NGD DBZ Royale ST Walnut

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by ghostwolf, Oct 9, 2014.

1. ghostwolf

ghostwolf Well-Known Member

Well, it took a bit to figure out, but i finally got a few decent pics of this guitar.
    It's not an SG, but is definitely a cousin of sorts. the body is 1.5" thick in the center, tapers to 1/2"-3/4" at the edges. Solid mahogany, walnut finish. Bought on DBZ'a website sale, $199.00, shipped free. :applause:
    This may well be the nicest guitar i own. Low action, no buzzes anywhere on the neck. The fretwork is a big surprise; no sprout, no rough tops, and no rough edges. For an inveterate tinker-er, this guitar might be rather disappointing.... The fingerboard appears to be rosewood, although others claim ebony. Either way, it's nice and smooth, looks good, and has tasteful inlays, cleanly done. Very hard to put this one down, it just wants to be played.
    After a day of adjustments, the pickups sound even better than they did out of the box. While not *quite* as sweet as alnico, they definitely are the best sounding ceramics i've encountered. Lowering the polepieces and raising the overall height helped a lot. Under extreme distortion, they can be a bit loose sounding, but not unbearably so.
    Setup was pretty good out of the box, although the intonation was off a bit. My biggest complaint here is the slot head screws, with the adjustment ends positioned toward the bridge pickup. Who decided this was the optimum way to do this??? Worse, it's going to need redone when i restring with 12s.
    i tried to get pictures that show the body and particularly the wood at it's most visible.
    My only real complaint with this guitar is the input jack. Getting the cord unplugged is challenging with just fingertips. No danger of the cord being accidentally pulled out, but i do have a scuff in the finish where the knurling hit the edge of the pocket on one or two occasions.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

HEy..............that looks familiar??? I think CyberMgk just scored the same axe!

ITs a take over!!!!

CONGRATS :) Looks awesome.

3. ghostwolf

Yeah, there was a mad rush on these over at the Agile forum, definitely too good a deal to pass up.

eS.G. likes this.
  4. JohnnyGoo

JohnnyGoo Well-Known Member

It is a great lookin guitar,congrats.

5. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Great axe, Mr Zelinsky knows his stuff.

;>)/

6. ghostwolf

i don't know about the MSRP, but even at "street price", this would be more than i've spent on a guitar in a long time. For $199.00 and free shipping, i'm grinnin' like a damn fool.
    This guitar feels so much like a SG it isn't funny, albeit with a thinner edge. The neck on this thing is really nice, big enough, but not too big, not quite as "D" shaped as the neck on my Epi Faded SG.
    My preference is toward master volume & tone controls, so this is another win.

frankd likes this.
  7. frankd

frankd Well-Known Member

I Been playing Dean royales over a year now I had a Walnut sold that one
    had a more round c shape neck My black st has soft v like my dean soltero. the royale sits at arms reach and gets played everyday the black is about
    a pound and a half lighter than the walnut and has push pull vol
    knob for split coil. I have owned many guitars had over 20 a year ago this guitar is my bitch and I mean that she will never ever leave me
    either lol! I think a lot of people just cant believe this guitar is as good as I say I sold a lp standard I sold a Sg diablo pp and a strat but the royale sits right next to me never ever sees the case! where can I get another
    at 199 I paid 219 for mine. I think your trying to explain how thin this guitar is here Is a pic of BB my st royale rock on wolf!
    frankd
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1Zk8bBCPSM"]www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1Zk8bBCPSM[/ame]

[​IMG]

eS.G. likes this.
  8. ghostwolf

9. Heket

Heket Well-Known Member

Nice guitar, congrats on the score! I don't know much about these guitars, but if it feels like an SG then it can't be bad :)

10. frankd

frankd Well-Known Member

Thanks Ghostwolf but I think Im going to holdout and try and get
    a royale or Imperial fm or quilt top with the old badge style
    headstock if possible I hated it at first but it has grown on me.

11. LeadFinger

LeadFinger Well-Known Member

That looks sweet, and light. Congrats.

12. ghostwolf

It's a very sweet guitar, indeed. The more i play it, the better i like it. Surprisingly though, it's not as thin, or as light, as it would appear.

LeadFinger likes this.
  13. LeadFinger

LeadFinger Well-Known Member

It's heavier than a typical SG? That's surprising, since it looks lean and mean. Then again, the top has some LP-like arch. It's a very nice looking guitar!

14. cybermgk

cybermgk Well-Known Member