NGD... and my first SG!

shamu1

Reaction score
Thanks to all your inspiring posts here, I've decided to finally buy my first SG ever - and in this case I bought two. I bought a 2011 Epiphone G-400 Custom and a 2013 Gibson SG Standard in Natural Burst. Here they are:

102.jpg

I had saved up the money to buy a Gibson Les Paul Traditional, but after reading this forum and playing a bunch of SGs recently, I decided against it and bought these two guitars and an Epi Les Paul Tribute Plus instead. I'm so glad I did it.

I chose the Epi G-400 Custom because it's one of the coolest looking guitars I've ever seen, and I found one for a good price on eBay. It's kind of a quirky axe, but I'm really getting to love it. As for the Gibson SG Standard, this has been like a dream guitar for me I had to fulfill - still costing me, brand new, only about half of the price of a Les Paul Traditional.

Col Mustard

Reaction score
good choices IMHO... the Epi Les Paul Tribute is one that I've had my eye on... If you read the specs, it seems like they've been reading our posts around here or over at MLP, because they've installed at the factory a lot of what we would swap junk parts for!
Amazing! So we want to see photos of that, and to hear how that plays and what it sounds like.

For SGs, you got a lot for your money I think. (well, for the Lester too) Not saying the Les Paul Trad plus isn't a fine, elegant guitar, because it is. But for the money you spent, you've got three excellent instruments including a Les Paul that can likely be made to play as good as the Gibson. You can't go wrong with the SG Standard (unless you bought a stolen one), and the triple p'up G-400 seems like a great addition to your collection. It ought to cover tonal ground the others can't reach. But with these three, you've got a lot of tone and stylistic options, enough to keep you busy for a long time just learning all their qualities. If you want to totally boggle your own mind, now get a Vox VT-40+ to play them all through... that modeling amp has its own learning curve and you'll still be finding new tones years from now, with all the models and these three distinct guitars.

If you don't want to boggle your own mind, get a Fender Blues Junior and keep that part simple, and concentrate on your tone and style. *grins
All in all, a fine bundle of value for your hard earned coin.

Biddlin

Reaction score
Outstanding choices ! Congratulations .
Biddlin ;>)/

shamu1

Reaction score
good choices IMHO... the Epi Les Paul Tribute is one that I've had my eye on... If you read the specs, it seems like they've been reading our posts around here or over at MLP, because they've installed at the factory a lot of what we would swap junk parts for!
Amazing! So we want to see photos of that, and to hear how that plays and what it sounds like.

For SGs, you got a lot for your money I think. (well, for the Lester too) Not saying the Les Paul Trad plus isn't a fine, elegant guitar, because it is. But for the money you spent, you've got three excellent instruments including a Les Paul that can likely be made to play as good as the Gibson. You can't go wrong with the SG Standard (unless you bought a stolen one), and the triple p'up G-400 seems like a great addition to your collection. It ought to cover tonal ground the others can't reach. But with these three, you've got a lot of tone and stylistic options, enough to keep you busy for a long time just learning all their qualities. If you want to totally boggle your own mind, now get a Vox VT-40+ to play them all through... that modeling amp has its own learning curve and you'll still be finding new tones years from now, with all the models and these three distinct guitars.

If you don't want to boggle your own mind, get a Fender Blues Junior and keep that part simple, and concentrate on your tone and style. *grins
All in all, a fine bundle of value for your hard earned coin.

I'm two steps ahead of you on the Vox - I already have the VT20, which I think is just a less powerful VT40. I've had it for almost a year now, and I'm finally starting to figure it out. The number of options on it is mind-boggling, to the point that I didn't like it for a long time. Like I've said, I'm a "plug it in and go" guy - no pedals, no distortion - just clean tones are my style. It was too much for me, but I'm starting to get the lay of the land with the Vox.

The Les Paul Tribute Plus is the best guitar I've ever played - I like it better than any Gibson LP I've ever tried, even the Gibson Traditional I was originally planning on buying. I didn't post photos of it here because this is the SG forum, but I did post pics on the MLP forum. It is the perfect electric guitar in every way - sound, feel, looks, everything. What impresses me most about it is that it has a crystal-like clarity of tone that I haven't heard in any other electric guitar, even the Gibson SG I bought. Zero rough edges or muddiness.

