NGD! An old school ESP.

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Chuteboxehero, Apr 21, 2020.

1. Chuteboxehero

Chuteboxehero Well-Known Member

Just picked this one up. Probably from somewhere between '88 and '91. ESP serial numbers are pretty much useless for dating. However this one appears to have come from the ESP custom shop on 48th St in NYC which is pretty awesome. Crackle finish looks amazing in person. Unfortunately the previous owner had Steve Vai sign the top. Besides that it's in great shape. Sounds amazing. Any tips on removing paint pen without damaging what's underneath?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dave and Clifdawg like this.
  2. Clifdawg

Clifdawg Well-Known Member

Nice score! I don’t like guitars with signatures either but for some reason having something pointy and crackly like this signed by Steve Vai just seems sorta right somehow. :thumb:

3. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

A pencil eraser should take care of the signature, or a mild paint solvent.

4. Chuteboxehero

If it was a JEM I wouldn't think twice about keeping it. Or if it was a George Lynch sig... Funny thing is the same guy i got this from eventually picked up a JEM years after Vai signed this one and recently had Zakk Wylde sign the JEM. So he's got it all mixed up.

5. Chuteboxehero

I'll try the eraser as soon as I'm home from work. Never considered that. Thanks! As far as solvents go, this looks to have a fairly thick layer of clear over the actual paint. Do you think a solvent could damage anything underneath the signature?

6. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Nahh ... probably poly or acrylic, almost nuclear blast proof. If you're afraid, try the solvent in a hiden spot first (pickup cavity ?)

7. Chuteboxehero

You weren't kidding. Used a dab of rubbing alcohol and it pretty much wiped right off. A little music nomad polish and it's like it was never there. Thanks for the input!
    [​IMG]

Clifdawg and DrBGood like this.