New Vox Custom Classics

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by sgSter, Mar 29, 2005.

1. Lex Lurid

Lex Lurid Guest

Well............... For the money the Wharfdale loaded AC is stunning value for money. BUT...the sound of the Blues just outweighed the balance all the way. As Voxy has said, the Blues have a reputation for getting better and better with age, so I can hardly wait to see what this sounds like in a few years time? Lord Alone Know's.....It sounds Huge Now!!!! ;)

One thing that still amazes me about us Guitar Players though? Why is it that we'll think nothing of spending anywhere between £1000 to £5000 for a guitar....but when it comes to Amps, we seem to go into some sort of Trance!! If we all spent as freely on our Amplification as we do on Guitars, I for one reckon that there'd be a few happier Players around. Sure, I have been as guilty as everyone else on this issue, but these days........ (I apologise if this offends...) I just don't give the price a second thought. If it's the Sound that I want, well then that's the price that I'll pay. OK, I'm in the very fortunate position where (a) I have a Wife is thoroughly supportive in All that I do, and (b) I am no longer on a limited Budget, unlike the Old Days!

Brew will tell you that I have been a Real Guitar Tart over the years and have chopped and changed almost on a daily basis. But over the last few years I have become far more restrained on the Guitar side of things, Lord, I have recently SOLD more than I have bought!!!!!! But as far as Amps are concerned, I have always had "A Sound" in my mind and have been very happy since learning how to achieve exactly that.

As a Footnote to this........ Carol...aka "Lady Lurid" has always been a very stern critic of sound. She often remarked that whilst the Fender Cleans were reasonable, "Where is that Gorgeous Grind that you always used to get in your sound?" Enter the AC30 and she is once again happy, so much so that she often comes and sits in the Music Room with a Cuppa and just enjoys the Sounds.

Pip Pip
    Lexie. :)

2. Voxman

Voxman Moderator Staff Member

Jees lexy.... I just get turn it down and I hate you! [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. vic108

vic108 Well-Known Member

It seems Lord Lurid's wasn't an arranged marriage, Voxy!!!

4. Voxman

Or was it? ;)

5. vic108

vic108 Well-Known Member

Maybe only his hairdressor knows for sure....

6. Strange Brew

Strange Brew Well-Known Member

Ha! Lex hasn't used a hairdresser in years..... oops.... :oops: :oops: :-X

[​IMG]

7. Lex Lurid

Lex Lurid Guest

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
    I believe that I'm what is known as "Follically Challenged"???????? (Spg???)

8. Strange Brew

Strange Brew Well-Known Member

;D ;D ;D

... but perfect in every other way, though, Lex :)

9. Six String

Six String Moderator Staff Member

(....... ain't that the truth, Vox.......... ain't that the truth :cry:)

10. Voxman

Wouldn't want it any other way, after all these years.......it wouldn't be rock-n-roll !

11. Six String

Six String Moderator Staff Member

........ and just think........... if it's long enough in the back, it makes for a heck of a comb over......! ;D

12. Voxman

Mullets then good for something! :nono:

13. Lex Lurid

Lex Lurid Guest

Mullet ;) Aha, vastly underated Fish, especially nice with a White Wine and Cream sauce :coolsmiley:

OH !!!! :oops: :oops: I see what you meant :cry:.

Pip Pip
    Lexie :cry:
    PS Brew? have you still got that photo of me in my Jeff Lyne lookalike days? Thankfully, I have ...er...Lost the original. ;D

14. Voxman

that!...We would be interested in seeing Lexbiculite...

15. Spunky

Spunky Active Member

16. bscepter

bscepter Member

Er... speaking of parting one's hair... back to the subject at hand, I finally played through a new Vox AC30CC this evening. I didn't have my SG with me, so I used a Gibson Melody Maker to get that bridge P90 sound. And, you know what? It actually sounded really nice. It was plenty loud (at least as loud as my 40w HRDx, but that's down to the two speakers versus one, I think), but the overdrive was a lot, well, smoother.

I'm not sure what to think of these things. The knobs look and feel cheap as all get-out. But it sounds really good. I know they're made in China, but they're made at a vertically integrated Vox factory. I know that some people (at Harmony Central) have had really good luck with them so far, and some people have had absolute nightmares with them, as far as reliability is concerned. And... it's only a grand, which is cheap... yet it's expensive. I mean... c'mon, we're talking one thousand dollars here!

17. bscepter

bscepter Member

Update: I bought it. I'll debut it tomorrow night at a show. Wish me luck...

18. crippe

crippe Member

Congratulations bscepter! How does it sound with P90's? Post a clip if possible :lol:

19. Lex Lurid

Lex Lurid Guest

It'll sound HUGE with P90s...... I know! I have 3 Guitars which are P90 powered and believe me, it really does work well with them. Having said that..... In my opinion it sounds fantastic with anything! ;D Even my Taylor sounds terrific through it.

Pip Pip
    Lexie. :)

20. bscepter

bscepter Member

We'll see. I'm sure it'll sound great -- it did in the store. Unfortunately, every amp sounds like utter crap in my concrete basement, so I'm still not sure. Tonight's the real test.

By the way, if I want to get a non-master volume feel to it, can I just turn the master up full and control the volume with the pre-amp?