New Vox Custom Classics

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by sgSter, Mar 29, 2005.

1. bscepter

bscepter Member

Mine's already in the shop. It looks as if a dented output transformer may be the culprit. C'mon, VOX! Where's the QC? :-\

2. Voxman

Voxman Moderator Staff Member

China .....bscepter ....China  And a long way from anywhere here! ....That's totally bad with no rhyme or reason if you ask me but it's a sign of things to come with er, ...... " American Manfacturing" or any manfacturing I might add...

3. crippe

crippe Member

[quote author=Voxman link=topic=1989.msg47284#msg47284 date=1122385999]
    China .....bscepter ....China And a long way from anywhere here! ....That's totally bad with no rhyme or reason if you ask me but it's a sign of things to come with er, ...... " American Manfacturing" or any manfacturing I might add...
    [/quote]

Yeah Vox! That's where things are heading today, look at Gibson etc etc. I've had no problems with my CC2, what was the problem with your CC2 bscepter?

4. Lex Lurid

Lex Lurid Guest

You've got to laugh....... Minor Panic broke out this afternoon at "Lurid Lodge"!!!
    Whilst setting up a St**t for someone I was mucking about with Pickup height.....when all of a sudden I heard a very distinct Ticking coming from the Amp.......Yes it was the AC. Finally traced the source of said interfearance..........My Watch!! Perhaps I had misjudged the Jap Pickups on this thing!! ;D ;D ;D ;D

Ho Hum and Pip Pip

Lexie ;)

5. Sgmaniac

Sgmaniac Guest

Did you get a wah wah effect out of your watch? ;D :lol:

6. Lex Lurid

Lex Lurid Guest

Cant get one out of anything else...so I suppose the Watch will have to do ;D

Pip Pip
    Lexie ;)

7. TNT

TNT Active Member

Does Mickey still show the correct time? :)

8. Voxman

[​IMG]  Matbe I'll try the watch with a wah wah pedal, octavia and Roto-vibe....[​IMG]

9. bscepter

bscepter Member

[quote author=crippe link=topic=1989.msg47290#msg47290 date=1122397930]
    Yeah Vox! That's where things are heading today, look at Gibson etc etc. I've had no problems with my CC2, what was the problem with your CC2 bscepter?
    [/quote]

A harmonic, metallic ring emanating from the speakers when certain resonant frequencies are played. Upon opening it up, I noticed that the output tranny had a massive dent in one corner, as if it had been dropped. I'm guessing that there's something loose in there. In any case, the guys at the shop are being cool about it.

The thing is, the amp sounds really good. I guess they're just trying to keep the Vox tradition of questionable reliability. ;)

10. crippe

crippe Member

What's the purpose of the effects loop? Where in the input/preamp/poweramp chain does the loop come in?

11. Voxman

Never really messed with that loop yet but I do recall an old trick that sometimes worked with certain amps in the past.....that if you jump imput to output you can increase gain! Haven't considered it yet till you've brought it up..... but also I don't know the consequences of doing that yet so just an idea at this point.... :coolsmiley:

12. crippe

crippe Member

I recall hearing that if you put your tube screamer whatever in the effects loop you'll get power tube distortion instead of nasty preamp distortion. Can this be accurate?

13. bscepter

bscepter Member

By the way, the tech who has it says it sounds like a bad power tube. However, he didn't even open it up to see the dented OT. He's going to call the Korg rep to see how to proceed. Now I'm spooked.

14. bscepter

bscepter Member

Update: the shop's going to order me a new one and let me use the current one until it arrives. I ordered a quartet of EI Elite EL84s, too. Hopefully that'll give it the sparkle I'm looking for.

15. Voxman

Gold pin with a LOW current draw should do it .... as well as GOOD Peramp tubes! But I must add that the sovtec 84's that came with mine SEEM[?] fine, so far....... so I'll take the phillips out for a while and use the sovtec's for a while longer

16. bscepter

bscepter Member

[quote author=Voxman link=topic=1989.msg48155#msg48155 date=1122936339]
    Gold pin with a LOW current draw should do it .... as well as GOOD Peramp tubes! But I must add that the sovtec 84's that came with mine SEEM[?] fine, so far....... so I'll take the phillips out for a while and use the sovtec's for a while longer
    [/quote]

I'm new to the EL84 valve. Don't all EL84s have the same current draw, like 6L6s and KT66s? By the way, I just ordered the EI Elites, not the Gold Elites. Will I regret it?

By the way, for pre-amp tubes, I have: GT 12AX7Ms in V1 & V2, with an NOS Mullard CV4024 in V3.

17. Voxman

No you won't regret it ....but you do need low current draw on the EL84's and a carefully matched set ... it's an old AC30 trick kinda thingy quirky to that amp based on the design ... to keep them running cooler and happier! Specially when you open them up wide...

18. bscepter

bscepter Member

[quote author=Voxman link=topic=1989.msg48170#msg48170 date=1122941698]
    No you won't regret it ....but you do need low current draw on the EL84's and a carefully matched set ... it's an old AC30 trick kinda thingy quirky to that amp based on the design ... to keep them running cooler and happier! Specially when you open them up wide...
    [/quote]

Well, I run the master on full (effectively making it a non-MV amp) and the pre-amp at 3:00, which is pretty hot. I ordered the EI quartet from Tube Depot, noting that it was for an AC30. Hopefully, they'll give me a lower-draw set.

19. Voxman

Thats how I run mine, same as yours, it seems to open up and sound best that way! With the preamp up the other way, I don't think it sounds any good but that's the first time I've ever heard an AC30 with a Master V!

20. bscepter

bscepter Member

[quote author=Voxman link=topic=1989.msg48241#msg48241 date=1122987111]
    Thats how I run mine, same as yours, it seems to open up and sound best that way! With the preamp up the other way, I don't think it sounds any good but that's the first time I've ever heard an AC30 with a Master V! 
    [/quote]

I must say, I do really love the sound of my P90s through that amp. I just wish the build quality inspired a little more confidence. As I said, though, my local store has ordered a replacement for my damaged one. I hope that one works.