Black Ice

Reaction score
That's how you do it,instant collection! Very nice choices, I loovvvvee those natural bursts!

BlackSG91

Reaction score
Nice set of geetars brother & welcome to the forum!:thumb: There are quite a few other members on here who have purchased the Natural Burst SG Standard and they look quite spectacular. I really love your Epiphone and it looks solid and classy. I love the quality of Epiphones, especially the G-400 which I think are top-notch of late. And it has binding which you find on the more expensive guitars. If you ever get bored with either one, just let me know.;) Here's a video on that Epi I saw a while back. This guy's guitar playing may be questionable, but he does a good demo of the guitar.:dude:

4520d1367375415-ngd-my-first-sg-102.jpg

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnwJjrXCV0Q]Demo electric guitar Epiphone SG G400 Les Paul Gibson copy - YouTube[/ame]

shamu1

Reaction score
Nice set of geetars brother & welcome to the forum!:thumb: There are quite a few other members on here who have purchased the Natural Burst SG Standard and they look quite spectacular. I really love your Epiphone and it looks solid and classy. I love the quality of Epiphones, especially the G-400 which I think are top-notch of late. And it has binding which you find on the more expensive guitars. If you ever get bored with either one, just let me know.;) Here's a video on that Epi I saw a while back. This guy's guitar playing may be questionable, but he does a good demo of the guitar.:dude:

Thanks, man. I agree with you on the Epiphone quality, as I've been seeing quickly over the past few weeks. Actually, I like this Epi SG a lot better than the Gibson. I like the Gibson a lot, especially in the looks dept., but I still haven't "bonded" with it, like I have with this Epi SG and the Epi LP Tribute Plus I just bought.

I think the roadblock for me is the weight and size of the Gibson - it's too thin and light for me. I feel like I'm playing a tennis racquet. I thought I'd love the the thin 60's style neck (I've loved it when I've played them in stores), but I can never quite get comfortable with it. I have big hands, and that may be why. I'm reluctant to return the guitar because I have a feeling I'll eventually find the love, but right now it's not quite doing it for me. Both Epis I bought have a ton of mojo, but the Gibson doesn't really have it for me, at least not yet. I actually like the $300 Epi Faded G400 better than the Gibson, both sound-wise and for feel.

BlackSG91

Reaction score
Thanks, man. I agree with you on the Epiphone quality, as I've been seeing quickly over the past few weeks. Actually, I like this Epi SG a lot better than the Gibson. I like the Gibson a lot, especially in the looks dept., but I still haven't "bonded" with it, like I have with this Epi SG and the Epi LP Tribute Plus I just bought.

I think the roadblock for me is the weight and size of the Gibson - it's too thin and light for me. I feel like I'm playing a tennis racquet. I thought I'd love the the thin 60's style neck (I've loved it when I've played them in stores), but I can never quite get comfortable with it. I have big hands, and that may be why. I'm reluctant to return the guitar because I have a feeling I'll eventually find the love, but right now it's not quite doing it for me. Both Epis I bought have a ton of mojo, but the Gibson doesn't really have it for me, at least not yet. I actually like the $300 Epi Faded G400 better than the Gibson, both sound-wise and for feel.

That's good to hear that you real dig the Epi's. I own under 20 guitars and 4 are U.S. made. I picked up an '06 Epiphone LP Standard for $300 w/ case (NO TAX)! It is a hard shell SBK case and just like what you paid for your faded, the same with me.:applause: I bought it at a pawn shop and there also was an SG Standard on sale for about $625, but I went for the Epi. I couldn't be any happier with this guitar and I'm planning on putting my Gibson 490 pickups from my SG into this guitar. My Gibby SG at the moment has the Epi pickups in them and they sound sweet. Once my finances get stable again, I plan on buying a G-400 because they played great in the store. I'm glad you love your Epi SG/Les Paul Custom because that is one sweet looking guitar.:thumb:

blacksg91-albums-epiphone-les-paul-standard-picture937-img569.jpg

Wookiee

Reaction score
Damn nice guitars! That Natural Burst is sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet.

Latest posts