NGD - 2004 Korean G400 Vintage

Discussion in 'Epiphone SG' started by laza616, Jun 19, 2021.

1. laza616

laza616 Active Member

So i bought my 5th SG today....
    Finally after few months of waiting one of those G400 Vintage Epiphones popped out in Austria so i took it

I will post more pictures soon, i only took one and it shows red colour but its quite dark brown colour. It looks great, it feels great and apart from headstock, hardware and neck joint its basically the same as Gibson
    I will play the hell ouf of it once i will set it SAVE_20210619_154937.jpg

dub-setter, Go Nigel Go and Biddlin like this.
  2. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Oh yeah ! Nice pups too ?

3. laza616

laza616 Active Member

Dont know what pups are these, just that the bridge is a SD one, but what model i dont know. I didnt have time to fully disassembly the pup rings and check the rear side of the pups if there are some informations
    Pots are all 500kohms

Thank you DrBGood, if it wasnt you i would never knew about those series. They are good

4. laza616

laza616 Active Member

5. laza616

laza616 Active Member

So i inspected the guitar closely, set it up, cleaned it properly and the only thing left to do is checking what pups are those and i forgot to adjust intonation.
    So far the SD bridge pup is fantastic, it plays good even unplugged. The fretboard is dead flat, its good. The finish is fantastic i love it.
    Binding got all yellowish, even the pickguard has yellowed a bit
    I will definitely swap this generic bridge for Gotoh bridge and i will have to clean the pots and contacts
    The best thing on the guitar apart from the finish are the fretboard inlays, they are like golden too. I never had a guitar with this colour of inlays in the fretboard and its so good lookong to my eye. The fretboard is a good and nice looking rosewood. Its a two piece mahogany guitar.
    Input for the cable is weird with this huge ring around the hole. Never seen anything like that

And now to the construction and details. Its a Korean 2004 made in Unsung plant. The attention to the details is average, nothing extra. It comes not a mile close to my Czech Epi......
    But otherwise its a solidly built guitar, nothing to complain.
    Logo and the pineapple are golden too. The binding is done very good around the fretboard.
    The guitar has a Grover tuners and absolutely no neck diving at all
    So far i can tell that Epiphone made in Czech republic is superior, followed closely by my Gibson SG standard, this is better than Vintage Vs6 i own and definitely superior to my BaCH SG
    So i am pretty Happy with this purchase and the guitar is gonna by my main axe for the following months

DrBGood likes this.
  6. DrBGood

Nice grain. All the ones I've had were at least 3 pieces. They matched the grain really well on these. If you look at the contour of the body, you might see a joint that really doesn't show on top. Then maybe not.

They also had wings on the headstock. Yours don't show it, but again they didn't show on some, so well the grain was matched.

Serial.jpg

Other features you have are a one piece neck, no scarf joint and a long tenon. You'll see that tenon when you extract the neck pup.

Long tenon 1.jpg

laza616 likes this.
  7. laza616

laza616 Active Member

IMG_20210620_124134-01.jpeg IMG_20210620_123516-01.jpeg

dub-setter likes this.
  8. laza616

laza616 Active Member

IMG_20210620_142833-01.jpeg Yes , long tenon like on the Czech Epi and Gibson. Pretty nice grain @DrBGood yeah i was shocked that i could not see the wings on the headstock so i put out my most powerful light i have at home to lighten it up and it looks like one piece completely, i could not see the joint

And i checked the pups and i was surprised that both are SD..... So that was a brilliant deal for 300€
    The bridge is SD - SH6B and the neck is APH-1N
    They sound really good, i need to play it more but just the check i did while playing a little they sounded so good
    I already swapped the bridge for the Gotoh, changed the strings and adjusted intonation. The guitar rings pefectly.
    These guitars are really nice and good.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2021
    dub-setter and DrBGood like this.
  9. DrBGood

Former owner must have used a straight plug cable and cracked the wood around the jack, or was afraid it would happen. Unscrew the top nut and remove that washer, you'll know then. Always a 90° cable end for an SG.

10. laza616

laza616 Active Member

Yeah there is a small crack in the finish. I will keep it there. Thank you for informing me

11. DrBGood

If you don't like it, you could epoxy it from the back in the control cavity.

12. laza616

laza616 Active Member

Actually its OK
    Cosmetic stuff, doesbt matter to me at all
    But still, is it possible that they did the neck and the headstock conpletely from one piece? I cant see the wings.

13. DrBGood

Could well be. On my Cherry Red, the grain is uninterrupted, so yes, it seem like it.

14. laza616

laza616 Active Member

And still my biggest mystery is the colour.
    Is this cherry or natural finish? Because on the sight it gets this red shade but its like darksr brown with a bit of a red in it
    So different from all my other red cherry SGs i have or had in my hands
    What do you think?

15. DrBGood

No it's natural like these two I had.

2005-2003.jpg

laza616 likes this.
  16. laza616

laza616 Active Member

What a grain! Mine has this red shade in it
    Could it be cause by the time and sunlight exposion or just the mahogany was quite red ?
    Actually the finish on the bewels and headstock is quite thick on my guitar
    I love that your Logo SHINES golden! But you dont seem to have that goldish fretboard inlays
    I played it a bit more Yesterday and man, what a pups these are wow. The neck is pretty comfy too. Playability is pretty great, just like on thr Gibson, the only differnce is the feeling you have because of the finish, but otherwise its comfortable to play as hell. I could set a pretty low action without any buzz so its an axe
    Still i said it has no neck dive but i didnt realise i was shirtless, when i have a t shirt it has a significant neck dive. I have to get another leather guitar strap to reduce it
    But so far, i am happy with that guitar!! Amazing purchase.
    Previous korean sg i had for a while was not as good as this.
    I have 5 SGs and i cant decide if i should keep all of them or get rid of one.

17. DrBGood

I'd say reddish mahogany. I think I played with colors on that previous photos. This was closer to what they looked like ... I think ...

I kept the Cherry Red. It had a headstock repair so resale value is not great. It was also the first I got and is the lightest of the trio. Paid 100 CAD for it, that's like 68 €.

4.jpg

Photos don't always show true colors. Inlays have some golden hue to them.

Setup 5.jpg

laza616 likes this.
  18. laza616

laza616 Active Member

68€ for this axe? Thats like for free. Repaired headstock is going to be even stronger than before, so its not a deal at all
    The cherry one has that golden inlays on the headstock so vivid nice
    Yes, this inlays! I love it

19. DrBGood

They all do

2003.jpg

2004.jpg
    2004+.jpg

2005.JPG

laza616 likes this.
  20. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

DSCN1626.JPG
    I love mine, had two but sold the brown one. With 57 classics, it is a great gigging guitar.

laza616 and DrBGood like this.