Ngd -- behringer pedals

Discussion in 'Effects' started by Madmatt, Feb 6, 2016.

1. Madmatt

Madmatt Active Member

just got two behringer pedals in the mail. There 'vintage tube overdrive' (tube screamer clone) and a bass overdrive (cloned from a boes of some sort presumably) .

The tubscreamer clone is very functional, it provides a good tube scremer sound, and plays well with my orange micro terror.

The bass overdrive was a gift for my girlfriend, It provides a range of options from 5 knobs (boost/cut for trebel and bass, volume, gain, and a wet/dry blend) which seem pretty good to me, and my girlfriend liked (really the most important part)

The construction is kinda cheep (not a suprise for $20 each) with plastic housings and kinda cheep feeling switches. But I figue if I like it enough to wear it out, it wont cost much to repair or replace.

The only real problem with the pedals is that they don't like being daisy chained together. lots of noise right away. They seem to play okay with other pedals, but hate each other.

Anyone else got these? What'd you guys think?

eS.G. and Bettyboo like this.
  2. Bettyboo

Bettyboo Well-Known Member

Firstly, glad you like them.

I had two of the Behringer OD pedals (including the VT OD), and didn't like either, but that may have been because I was going into the baby Randall which has 2 preamp tubes and 1 small power tube - the pedals just didn't work in that setup; they offered nothing at all.

I did also try them into average SS clean channels and they were fine; sounded better than the OD channels on the cheap ss amps (one was a Cort and one was a low end Roland).

I also bought loads of different tubes to try out, and none of them improved the units, so that was waste of money...

The Micro Terror only has the one 12ax7, so maybe the Behringer plays nicer with that, and at the cost you can't go wrong. Both the pedals I had were really noisy; the noisiest pedals I've ever owned and built to a horribly low standard; many problems with power too (for example, outside of their own dedicated PSUs they are too noisy to play with). I quickly outed both of them and can't imagine buying a Behringer pedal again.

That's not to say that they won't work with your setup and/or won't give you tones you like. Maybe mine were just poor units?

3. Madmatt

Madmatt Active Member

Behringer makes two units called the vintage tube overdrive I think. One with tubes in it and one thats just a (solid state) tube screamer copy

http://www.amazon.com/BEHRINGER-VINTAGE-TUBE-OVERDRIVE-TO800/dp/B000KIRT74

This is the one I have the vt800. The one with the tube is the vt911.... Kinda wierd theyd release two pedals with names so close tho

4. Bettyboo

Bettyboo Well-Known Member

Sorry, Madmatt - I thought you meant the tube ODs. I had the VT911 and VT999 - not great...

But, I certainly agree that there are very nice TS clones by companies such as Behringer at really good prices; much better than the tube OD pedals.

5. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

Wow 20.00 thats cheap hhhhmmmm

6. RVA

RVA Well-Known Member

Behringer is usually a good value for a good product.

Lhvr likes this.
  7. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

Love me Behringer amp---and have had Behringer Bass amps before that kicked ARSE!
    The only thing I ever got from them that SUCKED ---was one of these.......and I think mine was just a lemon
    BC 15 "Hybrid" tube (single 12ax7) ss amp. mine had a "BUZZZZ" that I never could get rid of drove me completely MENTAL hence what you all have to deal with TODAY!!!!! MUWAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAA
    [​IMG]

RVA likes this.
  8. Dave_Death

Dave_Death Well-Known Member

They make a clone of the Boss HM-2.

9. 83 Blazer

83 Blazer Well-Known Member

I like my TO800. I haven't had noise issues with it, but I like my Bad Monkey more. They play together very nicely. I use the Bad Monkey as my main drive and the TO800 to kick it over the top when I need it. Haven't run 2 Behringer drive pedals in tandem so not sure about the noise issues of the OP.
    Just remembered, my son has a Behringer Bass Overdrive. Might put em together and see if there is anything to report.

10. Dave_Death

The Behringer design would drive me nuts if I used batteries. The battery compartment design is rather stupid.

11. 83 Blazer

they have the same battery compartment setup as the series of pedals that includes the Digitech Bad Monkey, so i've got the double whammy....luckily, i don't use batteries....though I do get a weird sense of satisfaction from successfully changing a battery in them. :smile:
    It's the little things that make me happy, but if i had to do lots at once it'd drive me mad.

Dave_Death likes this.
  12. Dave_Death

Bad Monkey too? Jeez

13. 83 Blazer

yes indeed...
    BM.jpeg
    silver button on the side of the Bad Monkey and black one on the side of the Behringer...pity they couldn't have copied a Boss enclosure instead! Still, develops your double handed pen skills if you want.

14. Madmatt

Madmatt Active Member

I agree, just put a battery in the bass overdrive, and it was kinda a pain.

15. Paully

Paully Active Member

I've got a Behringer acoustic amp/PA sounds nice.

16. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

Lhvr likes this.
  17. jtcnj

jtcnj Well-Known Member

I have the t808 and the super fuzz. The fuzz gets some good and some bad reviews but I dont have anything to compare it with so its fuzzy enough for me until i build a fuzz face clone.
    the t808 - model number may be wrong, but its a TS clone.
    its ok. not bad for cheap. I use my modded TS5 more though.

The battery change is a little bit of a pain but it just takes a little getting used to.

18. Six String

Six String Moderator Staff Member

......... good pedals..... good prices! :thumb:

19. Lhvr

Lhvr Active Member

I have this pedal and I really like, great sounds for less than 20 EUR. You shouldn't compare it to the spirit of the original pedals, but for such small money it's the best you can get. Enjoy it!

eS.G. likes this.
  20. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

It makes some great noises for the $ for sure!
    It is plastic----but I do not gig and I do not travel with or abuse my gear so it should be just fine.

Lhvr likes this.