NGD - Gibson SG Standard 61

sgguitarzz

Reaction score
I went to the GC closest to me today and decided on a Gibson SG Standard reissue cherry color. This guitar is so light and comfortable to play and sounds great. The way it plays I am sure someone set that guitar up. The intonation is spot on, no dead spots , incredible action and very resonant. I have to weigh this guitar because I bet it is barely 7 pounds at the most. Great story on this one. I walked in and saw it on the wall but the price tag had it at $2100. I told the guy that has to be a mistake as they are like $1800 everywhere even at the GC I went to the other day. He admitted it was a mistake and I sat down and played it for about an hour and was hooked. I had the guy put it aside for me and I went home to get the Gibson Les Paul Junior I had bought like 3 weeks ago to return and just pay the difference. The return was super easy and smooth and the sales guy could not have been nicer. He even discounted the guitar 10% ($180) without me even asking.

cerebral gasket

Reaction score
They can be confusing if not familiar with them.

To muddy the waters even more, there was a small guard SG Standard from 2014. Production year of guitar and location of crown inlay on headstock indicates the "official" model name issued at time of production.

So now we have the following variations of the SG Standard:

1. SG Standard
2. SG '62 Reissue
3. SG '61 Reissue
4. SG Standard '61

1961-1971 SG Standards had trapezoid inlays.
1972-1985 SG Standards had small block inlays.
1986-present SG Standards have trapezoid inlays.

Technically, all SG Standards built from 1990-present with trapezoid inlays are reissues of the 1961-1971 SG Standards.

There were a few years circa 1986-1989 where the SG Standards had the output jack installed on the side of the body and the pup selector switch at alternate location.

Last edited:

sgguitarzz

Reaction score
I also own a 1969 SG. I have bought and sold so many guitars and it was time to face up to the fact that this is what works for me.

Attachments

• SG69.jpg
    SG69.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 35

MR D

Reaction score
CONGRATULATIONS on NGD ! NICE ONE !

GC is setting their guitars up before putting em out on the floor, I noticed that as well. Even the neck relief is not more than .007". There is definitely a shortage of new GIBSON's @ the moment both in the Big-Box stores and the on-line retailers. Guitar Row in NYC is GONE, 46TH Street is frikkin empty.ICB my eyes the other day, WTF ? Diamond Alley, 47TH Street, is next ?
The new SG's I've seen are super light-weight...of the few I've seen, all 2020's, ones that are remaining in the stores..... a couple were right around 6 Lbs....

sgguitarzz

Reaction score
CONGRATULATIONS on NGD ! NICE ONE !

GC is setting their guitars up before putting em out on the floor, I noticed that as well. Even the neck relief is not more than .007". There is definitely a shortage of new GIBSON's @ the moment both in the Big-Box stores and the on-line retailers. Guitar Row in NYC is GONE, 46TH Street is frikkin empty.ICB my eyes the other day, WTF ? Diamond Alley, 47TH Street, is next ?
The new SG's I've seen are super light-weight...of the few I've seen, all 2020's, ones that are remaining in the stores..... a couple were right around 6 Lbs....

I think you are spot on. This thing is no more than 6 pounds and maybe not even that. It feels like the Parker Fly I once had (well not quite that light) but definitely much lighter than my 69 SG. It is also thinner. Like I said this was definitely setup and setup well and by somebody really good. Are the new Gibsons plekked? The stores both brick and mortar and online all have guitar shortages. Everything is backordered I guess as a fallout from Covid. I used to love going down to 46th St in Manhattan and checking out all the great music stores there. I had friends that worked in those stores and the guitar tech I use also worked there at 46th st Guitars I believe. Thats history now. Also people always talking crap about GC but I have never had any bad experiences with them and in this case the customer service was as good as it gets other than the fact that the original price on the guitar was wrong.

MR D

Reaction score
I think you are spot on. This thing is no more than 6 pounds and maybe not even that. It feels like the Parker Fly I once had (well not quite that light) but definitely much lighter than my 69 SG. It is also thinner. Like I said this was definitely setup and setup well and by somebody really good. Are the new Gibsons plekked? The stores both brick and mortar and online all have guitar shortages. Everything is backordered I guess as a fallout from Covid. I used to love going down to 46th St in Manhattan and checking out all the great music stores there. I had friends that worked in those stores and the guitar tech I use also worked there at 46th st Guitars I believe. Thats history now. Also people always talking crap about GC but I have never had any bad experiences with them and in this case the customer service was as good as it gets other than the fact that the original price on the guitar was wrong.

Yeah Bro, the SG's out now, 2020's, are super Light-weights for sure...the one SG Standard I got is 1.347" thick at the rear strap peg, 6 lbs w/strap. Usually 1.375" or 1 3/8Ths if I am correct, and thatssa BIG IF as I am no expert.... but SG's for decades are usually 1-3/8ths or 1.375" w/Digital Caliper, so 2020's are Slightly narrower.
I was on 47th Street very recently and I walked around the block on 7th Ave to just go see what was new on Guitar Row........ and IT WAS FUCKIN GONE !!! I figured I would just go see what was new in the stores, yes? It had been a while since last time. That was always where the newest gear was.... in the NY/NJ/PA/CT area anyway...and for decades it was always fun to go down that street and check everything out....... but not anymore, that just sux.....and at 1st, I thought I had somehow got lost....But no, not in NYC, no way !
From what I heard Manny's Music closed in 2018 and was the last one to go under the bus. What a shame, and OMG, NYC looked like a Ghost Town too. It is really fucked up when I think about it. No one walking down the street in NYC, Mid-Town, on a weekday in the middle of April ? That is just 100% fucked up !
Never had a problem with GC either. Sam Ash as well, altho recently one particular SAM's seemed as tho they did not want to sell me a guitar, kinda weird.

fos1

Reaction score
Perfect is all I can say. That model is exactly my perfect SG. Someday...

cerebral gasket

Reaction score
I also own a 1969 SG.

