NGD:2017 Gibson SG Standard

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Mbell75, Oct 19, 2017.

1. Dickey001

Dickey001 Member

I've always spoken the truth, which sometimes people don't like. No one should allow anything I say to influence whether or not they like their guitar. If someone said they think deep bevels are ugly, it would not affect ONE BIT how much I like my guitar pictured above. This is a forum, & unless I'm mistaken, a forum is a place to opine & pontificate on various subjects, whether negative or positive. I understand what you mean about NGD vs. opinions on new SGs, but I guarantee nothing I have said will change the OP's mind about his guitar. Didn't mean to be insulting; just giving my opinion in my original post, half of which was because of my wiseass, NYC attitude. Don't let anything I post ruin your day.

2. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Obviously, that's a NO.

Nothing left to do but put him on the ignore list.

3. ypnos

ypnos Well-Known Member

Naah, you are just really, really rude.

Pull your head out of your arse and start being nice to other forum members, cause what's the point of being a member at a forum that no one else likes you?

Speak your opinion, but on the right time and place. Start a thread about your compulsion and stop pooping on other members NGD threads. Please?

Your alias, your face and your posts look really ugly to everyday readers here and produce mere negativity.

I am not really active, though i read everyday, and this is the second time i post to call you rude. Membahh? Does this mean something to you?

You and Gibsg (membah?) look alike. Diffirent kind of compulsions, but shame sh!tty behaviour.

Grow up. Your body and your mind don't seem to be at the same place. Being 60-70 with the brain of a 10 years old? Fail..

P.S.

This place has gone downhill.

lcw and Logan like this.
  4. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

+1 on that. It's totally unnecessary to come aboard a new member's NGD thread with
    dim-bulb negativity. You are out of line with that. Here's what we say to a new member:

WELCOME TO ETSG! Congratulations on making an excellent choice of guitar.
    Being who I am, I'll usually add: "Ignore all Gibson bashers, they are just blowing smoke."

On this site, there are a lot fewer cork sniffers than on other guitar sites. So the few jerks
    we have are outnumbered by the majority of ETSG members.... many of whom are actually musicians. From the musician's point of view, you made an excellent choice.
    Don't let anyone bring it down. It's all about the music anyway.

Gibsons's '57 classic pickups and SGs were made for each other IMHO. Granted, there were
    no SGs in 1957. but there's something about this combination that stands head
    and shoulders above the rest.

lcw and Logan like this.
  5. njpaulc

njpaulc Well-Known Member

To get back to the beautiful guitar for a minute. What color is the back? Is it black, or what ever they call that burst? The finish is really well balanced between the red and the black.

Mbell75 likes this.
  6. flognoth

flognoth Active Member

I know this will be unpopular, but I think the push back and name calling is an over reaction and unnecessary.

I hadn't knowingly seen other posts from Dickey, so I didn't have context. I went back and did a brief look at some of his posts. Out of what I saw, none seemed out of line. In my opinion, I've seen worse from other people in other threads.

In my reading of what he wrote here, it is pretty clear, in my opinion that he is stating his opinion. I don't see another way to read it. It is irrelevant if I agree his opinion it or not.

If anything, at worst, his comment on about bevels on someone's new guitar is "uncool", but if memory serves correct I've seen similar discussions about nibs occur in similar threads.

Personally, I find stating opinion as fact and telling others what to do or not to do with their guitars in NGD threads to be worse.

7. jakbur

jakbur New Member

Beautiful! Congrats! Got a great deal on the same model, year and color! I've screwed with mine a lot but do that to all my guitars! I personally like the neck profile better on this one compared to my 2008 SG 61 Reissue and 2013 SG Standard! I tried the 2017's aluminum bridge on my ES335 and loved what it did for that guitar but it's back to stay on the SG but looking to buy one for the ES335!
    Someone asked if the back was black- it is a dark reddish brown and you can see the wood grain thru it if you look close.

8. Dickey001

Dickey001 Member

Oh for cryne out loud GROW A SKIN you snowflake!

9. Mbell75

Mbell75 New Member

The back has the same finish as the front, although the red is a bit darker looking, matches the back of the neck. To whoever asked about neck dive, I haven't had any issues with it really. All depends how you wear your guitar, mine sits a bit higher up, not slung low on my waist.

10. ypnos

ypnos Well-Known Member

Einstein once said: " The universe and stupidity are infinite. And i'm not totally sure about the universe being infinite". He was reffering to you. Grow some brain, dumbo.

Don't be a part of infinite stupidity.

Raiyn likes this.
  11. RedRiverII

RedRiverII Member

Nice piece of gear Mbell. Wishing you the best.

Mbell75 likes this.
  12. ypnos

ypnos Well-Known Member

Happy NGD, sorry for hi-jacking your thread. This cherry burst finish looks really yummy.

Mbell75 and Raiyn like this.
  13. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.
    Good on ya.

14. Logan

Logan Well-Known Member

Seriously? You say you understand about it being a NGD thread versus an opinions thread. If you really wanted to talk about your bevel fetish so much, don't put someone down on their thread talking about how much you hate the big neck joint and tiny bevels. I myself quite like the features of the deep bevels as well, but I also think the 2017s are great guitars. I would get one of the Pelham Blues if I could afford it, but alas, I have to pay off a Pelham Blue Firebird. While your '61 is gorgeous, don't make posts about how you hate the features of the 2017 on a NGD thread. In this type of thread, there really isn't room to debate.

15. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

I fear you're wasting your breath...err keystrokes.