NGD: 2021 SG Standard

cerebral gasket

Reaction score
I once had a 69 Junior and a Classic. I was amazed at how closely they sounded. Fast forward 20 yrs and I’m back to a ‘21 Junior. I recently sold a new Standard because of the neck profile.
I really wanted to like it but it didn’t like me. I’m not crazy about the slim taper either but I can work with it.

What did you not like about the neck on the new Standard?

MR D

Reaction score
Yes.
The '63 Special did not sound any better than my SG Classics.

THANK YOU C.B., it is as much as I figured...and that pretty much settles whether or not I will purchase an older 'VINTAGE' Model SG or Les Paul.....No, its not likely that I will. Only way I would now is as an investment due to falling currency values.
The only older guitar I ever played/owned that had a different/better tone was a 1979 SG 'The SG'....a FREAKAZOID type guitar spec wise it had Stellar Tone..... but IMO it was due to the wood species combo of Walnut body and Ebony Fret-Board, not old age....that guitar sounded like no other SG or, CTOI, other GIBSON guitar model I ever played.

cerebral gasket

Reaction score
I don’t believe in purchasing musical instruments for investment purposes.

They are meant to be played, not stored as museum pieces or purchased with the intent to flip them for profit.

I refuse to purchase used guitars that are priced higher than what they cost when new. If others want to throw money away purchasing overpriced used guitars, that’s their business, not mine.

MR D

Reaction score
I don’t believe in purchasing musical instruments for investment purposes.

They are meant to be played, not stored as museum pieces or purchased with the intent to flip them for profit.

I refuse to purchase used guitars that are priced higher than what they cost when new. If others want to throw money away purchasing overpriced used guitars, that’s their business, not mine.

The way that FIAT currencies are being devalued, as if purposely, has me and a lot of other citizens of countries where the devaluations are taking place, looking for ways to preserve the value of their FIAT Currencies holdings, without actually holding the FIAT....without getting into the illegalities(?) of inflation (TAX) or anything else economics-wise, it has nothing to do w/playing/not playing.....objects that hold value are becoming more desirable by the hour, currency is not....this has nothing to do with flip/floppin things, its purely survival of purchasing power, which most FIAT Currencies no longer have. BITCOIN?GOLD? GUITARS?CARS?REAL ESTATE? anything really, that can hold its value.... point is: keeping money in a bank is a guaranteed losing proposition, guaranteed.

PermissionToLand

Reaction score
Yeah, people are out of their minds on the used market lately. Asking way more than what something cost brand new when it's not vintage or rare in any way.

Correct me if I'm wrong CG, but this is the first batwing SG you have with the '61 RI style beveling and control placement they started using in 2019, right?

cerebral gasket

Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong CG, but this is the first batwing SG you have with the '61 RI style beveling and control placement they started using in 2019, right?

It looks that way.
I just noticed the controls are closer to the edge of the body compared to my SG Classics. Never noticed that before until you pointed it out.

I also noticed the point on the upper horn is more rounded.

full

full

PermissionToLand

Reaction score
Yeah, it's a subtle change that really surprised me when they did it. Even the Tribute gets the same beveling and controls now.

cerebral gasket

Reaction score
Both my SG Classics feel heavy compared to the 2021 SG Standard that I have. I really like the lighter weight of the SG Standard as well as the sound of the Humbuckers. Almost forgot how Humbuckers sound after playing P-90's for so long.

cerebral gasket

Reaction score
Finally removed the plastic film from the guard, oiled the fretboard, placed foam shims underneath the pups to level them with the strings, and changed the kidney beans to keystones.

full

full

Last edited:

papagayo

Reaction score
2019 and 2020 SG Standard have a '61 Ri body design with a Standard body/neck joint, I think that the 2021 SG Standard is made in the same way.

img-9501_orig.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts