NGD: Custom Shop SG standard VOS

Moose

Reaction score
10098764036_73f8079149.jpg
I thought I had every guitar I could want. So why do I continue to look at eBay?
Anyway, a CS SG came up at a price I couldn't ignore. Outstanding condition, September 2012 build. The only issue was that the owner had changed a few things:
  • Replaced the standard tuners with Kluson double rings
  • Replaced the wiring harness with CTS pots and black beauty caps
  • Replaced the burstbuckers with 498/490 pair removed the pup covers (his preference)
I said I preferred original burstbuckers with covers. He said he sold the covers already but would a pair of throbaks covers on for me me. All great upgrades but I would have kept the original parts.
10098011243_b2c9e239d8.jpg
Differences between the Made in USA vs. Custom Shop guitar:
  • 0° joint angle.
  • The headstock is smaller that the '61 reissue
  • Holly headstock veneer
  • The headstock and neck inlay work is very well done
  • The one-piece body is light weight (6.5 lbs) with an attractive grain
  • The contours on the body are very deep
  • Rounded heel
10097902394_c1ae7a62ff.jpg
The one thing which really distinguishes the guitar is the sound. It is more articulate than my "Made In USA" guitars, not a big difference but each note seems to ring out.

Last edited:

bwotw

Reaction score
What a beauty! Congratulations!

Biddlin

Reaction score
Beautiful axe, enjoy .
Biddlin ;>)/

Grey

Reaction score
The one thing which really distinguishes the guitar is the sound. It is more articulate than my "Made In USA" guitars, not a big difference but each note seems to ring out.

I would wager that is all attributed to the bridge. The ABR-1 gives the guitar more sustain and clarity than the nashville, having owned both.

Moose

Reaction score
I would wager that is all attributed to the bridge. The ABR-1 gives the guitar more sustain and clarity than the nashville, having owned both.

A have a '61 with an ABR-1 as my comparison. There are variables:
  1. 57s vs burstbuckers
  2. The throbak covers vs standard
  3. Custom vs. Made In USA build
Or the guitar might just have magic.

My observations is that, in general, my custom shop guitars sound better than my Made In USAs. Of course, they should sound better for the premium price.
10097922275_af85f662af.jpg

Saintjonah

Reaction score
Beautiful guitar. Congrats on the purchase.

I wonder what it is that makes the guitar seem more articulate. Do you wager it's the 1-piece body, or maybe neck angle? I guess the pickups are probably the biggest difference. Interesting though. Here's to the day I have to opportunity to do my own comparison :)

nbeersiii

Reaction score
Is there big diffrences you can tell in build quality from the CS model and a regular model?

Moose

Reaction score
Is there big diffrences you can tell in build quality from the CS model and a regular model?

I find the custom shop guitars are better build quality, better components (e.g. timber, lightweight aluminium stop bar, etc.), more historically correct features, a better chance (but not guarantee) of getting a better sounding/playing guitar.

Um... Not everyone agrees.

Overtime I've replaced most of my Made in USA guitars with custom shop models.

nbeersiii

Reaction score
So its basicly '' higher quality'' materials then.

seizure

Reaction score
A have a '61 with an ABR-1 as my comparison. There are variables:
  1. 57s vs burstbuckers
  2. The throbak covers vs standard
  3. Custom vs. Made In USA build
Or the guitar might just have magic.

My observations is that, in general, my custom shop guitars sound better than my Made In USAs. Of course, they should sound better for the premium price.
10097922275_af85f662af.jpg

you got a rare sapphire blue sg '61. Nice!

Saintjonah

Reaction score
Arn't they both made in the USA? At the same factory, no less?

I don't think he was saying they weren't made in the USA. It's just way to differentiate the normal US made Gibsons from Custom Shop Gibsons.

Moose

Reaction score
I don't think he was saying they weren't made in the USA. It's just way to differentiate the normal US made Gibsons from Custom Shop Gibsons.

Yes Gibson USA makes the main production guitars usually with "Made in USA" on the back of the headstock.

The solid body custom shop and Gibson USA guitars are made in the same Nashville factory but in different areas.

Moose

Reaction score
So its basicly '' higher quality'' materials then.

I'm meant to say better build quality. I'll post some photos next weekend. :)

The most noticeable aspects of the better materials used on my CS models are lighter weight and more attractive timber grain/figure.

brazilnut

Reaction score
I had a CS 61 Reissue that had superior materials--you know, one piece body, ABR 1 bridge, beautiful neck timber and carve, and better inlay detail. But my 2005 Standard sounds better, now that I put everything back the way it was. Not to say your new purchase isn't killer. It certainly is!

bwotw

Reaction score
Is the 0º neck joint something noticeable while playing? I don't know if it should differ much from a regular SG, can you still get a nice low action?

Latest posts