NGD - 2013 Gibson SG 70's Tribute

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by michaelinokc, Jun 19, 2013.

1. michaelinokc

michaelinokc Well-Known Member

Just received this bad boy last night from zzounds.com via Fed Ex. It's a 2013 Gibson SG 70's Tribute with 24 frets and a pair of Gibson's Dirty Fingers Humbuckers. I've been wanting a 24 fret guitar and missed my RD with Dirty Fingers, so this guitar is right up my alley. And the rosewood fretboard is a nice touch, too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

hokusai22, Zurdo, Iván and 7 others like this.
  2. Utrecht74

Utrecht74 Member

Grats man ! That is one sleek looking guitar.

michaelinokc likes this.
  3. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Rock on ! What an imposing SG !

michaelinokc likes this.
  4. Kalamazuu

Kalamazuu Member

Nice man!
    The Witchhat knobs really give it that 70's Vibe, love 'em!
    I have a 24 fret SGJ on the way,
    and,
    Be sure to post it up in the Black SG Club thread!

BlackSG91 and michaelinokc like this.
  5. Kalamazuu

Kalamazuu Member

(Also)

So, what did you play first?
    Sabbath, or AC/DC?
    :dude:

mdubya likes this.
  6. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

that is almost scary looking... love it. Actually, it is scary. Good choice.
    and are those the stock knobs? cool to see a Gibson guitar with Fender Amp knobs on it. Those are almost my favorite kind.

Thanks for posting photos, we love to ogle guitars on this site. Some people think all SGs look alike, but we don't. I think all Les Pauls look alike. (but I'm not a Les Paul Guy. Gibson is messing with us, issuing guitars like this with confusing names.

But the name was thought up by the butterfly boys in the ad agency.
    The guitar was likely designed by real engineers, who might have listened to input from real musicians. The idea of a 24 fret SG is an idea whose time has come. Guys have been wishing for this for a long time.

Same with the Robot tuners. people make fun of the idea, but they made fun of the first electronic tuners too, way back in the day when guitarists would tune to a questionable note from a honky tonk piano, or to a harmonica, or to a tuning fork.
    I believe that a musician needs to keep his ear sharp, but the human ear has good days and bad days. So a pro needs some help, in order to deliver consistent good sound. (which is one definition of a pro).

Pickguard? who needs it?

So... good choice! Let us know how it feels and sounds through your preferred amp setup. I'd like to hear your opinion of the setup and frets... the vaunted Gibson PLEK system has supposedly set your guitar up to be right as soon as you plug it in. My new SG was pretty close to right (even though it was made a year ago), I was surprised and pleased.

Of course, I played mine for only a week before I was compelled to take it all apart and mess with everything. I can't leave anything alone, even though I promised myself not to mod my new Gibson. I only changed a few superficial things, but had to strip all the hardware off in order to buff the satin finish. Which was worth doing IMHO.

The original setup was pretty good, but I like mine better. *grins

michaelinokc likes this.
  7. Mr. Happy

Mr. Happy Well-Known Member

Wow! Stunning... really love these 70's tributes.
    So, how do the pups sound?

michaelinokc likes this.
  8. michaelinokc

Highway to Hell seemed appropriate. :)

Kalamazuu and mdubya like this.
  9. michaelinokc

The action is a little high so I'll probably take it to my tech for a setup. I haven't really taken time to learn to set up a guitar, but it's in my future, definitely. I love the neck and don't miss the fretboard binding at all. I think fretboard binding would hurt the appearance of this particular guitar and what I want it to say. I've been wanting something sinister for awhile. I love my Pelham Blue Standard, but blue just doesn't make me think of a primal scream like an ebony guitar does.

10. BlackSG91

BlackSG91 Well-Known Member

Tony wants to swap guitars with you. Can't you tell by the look on his face?:ohno: He's not all that into the binding himself.;) Congratulations on this fine black beauty! :applause:

[​IMG][​IMG]

michaelinokc likes this.
  11. michaelinokc

I hope to get some serious playing time in today and tomorrow, after I get the guitar set up. I'll let you all know how it goes. I've only plugged it in to my Fender Greta, but so far it sounds pretty wicked.

BlackSG91 likes this.
  12. michaelinokc

Got it back from the tech, set up the Egnater Tweaker with some higher gain and British and Vintage settings, and this baby just screams. Played a little "Shoot to Thrill" and miracle of miracles feedback started right where it's supposed to start. Definitely a keeper, especially with the stuff I like to play.

Susihukkanen likes this.
  13. Iván

Iván Active Member

It looks awesome, you know I had the chance to get one of these, but I did rather prefer my Fender American Special Strat, now with those pics you made me doubt about my choice haha. It really looks good. Well, enjoy your new guitar.
    Also I'd like to ask you for a favor. Could you please record some clean and overdrive sounds so I can hear how does it sound? I couldn't find ANYTHING on youtube

michaelinokc likes this.
  14. Heket

Heket Well-Known Member

Ooh, now that's dark. I like it, looks totally uncompromising. Better beware, she might start trying to dominate you, haha. Listen to what she says and she'll lead right down that Highway...

Col Mustard and michaelinokc like this.
  15. michaelinokc

I'd love to, but don't really have anything to record with yet. I really like the Tex Mex pickups in Fender's American Special Strats and Teles. I've got a Tele myself, so I can say you didn't make a bad choice at all. If I didn't have a Strat and Tele already, I might have made the same choice you did. :thumb:

Iván likes this.
  16. Iván

Iván Active Member

Well, thank you! That really makes me feel relaxed and peaceful about my choice.

Also, I've found a recently uploaded video by Andertons (you know, those 2 funny English guys) making a full review about all the Gibson tribute models, included yours Mr.michaelinokc. Have fun!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDw2zPF0oD8]2013 Gibson Tribute Models - YouTube[/ame]

michaelinokc likes this.
  17. Zurdo

Zurdo New Member

first of all, sorry for my awful english, im from Spain, you know, "a relaxing cup of café con leche in Plaza Mayor" (search it in youtube if you dont know what im talking about)

Thanks to OP for the photos and extra info about this beast. I registered here a couple hours ago coz i want to buy a serious lefthanded Gibson, and i was interested specialy in this 70s 2013 SG.

i think that this axe is the only SG without pickguard that likes me. I love it.
    but.. what about the pickups? too much gain, maybe? i saw the andertons video and it rocks but it looks... not much versatile.

and have yo got dive problems? with 24 frets im afraid that it happens.

slim neck? fat neck? super-size neck?

thanks again for any extra information about it ;)

Last edited: Sep 18, 2013
  18. michaelinokc

I haven't had any dive problems. And actually, Dirty Fingers are not all gain and no finesse. Just back the volume off and they clean up pretty well. The neck is definitely not a 60's neck. I'd actually say it seems to be in between a 50's and 60's neck. It's very comfortable to me. By the way, if you don't want Dirty Fingers, there are always the 50's and 60's Tributes to consider. This guitar, though, has the features I've been wanting in an SG. It will never replace my pelham blue standard, but it's definitely a keeper.

19. Zurdo

Zurdo New Member

thanks again. I prefer punk or hard rock to classical rock sound; i didnt know theese Dirty Fingers but they have a great sound.
    I have a Tokai explorer with Mk-II pickups, sure that these DF will include other type of sound in my hands.

with this information i have no doubts about this 70s, ill buy it as soon as i can.

20. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

Uncompromising....that's a good description for a fine instrument.

I'd like to see the faces of normal jazz players if I showed up ready to swing with one of those.