NGD - 2011 SG Standard in White

shamu1

Reaction score
I've had my eye on getting a 2011 Standard, mainly for two reasons: they have a thicker, heavier neck than my 2013 Standard (I have big hands and prefer the thicker necks), and I prefer the batwing pickguard to the small teardrop one on the 2013.

Call me crazy, but just the other day I sold the 2013, and used the money in that sale to buy this 2011 Standard:

IMAG0577.jpg

IMAG0575.jpg

IMAG0573.jpg

It was a break-even deal - the price I sold my 2013 was the same price I paid for this one. I really liked the 2013, but it never quite felt comfortable in my hands, and as a result, I rarely played it. I like this 2011 a lot better, plus I love the white finish. I do miss the "natural burst" finish on the 2013 though.

Last edited:

likea45

Reaction score
You need what works for you. I like both the large and small guard variations but neck wise I can understand your choice. Great looking piece.

Rusty Chops

Reaction score
I prefer heftier necks too.

Sometimes I can get used to smaller profiles (I like the one on my red 2001 '61 reissue: it feels a bit wider so seems to work for me).

But the neck on my white 50th Anniversary P-90 Pete Townsend RI, though very supple and precise, I just never have been able to bond with.

Glad your solution has worked out. I'm sure I'll take a bath on it in selling my 50th Anniversary. :(

It's on consignment in a shop now anyway.

bwotw

Reaction score
Beautiful! The white ones are something else... I'm glad the situation worked and you can now bond with this guitar.

The pickups are very different though, how are you liking them?

shamu1

Reaction score
Beautiful! The white ones are something else... I'm glad the situation worked and you can now bond with this guitar.

The pickups are very different though, how are you liking them?

Are the pickups different? I actually don't know. I've read somewhere that it has Burstbuckers, another saying 57 Classics, and the guy who sold it to me said 490s. So I don't know what the hell are in this axe. I'll have to pull out the pickups and take a look.

I will say that this guitar has a fuller, more bassy tone than the 2013, which was more trebly and mid-ranged in tone. I prefer the tone of the 2011.

bwotw

Reaction score
Oops, I just assumed it would have the 490R/498T like earlier Standards! Good news it sounds fuller then, let us know what the pickups are when you find out :thumb:

58pit

Reaction score
i've had my eye on getting a 2011 standard, mainly for two reasons: They have a thicker, heavier neck than my 2013 standard (i have big hands and prefer the thicker necks), and i prefer the batwing pickguard to the small teardrop one on the 2013.

Call me crazy, but just the other day i sold the 2013, and used the money in that sale to buy this 2011 standard:

imag0577.jpg

imag0575.jpg

imag0573.jpg

it was a break-even deal - the price i sold my 2013 was the same price i paid for this one. I really liked the 2013, but it never quite felt comfortable in my hands, and as a result, i rarely played it. I like this 2011 a lot better, plus i love the white finish. I do miss the "natural burst" finish on the 2013 though.
yummy! Good move!

SG_Island

Reaction score
I actually like both fat and slim SG necks.. !!

I know that sounds odd - but my '08 Special Faded has the fat neck, and I love the feel of that satin finish on the back of that fat neck.

But I played a 2013 Standard at GC back when they were on sale for $850 around Christmas time (Still kicking myself for not buying that one, but that's another story...), and I loved the thinner neck on that 2013 Standard as well.

Delboy

Reaction score
Isn't that the ltd edition version with the 60's slim taper neck?

Gibsg

Reaction score
Very good choice my friend the Ivory SG Standard is a beauty, I have one and she sounds very hot

On this picture gold pickup covers are not installed and no strings.... Is the fretboard ebony on yours?

8fgv.jpg

Latest posts