NGD: 2021 SG Standard

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by cerebral gasket, Jan 13, 2022.

1. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Picked up a 2021 SG Standard today.
    Super light weight.

[​IMG]

2. SGBreadfan

SGBreadfan Active Member

Congrats, just doesn’t get much cooler than a black batwing SG!

3bolt79 and cerebral gasket like this.
  3. An Abiding Dude

An Abiding Dude Active Member

Nice, cg! I know your all about those necks. How's the neck profile suit you? You kept your other Classic I assume?

3bolt79 and cerebral gasket like this.
  4. cerebral gasket

Thanks!

I'm keeping the Classics.
    I know as soon as I unload them I would regret it.

The neck on the Standard is comfortable. It has some girth to it like the Classics, but nowhere near as big as my Custom Shop LP Special that I've been playing lately. I like it a lot. I'm not one that usually goes for the fancier trapezoid inlays and such, but have always wanted an iconic SG such as a Standard.

I'm starting to realize that all the necks will be different and quit being so OCD about them, quit making excuses and just play.

Col Mustard, 3bolt79 and pancake81 like this.
  5. An Abiding Dude

Hmm, even slim tapers?! I'm digging the '61 Standard. I thought a first that the wider feel of the neck might be off putting but now it doesn't bug me a bit.

3bolt79 likes this.
  6. cerebral gasket

I have to draw the line at Slim Taper. It's a struggle for me to play barre chords at the 1st fret area on those necks. The LP Special has the biggest neck I think I have ever encountered and it makes things easier for me to play.

I just can't see paying $4500 for the '64 SG Standard which supposedly has the biggest neck of the current SG lineup especially without being able to try one in person before purchasing.

This 2021 SG Standard is very nice. It's the only guitar that I have with Humbuckers. Kinda of nice to switch things up once in a while. All my others have P-90's.

7. An Abiding Dude

I know exactly what you mean. I'd love to try the '64 to see if it's all that its reputation entails, but that price tag definitely makes me balk. My local GC does have the white '63 SG Special (https://www.gibson.com/en-US/Guitar...-Classic-White-Ultra-Light-Aged/Classic-White). A mere $4,800! Maybe I'll ask them to let me try it for the experience and then back on the wall it goes.

8. cerebral gasket

I had a real 1963 SG Special a few years ago. It cost less than a reissue. To me it was just an old guitar. I don't get excited about vintage guitars for some reason. To me guitars are tools to play music.

[​IMG]

Demon Dave, ZombieLloyd and papagayo like this.
  9. MR D

MR D Active Member

IDC what year guitar was built either.....What I want to know is if the older 1960's SG's sound better than the newer ones, that's about all. I'd like to put my 2017 SG Standard up against an early '60's SG Standard, thru the same rig and unplugged.......and see which is better sounding. Did you compare any ?
    My 2018 ES-335 Trad. blew the strings off an early '60's model ES-335 a couple years back...it wasn't even close. IMO, the MHS Pickup's RULE.

10. cerebral gasket

Certain years are tied to features such as narrow nut width or slim taper necks, so I avoid those. That's the only time I concern myself with the year. For me it's all about the playability of the neck. Other than that, a good guitar is a good guitar.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
  11. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

Neck profile is a very important parameter, I like slim taper and I really like the 2015 neck profile, it' s called slim taper too...

12. MR D

MR D Active Member

Right, if it RIIIINGS, it RIIIINGS ! I am just wondering if you got the chance to see if the older 'VINTAGE' one (the ones everyone goes "OOH BABY.... AAAHHH" over), '63 Special was it ?, sounded better than the recent/newer SG Standard/Specials...something has got to justify the ridiculous prices I see for the older 'VINTAGE' SG's....... and 55+ year old wood just doesn't do that for me....I had a line on a '65 SG Standard and was going to buy it.... IF If if.....it sounded better than my 2017 SG Standard.....it wasn't around the block and someone beat me to it though. I wasn't crushed or anything, maybe next time is all. $8,500.00 is a lot for a 1965 SG Standard, especially if......

13. MR D

MR D Active Member

and BTB: 1-9/16" NUT Width is a dealio killer for me, just is (I HEAR A 'SNAP' sound when I see that). Same dealio killer as the 22nd fret Neck Joint, those features usually accompany each other..........just not my cup o' Whiskey.

14. cerebral gasket

There's a lot of hype with vintage guitars, but I'm not into that sort of thing.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
  15. MR D

MR D Active Member

I'm with you all the way on that HYPE nonsense. IMO, $2,000.00 is actually a bit too much for a new SG. It is what I paid, ALL-IN, for a 2019 SG 'Original' w/Chrome Maestro and if it had not been purchased on 3 year financing dealio @ 0%...I would have passed on it...it is a great guitar, no doubter... and it does ROCK ! And after the Kluson "Revo' TM's were added its been bumped up a few notches in the heirarchy of the stable (5TH). Had it been taxed and shipping added, FFS, it would have been $2200++++ and 2019's werent even w/the new prices.....add another $200......OMG ! My Lester Standard cost me less, new !

Oh yeah, the nagging question remains....did you compare the sounds of an old one ('63) to a new one ?

16. cerebral gasket

Yes.
    The '63 Special did not sound any better than my SG Classics.

17. fos1

fos1 Active Member

Very nice! If I didn't like cherry red so much, I would definitely want a black SG!

cerebral gasket likes this.
  18. football27

football27 Active Member

Congrats on your new SG. Enjoy.

19. cerebral gasket

Thanks!
    Why not have both?

[​IMG]

20. Decadent Dan

Decadent Dan Active Member

I once had a 69 Junior and a Classic. I was amazed at how closely they sounded. Fast forward 20 yrs and I’m back to a ‘21 Junior. I recently sold a new Standard because of the neck profile.
    I really wanted to like it but it didn’t like me. I’m not crazy about the slim taper either but I can work with it.