NGD: 2019 SG Standard w/Maestro

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Wild Bill212, Dec 5, 2020.

1. Wild Bill212

Wild Bill212 Member

This guitar was a rarity for 2019, and no one has seen it yet. It was an "exclusive" from AMS dot com and the only 2019 SG Standard to come out of the GIBSON factory w/Maestro Vibrola that was NOT a Custom Shop offerring.The CUSTOM Shop Maestro is Nickel as well....My Standard's Maestro is Chrome. It is also not an SG Standard '61, nope! The Guitar is just a regular production model 2019 SG Standard w/Maestro Vibrola, with the neck joint @ the 19TH Fret (which was a must for me). It is also the only 2019 SG Standard to have '57 Classic Pick-Up's, STOCK. The P-up's are NOT the '61 R&T combo, which I did not want either. To top it off it is finished in an 'exclusive' color as well, AGED CHERRY, which appears Black/Ebony in certain lighting etc etc....as far as how the li' beastie sounds.....it is a BAD-A$$ little axe, if I do say so myself. However I think my 2017 SG Standard is a slightly better sounding guitar and w/Locking Grover T.M.'s & Rolled Binding it takes the cigar between the two as to which may be a better insturument. Adding the Les Trem II was also a mod that did not alter IMG_3038.jpg IMG_2824.jpg the 2017 Standard, on and off in minutes.

Overall, two great American made classic Guitars.My Hat is off to GIBSON USA as since 2016 they seem to be making a solid comeback. All the 2017-2019 GIBSON's I have purchased are massive Guitars.The USA line still needs to start shielding their guitars again, in factory, and that is my only issue w/GIBSON at the moment. My only real regret is that I did not buy two or three of the 2017 SG Standards, for $1300 new, they were a steal and I did not realize it at the time.2020 SG Standard '61's are over $2K, w/Tax, out-the-door, FFS !

BTW, has anyone seen another of the 2019 SG 'STANDARD' Maestro's ? The CUSTOM Shop Maestro's are out there but the Standard Maestro's......IDK, not so much ?

KEEP ROCKIN' !

Attached Files:

laza616, Bettyboo, Biddlin and 4 others like this.
  2. Matt748

Matt748 New Member

I have the same 2019 in Aged Cherry with a maestro. I brought it in from Germany new earlier in the summer. It’s a great guitar and a real beauty.
    Congrats on yours.

3. Wild Bill212

Wild Bill212 Member

Thanks Bro, U got yours from a Gibson dealer in Germany, yes? It has '57 Classic P-Up's ? Is the hardware CHROME or Nickel ? These 2019 SG Standard Maestro's in AGED CHERRY are rarities that were not sold in the USA, save the few on-line retailers. They are kinda like the WHITE Les Paul's that come out every year, you have to search for them. Our 2019's both have pretty close to 1964 SG STANDARD original specs, save the Chunky Neck and PAF's, neck joint @ 19TH Fret...weighing about 7 Lbs. +/- 1/2 lb.

BTW, I am thinking of buying a 1964 SG Standard w/Maestro. and I am wondering, just how much better can a '64 SG Standard sound? U KNO? I have two SG Standards, 2017 & 2019, that are FRIKKIN CANNONS, they both blew away my 1979 SG Standard and that is why I sold the '79...it wasn't even close. The 2017 SG Standard blew the '79 Standard away(the '79 had an Ebony Board and a WALNUT Body, not Mahogany). I understand the differences on the actual 1964 is the Chunky 'C' Neck profile and the PAF Humbuckers, but everything else is essentially the same, no ? What do you think ? I have a line on one 1964 SG Standard, its on REVERB, in Brooklyn, NY and the Guy wants $8500 for it....now that is 4.25 Times what I paid for my 2019 SG Standard Maestro and 6 Times as expensive as my 2017 SG Standard w/Dusenberg Les Term II Vibrola....the two guitars in the OP......Can the 1964 SG Standard sound soooooo much superior to its Contemporaries so that is sells for 5 Times the price of a new one ? IDK, and will bring the 2017 with me to compare the tone, plugged-in and un-plugged.

In addition, I put my 2018 ES-335 Traditional Big Block up to a 1960 ES-335 Dot and my 2018 Blew the old boy's $30,000.00 1960 ES-335 AWAY ! No kidding, it wasn't even close...it sounded like the 1960 needed new pickup's and the magnets were almost dead. Un-Plugged they sounded virtually the same !

So, I am thinking that maybe these vintage axes are just not worth the $$$$, and that playing the **** out of my new ones is the way to go, and maybe save one for the Grand-Kids to sell 50 yrs from now, u kno?
    What do you think Bro ?

