NGD! Fender Player Telecaster

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Clifdawg, Apr 21, 2020.

1. Clifdawg

Clifdawg Well-Known Member

Been a while since I've come home with a new guitar! I'm a nurse at a large hospital (not on the front lines) but have been blessed to have both my job and my health (so far), and thus I decided to patronize my local music establishment with a purchase. Called and asked if they had new MIM Player Telecasters and to pick one out for me. I swung by and picked it up at the curbside, and she's a real beauty!

[​IMG]

Butterscotch Blonde (a.k.a. the best Tele color). Even got lucky and see a little bit of figuring on the headstock.

Lemme tell you, Fender has really upped their game with these new Mexican-made models. No more chintzy parts and crummy hotted-up ceramic bar pickups. This thing is solid. One thing I was shocked to see was the frets are literally perfect - level, crowned, polished, and have even had the edges filed down. The nut is immaculately cut, too. The neck is a liquid-smooth satin urethane, though I'm ambivalent of the high-gloss fretboard. I know it's not vintage-correct, but I'm loving the heavy duty steel block saddles - they're even more comfortable for palm mutes than a tune-o-matic and stopbar.

What I'm not a fan of was the 3mm (!!!) action and the 0.6mm relief that the guitar came with. Unfortunately, I can't see to find my English measurement allen keys and can't get that relief out yet (so I'm stuck with some very mild buzzing in the middle of the fretboard), but I was able to get the action down to a much more reasonable 1.5mm on every string. Also, the tone knob wasn't seated straight on the tone pot. Not sure how you manage to get perfect frets on a neck but not properly seat a knob, but it was a fifteen-second fix.

Strung it up with some D'addario 10's and jammed. Man, this thing is just so sweet. Clean into my Marshall DSL40, the neck and middle positions are almost acoustic in quality. The bridge is pretty twangy, if that's your thing. Pour on the gain, though, and that bridge really bites back hard. They're clearly not the harsh, noisy MIM pickups of yesteryear - these are very versatile, articulate pickups. No upgrades needed here!

It's a honeymoon, sure, but I've had a tele in the past and really just wanted to have another. It still amazes me just how much Leo got right on his very first try. :thumb:

Oh, and if you care, I decided to make a cell phone wallpaper out of it:

[​IMG]

rotorhead, PixMix, Worblehat and 6 others like this.
  2. Didds

Didds Well-Known Member

Gorgeous! My girlfriend has one in white and it's easily the best Tele I've ever played. I told her that if she didn't buy it, I would

Clifdawg, Layne Matz and Logan like this.
  3. NMA

NMA Well-Known Member

You got that right. The cherry red for the SG, the FireGlo red for the Rickenbacker, the orange for a big Gretsch, and the Butterscotch for the Tele are the iconic finishes in guitarland.

The MIM tag really doesn't mean much anymore. It seems Fender at times uses made in USA parts and the guitars are merely assembled in Mexico. I don't know if that's the case with your Tele, but it is with others.

Good luck with yours. It is exactly what a Tele should look like. I bet it is exactly what a Tele should sound like.

Clifdawg and Layne Matz like this.
  4. Astral Traveler

Astral Traveler Active Member

Very nice! HNGD!

Clifdawg likes this.
  5. arcticsg

arcticsg Well-Known Member

Congrats, simply gorgeous! Happy NGD! :smile:

The new Fender Player series are putting out some nice stuff. I have one the their Strats and it’s pretty nice. Lacking the rolled edges and Fat ‘50s, otherwise they are pretty much the same in quality as the MIA Standard builds from 2012-2016 era.

The Marshall DSL40 is a good amp. I swapped out the stock speaker for a Celestion 65w creamback. An excellent upgrade! Turned out better than I could have imagined.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Clifdawg likes this.
  6. Clifdawg

Clifdawg Well-Known Member

Agreed, I pulled the Celestion Seventy 80 out and put in an Eminence Private Jack, which is essentially a 50-watt Greenback. The difference is subtle and yet it completely transforms the amp. I went from maxing out the mids and cutting almost all treble to running everything at noon. Still have to cut a little presence with the Tele, but that’s expected.

Still amazes me that Marshall matched a speaker so poorly to that amp.

arcticsg likes this.
  7. rotorhead

rotorhead Well-Known Member

Nice grab!

I've been contemplating the Player series for a Tele but not sure I wanted to pull the trigger. Good to hear that it's decent enough to consider because a Tele is probably next on my list.

Your high action is most likely a result of most manufacturers setting it a bit high initially so potential customers aren't turned off by fret buzz while trying them out in stores.

Now you just need to ditch the fat E string and tune it to open G for the classic Keith sound ;)

Clifdawg likes this.