgmaniac Guest

Guess not, MF has them for $999.00.

7. Voxman

Voxman Moderator Staff Member

You needed to go back and look at the 2nd and 3rd photo's I posted again.......there preamp toobs! On the bottom/underside 3rd photo are the coupling caps, by the tube sockets, and they said they "spent money on those ones"....... I have no schematic yet even though I've asked and I'd love to put the old Philips C293 Mustard caps in there for a tone spin but due to the nature of the modern construction techniques I'd pretty much have to strip the amp down to get to the bottom of the cards! No easy task, to say the least...... :shock:
    Next a photo that puts a scare into the voxman's inner being..... :shock: Hold that thought!

8. Voxman

[​IMG]

CON5 :shock: I'm scared! And CB look at those transistor radio caps :shock: So far they seem to work in this application fine? I guess.

[​IMG]

This is the future I guess...... :cry: :? But again it seems to work sooooooo........

[​IMG]

CON 3 anyone? :shock: ....Those are tube sockets? :shock: And we see some couping caps....anyone ever see them before? Or know the make/source?

Don't get me wrong I like the amp with the proper tubes but after I played it neck to neck with numerous JMI AC 30's there is no comparison at all, the richness and warmth, there's just something very special about an old JMI AC30.......but if you want to get into that AC30 sound and one of the recent EVOLUTIONS of the AC30's, either spend $2800 or $1000 for a AC30 Custom Classic! I'm worried how their going to hold up but right now I have a Cavalier attitude......it does accurate Beatles, to U2, to Hard rock perfectly.....Metal sounds you need a pedal!

9. ess

ess Guest

kewl! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

10. skidshark

skidshark Active Member

(VOX)!!

11. paradox

paradox Active Member

The Marshall DSL401 I have uses the same board mounted sockets for the preamp tubes and the power tubes as well!!! I've have it a couple of years and its going fine... Even tho it gets limited use, that particular design (DSL401) gets hot as hell, and hopefully that says something for how the sockets hold up. I don't recognize the manufacturer of those caps, but they have that mallory shape, they are 400v caps. -- I'm sure you've seen the 400v mallory's (smaller than the 630v ones) -- they look similar in size and type, so who knows - black mallorys!! BRUHAHAHA... Enjoy it!!!

12. sgSter

sgSter Member

Very cool Vox! Thanks for all your research. Does that CC have the Blues in it or is the base model?

13. Voxman

14. crippe

crippe Member

I'm seriously thinking of getting one... :D

15. Voxman

Please try before you buy as with everything else there are trade off's to make this amp work at that price......your ears will lead you! :wink:

16. crippe

crippe Member

You got one right Vox? If my local music store will give me a good deal I'll get it there, the thing is that I have never played an AC30 :( So finding trade offs (beside the obvious ones) is pretty impossible for me. I'll give it good workout though...

17. Voxman

My concern is that you like it before you lay out the $ so a trip to try it out would be best, especially if your not at all familiar with AC30's of any vintage or period! I can't stress that enough......

18. crippe

crippe Member

Damn, no Custom Classics available in Europe until September... :evil:

19. bscepter

bscepter Member

The AC30 has a really distinctive sound, and it's not for everyone. Once the hype (and shortage) dies down, I would expect to start seeing a few on eBay for around $850 or so, for those of you who can wait. Me, I'm going to wait and buy one when they drop below $900...

20. Spunky

Spunky Active Member

My question is....

Will they spontaneously ignite and burn just like the old AC30's.

:lol: