NGD: 2002 Gibson SG faded with crescent moons/ebony board + questions

mookid

Reaction score
Hey guys, just made a similar thread on the mylespaul forums about my NGD yesterday - bought a faded SG made in April 2002 for $500! The body is one piece, and the only mod is some gold Grovers which look alright IMO. Really love the crescent moons and the ebony board, that's basically what sold me on it. I don't actually have it with me right now since I immediately took it to the local guitar place known for their $25 setups, so here are some pics I took just a couple hours after bringing it home:

LJlhv.jpg

03Aqt.jpg

C0MQC.jpg

eUX39.jpg

O1aH5.jpg

dHbHN.jpg

RD7Yc.jpg

vfiLq.jpg

So now I just have a few questions for anyone who is really an expert on these "first edition" faded SGs.

• [li]Does anyone know specifically when production began, and when they stopped making them with the ebony board and the moon inlays? Mine is an April 2002, so I'm going to guess that's among the first made, but I'm still not sure.[/li]
    [li]Are these "first edition" SGs known for any other differences than just the fretboard (i.e. slightly different sounding pickups, anything along those lines)?[/li]
    [li]Can anyone tell me what the price was when this was brand new?[/li]
Any info would be appreciated!/list][/list]

Zeppelin Rules

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure they're identically electronically. I notice the knobs are different too. My faded special doesn't have silver inserts on the knobs. Not sure on production years, maybe check the ETSG catalogs on the main page.

Congrats on a great looking guitar.

mikeystool

Reaction score
not sure on the moons, but i know i got one of the last ebony fretboards on my 2004 faded...i think they stopped making the ebony later that year...i think mine is april 2004...nice axe amigo..... :coolsmiley:

Tenafly Viper

Reaction score
Nice looking SG. Welcome to the forum. I got one as well. I know nothing about what the actual history is of the ebony boards on the faded series, but I can speculate. The Gothic series where the crescent moons came from probably didn't sell like they thought. So they had lots of extra boards and inlays left over. So the faded series because the repository or the beneficiary of the ebony boards with the crescent moon inlays, (depending on how you look at it).

MKB

Reaction score
I had a red one with the moons, bought it new in 2003. The only difference between the ones with moons and the newer ones is the ebony/moon inlay fingerboard, the current ones have rosewood/dots. Same pickups; 490R/490T. The only mod I'd suggest is to replace the 300K volume pots with 500K pots, this will give you more upper treble in the tone. Also, due to the unbound ebony fingerboard, you may have to get the fret ends dressed from time to time if they start sticking out. Ebony is a dimensionally unstable wood compared to rosewood or maple, which causes this, but it is normal and nothing to be worried about.

The ebony fingerboard gives the guitar a bit more "ping" in the note, I really liked this. I eventually sold it though as I couldn't stand the inlays.

oldrockfan

Reaction score
I like the ebony boards too but went with one with dots instead of the moon inlays. I am not sure I agree about ebony being more unstable than rosewood but rather than argue the point, I'll just say my ebony boarded SG has had no issues with fret sprout and it has certainly not been babied at all. Congrats on your new guitar. Looks good! Here is a shot of mine

sgfaded2.jpg

sneakerpimp

Reaction score
[quote author=Tenafly Viper link=topic=20769.msg249977#msg249977 date=1277900821]
...The Gothic series where the crescent moons came from probably didn't sell like they thought. So they had lots of extra boards and inlays left over. So the faded series because the repository or the beneficiary of the ebony boards with the crescent moon inlays, (depending on how you look at it).
[/quote]

interesting thought, since the Gothics had the moon AND star (and on the 12th fret only), i don't see where all those extra star inlays went.

sneakerpimp

Reaction score
[quote author=Tenafly Viper link=topic=20769.msg249982#msg249982 date=1277916805]
How did you find one with dots? I think I have seen them before, but those have to be hella rare. Color me jealous.
[/quote]

aren't they all made like that now? i thought the crescent moon inlays were only on the early fadeds.

Tantrum

Reaction score
The rumour is that Gibson had to stop selling the moon inlay SG because PRS had the trademark. I think they were $549.99 new - not positive.

Tenafly Viper

Reaction score
[quote author=sneakerpimp link=topic=20769.msg249988#msg249988 date=1277925650]
aren't they all made like that now? i thought the crescent moon inlays were only on the early fadeds.
[/quote]

His has dots and an ebony board. They all have rosewood boards now. The moons were only on the early fadeds.

Like I said, I simply think Gibson made or had made a ton of crescent moon inlays and since the Gothic model only had one, maybe the they made extra or the Gothics didn't sell that well so they had tons of moons to get rid of. So they put them on the budget model.

oldrockfan

Reaction score
the ebony dot models are rare. I've only seen one come up for sale in my area and I was first one there with the cash so got it. I really like the way ebony boards feel. Not as hard as maple and not as soft as rosewood. Ebony is just right in my opinion.

sneakerpimp

Reaction score
[quote author=Tenafly Viper link=topic=20769.msg249994#msg249994 date=1277928940]
His has dots and an ebony board.[/quote]

aha: dots+ebony.

did not know that until now... had no idea actually.

oldrockfan

Reaction score
I think a couple other forum members have ebony boards with dot fadeds too. The pearl dots with ebony look pretty cool imho. Here is a closeup of the fretboard on mine. It has a nice low action too so is a good player with nice sustain and smoother note bends than rosewood.

sgfaded3.jpg

everdying

Reaction score
i've seen a recent white faded with dots and ebony board.
was from somewhere around 2006 / 08.

mikeystool

Reaction score
img0254qr.jpg
i guess these would be on the rare side of things..maybe more rare then the moons?...btw ive never had the need to smooth out the frets, always been a smooth ride...ive had a settup though this past year, but thats something most axes need after the play i give em' ;)

Zeppelin Rules

Reaction score
[quote author=everdying link=topic=20769.msg250001#msg250001 date=1277934819]
i've seen a recent white faded with dots and ebony board.
was from somewhere around 2006 / 08.

[/quote]

I think you're right, but white was a limited run colour IIRC.

benjammin420

Reaction score
My local store still has one of the white ones w/ ebony board, its a sweet guitar, but they're asking way too much for it (I forget the price, but it was $1000+)

Latest posts