4. Matt748

Matt748 New Member

That’s right mine came from Station-Music in Germany.
    I saw it online and bought it straight away. It has Chrome Hardware and is called SG Orginal. I have posted a link to one currently for sale on another post below.
    I understood they were for the Japanese Market but I could be wrong. Not seen them available in the Uk so when I saw this one I was more than happy...
    I was thinking about a vintage SG myself recently but after much research and the prospect of potentially not finding a great guitar I decided to go the Custom Shop route.
    Picked up a 63 Reissue last week and couldn’t be happier.
    It’s sounds awesome with the very flexible P90’s and plays everything and more that I love.
    Gibson USA models are very good but the Custom Shop just feels better and more refined. Maybe that would be a better option for you?
    I have always found that the classic styling with modern technology always wins. A bit like classic cars, they cost a fortune, they look awesome but trying to use it every day can be hard work and a little disappointing, If that makes sense.
    Play those USA guitars and if you want something better, take a look at the Custom Shops, I think you’ll like em.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2020
  5. Matt748

Matt748 New Member

6. Wild Bill212

Wild Bill212 Member

U kno, You have a good point there. I drove mid to late '60's & early 70's Muscle Cars for decades and they were sooo uncomfortable to drive. Getting a 2016 V-6 w/6Speed Manual changed my mind on '60's Muscle cars completely.
    I did buy a 2019 Les Paul Custom, Ebony Fret-Board, Custom-Buckers, MOP In-Lays etc etc, and it is a BAD-AS BAD gets, really AWESOME Guitar ! But But BUT, I prefer the Burst-Bucker Pro's in the 2017 Les Paul Standard I have....... A new SG CUSTOM is $5K, the 1964 used SG Standard is asking $8200+ Tax !

Interesting,.........Thanks for the heads up....

Matt748 likes this.
  7. arcticsg

arcticsg Well-Known Member

Yeah, Zzsounds also had them in stock for quite awhile before they dropped the price and blew them out. They had them in both, Heritage Cherry and Aged (Dark) Cherry. There were a few other venders carrying them as well.

https://www.zzounds.com/item--GIBSGOA19

I almost picked one of those up because of the Aged Cherry, but once I realized it was not like the 2013/14 SG Original, and was the same exact guitar as the 2017 Standard dressed up with a paint job, reflector top hats, and the Maestro, I passed. I already had two 2017 Standards, having the high neck joint and thin neck.

The 2013 Original’s were the ‘61 Reissue from the previous year and they added the Maestro to it. They also put these out with the Aged Cherry finish as well.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2020
    PermissionToLand likes this.
  8. Wild Bill212

Wild Bill212 Member

I C, I had not seen that advert on ZZounds, or anywhere else in the USA. The 2017 SG Standard has Locking Grover Tuning Machines and a Rolled Binding w/'57 Classic Pick-Up's. The 2019 SG Standard w/Maestro lacks the Grover Locking T.M.'s/Rolled Binding BUT DOES have the '57 Classic Pick-Up's which was key to me buying it....None of the Regular USA line production model SG's from 2018-2019 (2020 too?) have '57 Classic Pick-Up's STOCK. IDK why but, for me, the '57 Classics are the best pickup's I have heard in an SG from 1972 and on.....

Some players really like the 22nd Fret Neck Joint on the original 1961 SG/LP's and it wasn't until '64 that GIBSON went to the 19TH Fret Neck-Joint. I thought that was a great move and is the exact reason that a 1964 SG Standard is the 'Holy Grail' of guitars for me. A '64 doesn't even have to have the PAF's in it. The Patented Pick-Up's that year are fine with me.

Question, for the $$$$ (Price vs. possible Tone Differences) would you rather buy a 1964 (The '64 I have a line on, GIBSON sez the serial# dates the axe as a 1965 SG Standard) SG Standard for $8200+ Tax or would you prefer a 2019- or 2020 CUSTOM Shop SG CUSTOM for $4669 (+Tax!)? The new CUSTOM shop SG's are CANNON's, #OLY $#!T !, but I do not like the 490 series Pickup's in the CUSTOM shop models, BUT, the zounds/AMS/Sweetwaters of the internet World usually have one with Custom-Buckers or at least BB Pro's.

After-All, how much better can a '64 SG Standard sound than a 2019 SG CUSTOM (or even the one in this thread, the 2019 SG Standard w/Maestro).

You have two of the 2017's ? WOW , SMART MAN, I am sorry I did not buy at least 2 of them....the 2017 SG Standard I got is the best Gibson USA line Guitar I have ever purchased (except for the 2017 Les Paul STANDARD which is 2X's the price of the SG) and it blows the strings off of my Explorer's/Firebirds and other SG's.

KEEP ROCKIN' !

9. arcticsg

arcticsg Well-Known Member

Howdy,

That ‘64 you have been looking at must also have a ‘65 neck joint, as all the vintage ‘64 SGs that I’ve seen have the short or “22 fret” neck joint. That or they’ve all been earlier ‘64s ;)

I like both actually and regularly switch between thick necked, “19 fret” neck joint and the thin necked, “22 fret” (short) neck joint. My 2 faves are the original 61 reissues (‘57 pups) and the pre-2013 Standards (490R/498T pups). Two totally different SGs in just about every way.

