NGD 2022 Gibson SG Standard

Guithartic

Reaction score
I’ve been itching to get an SG and pulled the trigger on this one from eBay, Open Box so about $350 less than usual, with the case and all the case candy, shipped in the original Gibson box. I think I need to get the nut slots filed down a little lower, but fantastic other than that. The Beatles approve. 3B25B38D-86F5-411F-9275-6A3D67C5782F.jpeg

Mondoslug

Reaction score
I’ve been itching to get an SG and pulled the trigger on this one from eBay, Open Box so about $350 less than usual, with the case and all the case candy, shipped in the original Gibson box. I think I need to get the nut slots filed down a little lower, but fantastic other than that. The Beatles approve. View attachment 48796
Beauty...congrats!

DanB

Reaction score
Congrats, love the look of the guitar. I know the Beatles would approve, particularly George who played an SG on songs like Paperback writer.

3bolt79

Reaction score
Congrats! I have one just like it. I would wait to lower your nut’s slots until you have the neck relief where you want it, and only do it if the nut slots turn out to be high. That guitar has been Plek’d at the factory, which usually means the frets are perfectly level and the nut requires no filing.

Mine came from the factory with perfectly leveled frets and a perfect nut. The cowboy chords all play in tune. The only thing I had to do was set the neck relief and adjust the intonation at the saddles a bit.

With these Gibson’s with the flatter fret crown, I tend to adjust the relief to about .006 to .008. That neighborhood seems to let the neck move a little either way with temp and humidity variations.

Aaron Philibert

Reaction score
I wouldn't think my 22 SG Standard '61 got anywhere near a Plek. I have a pinching of the G,B and E strings from the first fret all the way to the end. It tunes alright with a chromatic tuner but will hardly sustain at all. I've had my normal tech set it up. He said the frets were blooming because the board was really dry. After his work, neck relief, intonation, action, etc the pinching lessened a bit but is still there. I don't think he even played it afterward. I'm gonna mention it to him and see what he says. It may be time for a better tech or perhaps a Luthier. I'm lost.

3bolt79

Reaction score
I wouldn't think my 22 SG Standard '61 got anywhere near a Plek. I have a pinching of the G,B and E strings from the first fret all the way to the end. It tunes alright with a chromatic tuner but will hardly sustain at all. I've had my normal tech set it up. He said the frets were blooming because the board was really dry. After his work, neck relief, intonation, action, etc the pinching lessened a bit but is still there. I don't think he even played it afterward. I'm gonna mention it to him and see what he says. It may be time for a better tech or perhaps a Luthier. I'm lost.
Yeah mine was perfect. It was the first electric guitar that I ever had that was perfect and perfectly set up. So of course, I had to give it a ding:mad:. Could have been worse.

I lost my balance and fell ito it knocking it part way out of the stand. The ding is where it contacted a non padded portion of the stand. I checked all of the frets and it had no high or low spots. All of my first fret notes were perfect.

You might want to try oiling the board again. I don’t know what you mean by the strings “pinching”. Perhaps try sanding the nut slots with a folded over pie of Sandpaper if the slots appear to be binding.

Guithartic

Reaction score
Congrats! I have one just like it. I would wait to lower your nut’s slots until you have the neck relief where you want it, and only do it if the nut slots turn out to be high. That guitar has been Plek’d at the factory, which usually means the frets are perfectly level and the nut requires no filing.

Mine came from the factory with perfectly leveled frets and a perfect nut. The cowboy chords all play in tune. The only thing I had to do was set the neck relief and adjust the intonation at the saddles a bit.

With these Gibson’s with the flatter fret crown, I tend to adjust the relief to about .006 to .008. That neighborhood seems to let the neck move a little either way with temp and humidity variations.
I set the relief at .010 at the 7th fret with capo at the 1st and holding down the string at the 17th fret. Some videos say hold down at 15, others say 17, and some say 22. The slots seem a little high based on my expectation that if I hold down the strings at the 3rd fret there should be just the slightest hair of space at the first fret. To where it looks like it’s touching, but you can hear the ping sound when you tap it.

3bolt79

Reaction score
I set the relief at .010 at the 7th fret with capo at the 1st and holding down the string at the 17th fret. Some videos say hold down at 15, others say 17, and some say 22. The slots seem a little high based on my expectation that if I hold down the strings at the 3rd fret there should be just the slightest hair of space at the first fret. To where it looks like it’s touching, but you can hear the ping sound when you tap it.
You may want to fill the slot and recut it. My observation has been that if it looks like it’s touching, it’s probably touching. Also, .010 is ind of a lot of relief. I set my standard SG up at .006. Everything has to be perfect for that amount of relief to work well.

Also, you may want to check the frets with a rocker once you have the relief dialed in. Also, when checking the relief, hold the string down where the neck joins the body. The truss rod will do nothing beyond that point.

MR D

Reaction score
I set the relief at .010 at the 7th fret with capo at the 1st and holding down the string at the 17th fret. Some videos say hold down at 15, others say 17, and some say 22. The slots seem a little high based on my expectation that if I hold down the strings at the 3rd fret there should be just the slightest hair of space at the first fret. To where it looks like it’s touching, but you can hear the ping sound when you tap it

How does the guitar feel w/that much relief? everyone has a preference, and there are differerent ways of setting it...IDK IF that much would make the guitar a bit 'loose' ?

Latest posts