New Vox Custom Classics

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by sgSter, Mar 29, 2005.

1. bscepter

bscepter Member

I actually kind of like the sound of my Wharfedales.

I am curious, though, about the Eminence Red Fang AlNiCo speakers. They're super efficient, have AlNiCo magnets, and are made here in the USofA. That, and they retail for around $130 a piece -- much less than the Celestion Blues or even the Webers.

Has anyone tried RF's in the CC yet?

2. Voxman

Voxman Moderator Staff Member

Seems like you guys need a little more Jack to work with here ....What I mean is I was going to do a whole expose on these speakers in a separate post based on this article here but just can't focus enough....... But first! When this mag came out it was the best objective views out there but now the total consensus of most readers are that there on their knees in front of the manufactures now....I think so....

But take what you need and don't buy into their line of hype and innuendo as some of it just isn't so! That said......

[move][glow=red,2,300]Learn all about Eminence speakers----Learn all about Eminence speakers----Learn all about Eminence speakers----Learn all about  Eminence speakers---Learn all about  Eminence speakers[/glow][/move]

http://www.eminence.com/eminence/pages/products02/pdf/tonequest.pdf

3. TNT

TNT Active Member

Thanks for the link Voxman!
    [​IMG]

4. Voxman

Input! Input! [​IMG]

5. crippe

crippe Member

Can the fact that my distortion pedals sound so much better in the effects loop, have anything to do with the cheap chinese preamp tubes? If JJ's are the worst, what preamp tubes should I go with? I can't freakin' afford Mullards and other NOS tubes. What about TAD tubes?

6. bscepter

bscepter Member

I know those Chinese AX7s are supposed to be pretty crummy. I've got a pair of Groove Tube 12AX7M "Mullard Clone" valves in V1 & V2, and they sound pretty good. My V2 tube, though, seems to be on the verge of going microphonic. I may switch to Electro Harmonix' Russian AX7s.

7. TNT

TNT Active Member

I think that I'm gonna go backwards from you Bscepter. I've tried JJ ECC83 and EH 12AX7 tubes in my Champ and I think I may go original Mullard or the new Groove Tubes 12AX7-M. The Groove Tubes 12AX7-M has to sound better than the EH tube, but I just wonder how the GT sounds compared to a real Mullard? At least I only need one but I can't see paying about $110.00 and up for a '60s model 12AX7. I would have to get the '70s 12AX7/ECC83 which the Groove Tube is supposed to replicate.

If you want to try the EH 12AX7 they sell them in the Fender red box at Sam Ash for $9.99.

8. bscepter

bscepter Member

Hmmm... I had heard the EH's were especially rugged and resistant to microphonics. Anyone tried the TAD ECC83?

9. Voxman

They also Make a GT low noise tested tube for critical applications ... I think you have to ask for it!

10. bscepter

bscepter Member

Just received a quartet of EI Elite Golds for the CC. That, and a Weber copper cap rectifier. I'll beat this sumbidge into submission yet!

11. TNT

TNT Active Member

I just received my Groove Tubes 12AX7-M preamp tube from eBay c/o Revolution Guitar. It is awesome! I have a new amp! The tone on my Champ 5F2A is much smoother with wonderful overdrive. The tone is much clearer making the controls on my guitar much more usable ( good thing especially since a Champ only has volume adjustment). My EH 12AX7 and the JJ ECC83 sounded like SS compared to this tube! Absolutely worth the extra dough! Running a TS-9 through the amp I think that the quality of sound is comparable to most anything out there within reason. I think that the only limit is the speaker(P8R) . I may have to go to the C8Q. I can't imagine what it would sound like through a cab.
    By the way, if you ever need anything for your guitar or amp, check out Revolution Guitar. They are very professional and they get your gear to you almost as fast as Musician's Friend, which is light speed. I've bought from Revolution before and they're a real class act!

12. vic108

vic108 Well-Known Member

T,

You know we like links and pixs around here!
    Got one for revolution guitars?

13. TNT

TNT Active Member

14. Voxman

Here's the three I got at Philly but in retrospect I should have picked up a balanced inverter tube....maybe I will/ better! On the bottom is what's left of one of those Chinese 12AX7's after the big dufus dropped it and stepped on it at the same time :oops: :roll:

[​IMG]

So Crippe this is probably the best route to take........?

15. Voxman

Barefoot, of course :cry:

16. bscepter

bscepter Member

I swear one of my GT 12AX7Ms is going microphonic... Either that, or maybe it's just loose.

17. Hard2Hear

Hard2Hear Member

There have been alot of problems reported on the Gearpage and Harmony Central boards about the Groove Tubes Mullards. Microphonics, motorboating, and other wierd stuff. Look up the topics there and read up if you can.

H2H

18. TNT

TNT Active Member

19. bscepter

bscepter Member

Argh. My replacement amp is still AWOL. I'm seriously considering a Valvetech Hayseed. :cry:

20. crippe

crippe Member

The Hayseed seems like a really good deal but...it's not a Vox AC30!