Same as my first one, a 1969 SG Special.

full

sgguitarzz

Reaction score
Another update after a few months of using this guitar at home, rehearsals and gigs. I could not have made a better choice. This guitar is just such a pleasure to play, sounds amazing, light to hold and so many other things. The upgrade to the Kluson Revolutions has been a big plus. This is slowly rising to not just a second guitar but it is now very close to my 69 SG in use. Its like 1 and 1A. Definitely a different sound and feel and when I change to it it does take a song or two to dial it in but once I do it sounds amazing. I have gotten many compliments on it. I cannot recommend this guitar highly enough.

MR D

Reaction score
GREAT, glad to hear that. The 'Revolutions' are an excellent choice. I've never had a GIBSON SG that was not AWESOME, when setup/functioning correctly.
I took the 490's out of my 2020 Standard, put a '61R in the neck and a '57 classic in the Bridge, this has elevated my new SG to #1, just ROCKIN !
IIRC, your standard has the '61' R/Ts, yes? Those P-Up's are growing on me, much better P-Up's for my $$$ than the 490's.

Last edited:

MR D

Reaction score
They can be confusing if not familiar with them.

To muddy the waters even more, there was a small guard SG Standard from 2014. Production year of guitar and location of crown inlay on headstock indicates the "official" model name issued at time of production.

So now we have the following variations of the SG Standard:

1. SG Standard
2. SG '62 Reissue
3. SG '61 Reissue
4. SG Standard '61

1961-1971 SG Standards had trapezoid inlays.
1972-1985 SG Standards had small block inlays.
1986-present SG Standards have trapezoid inlays.

Technically, all SG Standards built from 1990-present with trapezoid inlays are reissues of the 1961-1971 SG Standards.

There were a few years circa 1986-1989 where the SG Standards had the output jack installed on the side of the body and the pup selector switch at alternate location.

Right you are. I hav learned not to doubt anything you say. I do need to ask if you left out the SG 'Original' (2013-14 & 2019) as it is not technically a Standard ?
When I got my 2019 SG 'Original' it was clear to me that it should be called a Standard but that title already belonged to the 2019 Batwing SG...GIBSON USA had to call it something ?

MR D

Reaction score
I went to the GC closest to me today and decided on a Gibson SG Standard reissue cherry color. This guitar is so light and comfortable to play and sounds great. The way it plays I am sure someone set that guitar up. The intonation is spot on, no dead spots , incredible action and very resonant. I have to weigh this guitar because I bet it is barely 7 pounds at the most. Great story on this one. I walked in and saw it on the wall but the price tag had it at $2100. I told the guy that has to be a mistake as they are like $1800 everywhere even at the GC I went to the other day. He admitted it was a mistake and I sat down and played it for about an hour and was hooked. I had the guy put it aside for me and I went home to get the Gibson Les Paul Junior I had bought like 3 weeks ago to return and just pay the difference. The return was super easy and smooth and the sales guy could not have been nicer. He even discounted the guitar 10% ($180) without me even asking.

BTW, what year is the new SG Standard '61 you just got ?
I have yet to see a 2021 but I hav heard elsewhere that they are out there. Where IDK, but....

cerebral gasket

Reaction score
Right you are. I hav learned not to doubt anything you say. I do need to ask if you left out the SG 'Original' (2013-14 & 2019) as it is not technically a Standard ?
When I got my 2019 SG 'Original' it was clear to me that it should be called a Standard but that title already belonged to the 2019 Batwing SG...GIBSON USA had to call it something ?

You are correct about the SG Original.
Technically the SG Original is an SG Standard.
The neck and headstock markings indicate the model.
Bound neck with trapezoids.
Crown inlay, headstock logo as inlay.

It should be named SG Standard '63 with Maestro Vibrola.
1961-62 had Sideways Vibrola.
1963 was the first year of the Maestro Vibrola.

Last edited:

An Abiding Dude

Reaction score
BTW, what year is the new SG Standard '61 you just got ?
I have yet to see a 2021 but I hav heard elsewhere that they are out there. Where IDK, but....

I got a couple of '61 2021s this year. The standard w/ Maestro vibrola had just came in to my local GC and was pulled out of the shipping box in front of me, gave it a feel and I bought it on the spot. I also found a window on Gibson's website were they had the '61 stopbar in ebony (which is an exclusive you can only buy directly from Gibson.) Both came reasonably well set up and played great from the jump. Had my luthier check pickup height and intonation and with some minor tweaks they are fantastic playing guitars.

If you want a new guitar and have cash on hand or a line of credit with a decent interest rate, definitely buy from Gibson directly if you can swing it. Free shipping and no sales tax.

Latest posts