New Vox Custom Classics

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by sgSter, Mar 29, 2005.

1. crippe

crippe Member

Ok, I initially missed something here. Vox has ended the British production of AC30's (except for the HW) and AC15's (R.I.P). 'Regular' AC30's, now called AC30CC, will be made in China from here on...

2. crippe

crippe Member

My local music dealer got hold of one :) I'll try her out tomorrow and who knows...maybe I'll take her home with me. If so I'll return with some pics.

3. Voxman

Voxman Moderator Staff Member

My best ones......and the ones with the most potential are ones that went up spectacularly in smoke and flame......AND when they didn't work right when I got them, I knew they were going to be my best.......I'm not kidding! After I was done repairing / tweezing with each one and used it/them on gigs people would take CASH out of there pocket and offer it ON THE SPOT! The most I've turned down was $3500 cash for my favorite which had one speaker working and one jack working...barely...... Took 3 years to get right! But that's just my experiences, as I can't say what someone else's would be! It's a tribute to their design that they are even working at all for their 40 years on earth after running balls to the wall all those years..... If ya can't stand the heat stay out of the kitchen and buy something new....The supreme wail can be coaxed out of an AC30, more so than a Marshall....I'm no expert at all but I've had lots of each and all the boutique ones to know and that's what I base my opinion on

4. Spunky

Spunky Active Member

OK VOX,

I want a flaming AC30 now.....
    You got my GAS going.

Point me in the right direction, please!

5. Voxman

Ya first need to try an old used JMI that might be limping along on three legs...got to be one for sale somewhere near you... and loud! After that perhaps a hardwired one of recent if there's not a JMI floating about! But prices in Ca have the highest differential in the country due to the proximity to Japan!

6. Strange Brew

Strange Brew Well-Known Member

Last time I went on a boys toys shopping trip with Lex Lurid, we came back with a car load of amps.....

Yesterday....I went on a boys toys shopping trip with Lex Lurid. And we came back with a car load of amps.....

Went into Norwich with Lex, to a shop named "Cooke's".... and what a nice bunch they were too. Came away with a load of goodies. Mine was a modest little Roland Cube to take to France on vacation... and a used Peavey for a lady friend of mine....

Lex Lurid, who never does things by halves..... came back with a Celestion Blue powered AC30CC. Awesome machine. We did an A/B test against the "Standard" model.... they also had the head and cab in stock - and it was also up against a 65 reissue Deluxe Reverb. I have not been a fan of AC30s owing to my previous experiences with the Vox AC30 "FlameThrower" variant they used to make, but boy.... what a sound. I thought it would have to be something special to knock out the Fender.... it WAS something SPECIAL alright! Tone by the bucketloads.... useable at all levels - from Fender like clean, to throaty growl. Just majestic!

I have to say.... and this is my humble opinion only - but I wouldn't buy the "cooking" model - with the "Wharfedale" labelled speakers. Or if you DO want this one.... do not listen to the Blues powered one under any circumstances. It might be 300 quid more expensive, but there is no comparison tone wise. The standard model is nice until you hear the "Blues" - the Celestion Blues make it a different beast altogether.

Wish I had time to go into this more... am sure Lex will when he gets back online.....

7. Voxman

8. Spunky

Spunky Active Member

9. Voxman

Yes Spunk...it's a Thomas Organ one...very early as they only made 3 small tube amps and then went solid state screwing over Jennings musical Instruments bad as it was an Ill advised deal to open up the US market....basically they a$$ raped Tom Jennings setting up his ultimate demise financially...... :cry: But the Pathfinder, Pacemaker,Cambridge Reverb , berkeley II......Solid state versions of the same were.....V1011, V1021, V1031 and V1081 respectively! Berkeley II is a piggyback model Cambridge is 1-10' SPKR...M.R.B... on footswitch w/reverb... You need to try first as I'm not sure a guy that loves Soldano and boogie will like that little vox...me I do and I think you would as you can use it on 10! Tubes full bore! Nothing worse is buying an amp you don't like and so far we've been batting a 1000 ...... :wink:

10. Spunky

Spunky Active Member

OK VOX,

I've been playing the AD30VT all night on the VOX AC30TB with the Sg and I love the clean and dirty and especially the overtones and harmonics.
    It doesn't really work with the Flying V tho...LOL Too freaking METAL.
    :lol:
    I can see a VOX AC30 in my future but I want to get one I can play and I'm very wary of any amp that may flame....... :shock:

Not too happy with Fender and I have some amps/guitars I never use to sell to fund the quest.
    My experience says to get the GOLD, and not but a lesser item....I will not be satisfied!
    So I'm looking for the "GRAIL".

GOD I'm GASing......

Better than drugs as you get to wake up in the morning and wake the neighbors with a new toy! :lol:

11. Voxman

We'll look closely at a few to try to sort out what's what till we have enough info to feel somewhat comfortable ..... but you gotta try fust to see if it's something ya like before we pull the string...........if you were around here I'd just lend ya one for the weekend AND a fire extinguisher....... maybe even a diaper! :lol: :roll:

12. TNT

TNT Active Member

...and maybe a two wheel dolly? Those sombidges are heavy! :)

13. Voxman

Come on....... Pump a little iron :wink: ya act like were 50 yrs old! :shock:

14. TNT

TNT Active Member

Yeah well I carry treadmills and weight equipment every day so that 50 yr olds can hang clothes on them. :lol:

15. Voxman

There always "as new" when resold! :lol:

16. Hard2Hear

Hard2Hear Member

HEY-

I just found that Musictoyz.com sells the 2x12 non blue for $899. It seems like everyone else sells it for $100 more.

Just a FYI for those looking.

H2H

17. Voxman

[glow=red,2,300][size=10pt]I need to say even though that speaker is cool , it's not a hair on the arse of the Vox Blues....that said  it's also big $$$$$[/size][/glow][size=10pt][/size]

18. Hard2Hear

Hard2Hear Member

BUT you could get a non-blue, sell the speaks for a few dollars, and put in a set of Eminence Red Fangs and have a killer sounding amp for under $1100. Some people think the Red Fang sounds BETTER than current Celestion Blues, as it was modeled after older models of them.

This is probably the way I'm going to go. Plus, Eminence is right up the road here in KY and I like to support them. Their new Redcoat guitar speakers are awesome.

H2H

19. bscepter

bscepter Member

[quote author=Hard2Hear link=topic=1989.msg43903#msg43903 date=1120503534]
    HEY-

I just found that Musictoyz.com sells the 2x12 non blue for $899.  It seems like everyone else sells it for $100 more.

Just a FYI for those looking.

H2H
    [/quote]

I think that's just the cabinet. It doesn't look as if they're selling the amp without the Blues.

20. Hard2Hear

Hard2Hear Member

Their inventory has changed since the other day, its possible they sold out of them. A couple nights ago there were definately 2 listings at $899.

H2H