Yeah, 2017 was a crazy year. After Gibson regressed with 2016 SG Standard model (still great guitar), plus selling it without the hard case, I went a little overboard and jumped on the variety thing in 2017. :D

2017 SG Family pic:

[​IMG]

10. Wild Bill212

Wild Bill212 Member

Hey Bro, COOLIO..... I tried to look at the 'Family' picture but its not coming up.I did not buy the '16 SG Standard because it had no HSCase......Then in '17, I wanted the Cherry-Burst SG Standard and when I decided to pull the trigger..... they were on back-order.... so I got the Black one....and it is a great axe ! Hindsight is 20/20, of course, BUT I kick myself for not buying at least 2 of the 2017 SG Standards, such beasts ! and it turns out the Cherry-Burst finish was a one off ("I'll get one next year...", UGH !!). Just like the 'UFO' Knobs on the '17 SG HP Model, they appeared on one guitar that I know of....and GONE !!! The '17 SG Standards are MONSTERS !!!

11. Neezduts89

Neezduts89 Member

Wow. That thing is bad a$$. I would love to own one of these some day. How well does the maestro work? Does the guitar hold tune well when you’re using the vibrato often?

12. Bettyboo

Bettyboo Well-Known Member

Fantastic guitar - congrats.

I have one question: how do you feel about the thickness of the lacquer?

My 2019 Special Aged Cherry has too too thick lacquer, imho. &, that's why I ask.
    20200108_234041.jpg
    20200109_124321.jpg

13. Wild Bill212

Wild Bill212 Member

It holds tune well, I did not even have to adjust the NUT slots or saddles. No pings on that bad-boy from day one ! It turns out that IDK that the guitar is actually not an SG Standard but , as someone above mentioned, an SG 'Original' which is not very accurate when you consider that mine has a 19TH Fret Neck-Joint and a 1961 SG Standard has the 22nd fret NJ. Even after the Gibson B'ruptcy the ghost of Henry J appears!

Bettyboo and Neezduts89 like this.
  14. Wild Bill212

Wild Bill212 Member

WOW, that is MASSIVE !! IDK that they had an AGED CHERRY Special that year ! That is BAD-A$$ERY !! Also, I have never seen a Pickguard like that, with the Tennon cover as part of the Angel-Wing......that is interesting ! I have no issues with the 'Original' at all and never even considered that the paint might be too thick, but now that you mentioned it, it does seem a bit over-done !
    Wait, I spoke too soon. Two things, and it might seem nit-pickky, BUT......Gibson needs to start 'SHIELDING' the USA models in factory again as I am sick of doing it as soon as I get a new guitar. Luthiers will charge $150 - $200 to shield an axe, but its easy enough to do myself, its just a PITA ! Also, for the price I paid for the 2019 SG Original($1999, no Tax) it should have had the Locking Grover Tuning Machines just as my 2017 SG Standard has($1299, No Tax). The Gibson 'Deluxe' TM's on the '19 are fine and are made by Tone-Pro's and are 16:1 (not the usual 14:1), which I like, and they just may keep the guitar a li'l more stable tuning wise, but still, for the $600 price increase getting Locking Grovers doesn't seem like too much to ask. Maybe Gibson put the extra heavy paint on to make up for it ? LOL !!!
    I wanted to swap the TM's out and put locking Grovers on it, but, Gibson USA informed me that the Head-Stock holes would need to be drilled out......and that will surely not be happening, LOL !

KEEP ROCKING BETTY !!!!!

Bettyboo likes this.
  15. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

Beautiful SG '67 reissue, this 2019 model was a short run, bonne pioche !

16. Bettyboo

Didn't the 67 special have a batwing?

This special is just a 2019 in a different colour with the addition of the wriggle stick- still has a terrible bridge (replaced), the decidedly average screen print Gibson logo and circuit board. She looks nice and after modification plays well. I think of her as an inspired by '64.

cerebral gasket likes this.
  17. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

That '67 Reissue is more like a '63 reissue.
    In '63 they installed the bridge straight across and some had a Short Vibrola.
    Batwing transition was in '66.
    A '67 does not have a small guard.

They really need to hire some people in the marketing department that are familiar with the history of the company and all the features of the past models.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021 at 11:06 PM
    Bettyboo likes this.
  18. Bettyboo

While a Fender comes out of the factory completed, Gibson encourages the purchaser to finish the guitar to acceptable standards...

The bridge on this needed replacing from day 1... I also added 18to1 button strip tuners. I didn't like the circuit board and the pickups were a tad bland, so I have SD Antiquities and a replacement wired harness. All ready enough to do... Hard to fix the screen printed logo though...

She looks great, and despite being underwhelmed at first I'm liking her more and more.

19. Bettyboo

That's what I thought too. Although, I've seen some early 63s with a non-lightning bridge, so I suppose anything from a mid 63 to an early 66 is possible in that configuration?

cerebral gasket likes this.
  20. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

Bettyboo' SG is a '64 Ri, sorry.