New Vox Custom Classics

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by sgSter, Mar 29, 2005.

1. bscepter

bscepter Member

[quote author=Hard2Hear link=topic=1989.msg43952#msg43952 date=1120572061]
    Their inventory has changed since the other day, its possible they sold out of them.  A couple nights ago there were definately 2 listings at $899.

H2H
    [/quote]

That explains why they only have Blue-loaded versions. No wonder -- save a hundred bucks and then, as you said, load 'em with a couple of Red Fangs or Webers or whatever...

2. crippe

crippe Member

I went to my local shop and tried the AC30CC2 out - I was really pleased. No noise, hiss etc just fat and loud but heavy as a motherf***er!! Are all AC30's this heavy? My friend had to help me carry it out of the store ;)

3. bscepter

bscepter Member

[quote author=crippe link=topic=1989.msg44089#msg44089 date=1120671965]
    I went to my local shop and tried the AC30CC2 out - I was really pleased. No noise, hiss etc just fat and loud but heavy as a motherf***er!! Are all AC30's this heavy? My friend had to help me carry it out of the store  ;) 
    [/quote]

"Carry it out of the store?" So... I take it you did more than just try it!  :lol:

4. Hard2Hear

Hard2Hear Member

woohoo!  I just scored a set of new Celestion blues for cheap!

H2H

5. crippe

crippe Member

[quote author=bscepter link=topic=1989.msg44094#msg44094 date=1120673002]
    "Carry it out of the store?" So... I take it you did more than just try it! :lol:
    [/quote]

Yup... :roll:

6. marty1776

marty1776 Active Member

Congrats crippe!

7. Voxman

Voxman Moderator Staff Member

Way to go Crippe......[​IMG] Pics and a report please! :)

8. Six String

Six String Moderator Staff Member

Congrats C................ Ditto the pix and report............!!! 8)

9. crippe

crippe Member

Of course[quote author=Voxman link=topic=1989.msg44115#msg44115 date=1120692300]
    Way to go Crippe......[​IMG] Pics and a report please! :)
    [/quote]

Of course. Pics and report will be posted shortly. For now I can say that the clean sound is totally awesome, I plugged my cheap Squire Strat into the Top Boost channel and got that round blues sound I've been looking for :)

Now I'm looking for a pedal that will give me some more aggressive sounds, any ideas? Tube driver, treble booster...?

10. Six String

Six String Moderator Staff Member

.......... ain't it great when you "find that sound" you been lookin for.............! 8)

11. Lex Lurid

Lex Lurid Guest

Thanks to the Wonders of The World......(Known Here in The UK as "BT")  I am Back..........Finally.
    BT (British Telecom) think that it is quite reasonable for someone to be without their Telephone Line for 11 Days! They also consider that it is worth paying Compensation to the Tune of £1 per Day! >:( Would it surprise you to know that The "Faults Department" have just Hung Up on me?

Meanwhile......The Vox AC30CC is absolutely BLINDING! I concur with all that Brewski said in his recent missive. There is NO comparison between the Wharfdales compared to the Blues. I am absolutely DELIGHTED with this Lil Darling.

Crippe...... I use either a Keeley Mossed TS9 or a Stock Original TS808........either do the job equally well and when used with the Treble Boost Input it can be great Fun...But for God's Sake!!!! Use BOTH inputs and then you'll REALLY light Up the Town. I don't use OD when running both Inputs as I really don't need More Drive than the Amp can Give me. BUT...I'm an Old Fart who plays Blues and Blues Rock...NOT Metal etc so I suspect that anyone wishing to that will need a Pedal.

Cant recommend this thing highly enough. Lord if I can give up a Fender Deluxe Reverb and still come out Smiling???? Says an awful lot I feel?

Pip Pip
    Lexie  ;)

12. vic108

vic108 Well-Known Member

Welcome back Lexi!

13. crippe

crippe Member

Thanks Lex! I think I'll check out the TS808 or maybe the TS9. The amp has plenty of gain cranked but I'm looking for something John Mayall-like blues lead without the ear crushing volume.

14. Lex Lurid

Lex Lurid Guest

;DNo Doubt Everyone will have a Take on this............... BUT...........For instant Bluesbreakers Circa Clapton and Green......... Look No Further than a Decent TS9 or....if you can run to it.... a TS808 Reissue. I tried just about every damn permutation and still rated the Treble Boost and Normal Running Together with a TS at Room Volume to get "Have You Heard" nailed.
    Mind You.... at the moment I'm in Joe Walsh Mode and the Dear Old Vox can do that as well. Funk#49 Anyone? Or Perhaps some "Rocky Mountain Way"? ;D

Have Fun.....AND above all else.....ENJOY! ;)

Pip Pip
    Lexie ;)

15. crippe

crippe Member

I recorded a quick example of how the amp sounds totally clean. The signal line was Squire Standard Strat > AC30CC2 > ADK Condenser Mic >Behringer Tube Ultragain Mic200 > Soundcard, no effects or processing. Top Boost channel volume was at 3 o'clock, treble and bass at 6, master volume 3 (viewed from the front).

http://hem.bredband.net/b124387/music/AC30CC2.mp3

16. Voxman

Now I'll have to try the same settings to see if I get the same sound....only thing is I've put in old Mullards12AX7's in the preamp, and have an old Vox 2x12 close back with Blues........ which adds much dimension , chime , and bottom end thump , being closed back, for a 3D effect that seems to be missing...... nice recording! ;) ;D

17. crippe

crippe Member

Post an example Vox :lol: I used to really hate that Squire now I play it all the time, I'm thinking of maybe upgrading the pu's on it. But it doesn't beat the SG when it comes to high gain... >:(

18. Voxman

Again.... Did you get a combo or a head? And which speaker? When I first tried them at Korg, the US Vox/Marshall there was no comparision between the Wharf and the Blues! Although the wharf wasn't a bad sounding speaker it's just that the blues are a diamond in the rough, so to speak! Where's Lexie on this? He's a recent recipient also..... :)

19. crippe

crippe Member

I've got the combo with Wharfsdale speakers, there was quite a price difference between the Wharfsdale and Celestion Blues combos. I can always upgrade the speakers if I get the itch. How does the Blues compare to Greenbacks?

20. Voxman

The blues out do them, to my ears every timr...but remember the Blues are Alnico and the green Backs are Ceramic magnets.... big difference! As new blues break in they sound better and better but I do know about the price being $'y..... I got mine at cost and it was a tough nut to finance :cry: and for another $100 I scored an original set of Silver T-1088's as new so..... there's another angle to look into!