NGD - Gibson SG Standard '61 Demo Shop Mod

doward

Reaction score
Picked up my first SG from the Gibson Demo Shop. It's a modified Standard '61 with cream plastics and zebra 61 pickups. I LOVE the wood grain. It's a well matched 2 piece and plays great! Neck feels great. It's not chunky, but not too thin. Plays great, sounds great, and I'm definitely in love with it!

FgTBmHr.jpg

NA830uV.jpg

T6tUFHZ.jpg

doward

Reaction score
That’s a nice piece. The cream and zebras give it a unique look, I like it. The different knobs would get swapped over right away. Either silver insert top hats or witch hats. Thinking witch hats on this one
Thanks! I definitely agree that the knobs need to be swapped. I was thinking either black or cream reflector tops. I need to look around and see what I can find.

papagayo

Reaction score
Nice SG Standard '61, the zebra humbuckers give a nice vintage look, congrats!

An Abiding Dude

Reaction score
Thanks! I definitely agree that the knobs need to be swapped. I was thinking either black or cream reflector tops. I need to look around and see what I can find.
Looking at the knobs, I thought it was a weird aesthetic choice, but now I get it. They were being clever and matching the knobs to the zebra pickups to give you...zebra knobs! They did the same with the pickup switch. A bit over the top, but some one in the mod shop was having fun. Maybe some day they'll create a half cream and half black knob? Beautiful wood grain though. Congrats.

pancake81

Reaction score
This guitar just has a fantastic body with someone who went a little wild with some unique tastes. Hey, to each their own.

I would make the following changes (if it were mine).
- Gibson Deluxe tuners
- Black pick up rings
- Silver insert top hats / or witch hats
- not sure on pick up selector switch… dealers choice

Torren61

Reaction score
yeah. they're the small knobs like on the special. They'll be changed out for Ratio locking tuners most likely

Give me locking tuners or give me DEATH! Okay, just give me locking tuners and not death.

ajory72

Reaction score
That's a very nice paint job - I prefer a bit of wavy mahogany too...

I picked up a 2019 '61 this year and its this best guitar I've ever played, the accuracy with which I could play on it just blew me away, my Les Paul has a fatter neck and switching between the 2 I always come back to the SG... (Angus\Iommi\Krieger were onto something here)

and those new '61 p-ups!! man are they great!

sgguitarzz

Reaction score
That’s a nice piece. The cream and zebras give it a unique look, I like it. The different knobs would get swapped over right away. Either silver insert top hats or witch hats. Thinking witch hats on this one
Nice guitar but knobs need to be changed and don;t love the pickup selector switch ring thing whatever its called.

laza616

Reaction score
Oh yeah the grain on this one is beautiful
Very nice catch but as others suggest, the knobs are turning me off completely

Go Nigel Go

Reaction score
OMG... Knobs is knobs. Me personally I think it has a ton of cool character as is, and I seriously doubt I would change a thing if it was mine. It's a 2 minute "fix" if it bugs you. My SG came with 3 different knobs, one of which was cracked, and had 30 layers of masking tape wrapped around the fourth bare pot shaft, and I bought it anyways. It was admittedly a little "too much character" for my liking, so I used 4 matching '70's vintage Radio Shack knobs I had saved in a coffee can and called it good. No fuss no muss.

It's beautiful, it has a bit of well loved history, and I would rock it all day and all night without a second thought.

Latest posts