NGD - Gibson SG Standard 61

MR D

Reaction score
You are correct about the SG Original.
Technically the SG Original is an SG Standard.
The neck and headstock markings indicate the model.
Bound neck with trapezoids.
Crown inlay, headstock logo as inlay.

It should be named SG Standard '63 with Maestro Vibrola.
1961-62 had Sideways Vibrola.
1963 was the first year of the Maestro Vibrola.

Right again ! and it sure looks like one. AAMOF when I bought my '19 SG 'Original' w/MAESTRO I thought I had bought...... a Standard and I did not know the name attached to the guitar till a year after I bought it I looked at the enclosed 'ID Card' that came with the guitar. U kno, I'm pretty sure GIBSON USA would not even care that the 'Original' really cant be called an 'Original' due to the Neck Joint being at the 19th fret, lol. IDK the exact year it was changed from 22nd to 19th but it was b4 the Batwings were issued, IIRC. (BIG IF THERE).

sgguitarzz

Reaction score
GREAT, glad to hear that. The 'Revolutions' are an excellent choice. I've never had a GIBSON SG that was not AWESOME, when setup/functioning correctly.
I took the 490's out of my 2020 Standard, put a '61R in the neck and a '57 classic in the Bridge, this has elevated my new SG to #1, just ROCKIN !
IIRC, your standard has the '61' R/Ts, yes? Those P-Up's are growing on me, much better P-Up's for my $$$ than the 490's.
Yes it has the 61 R/T's. They sound great clean and pushed.

MR D

Reaction score
You are correct about the SG Original.
Technically the SG Original is an SG Standard.
The neck and headstock markings indicate the model.
Bound neck with trapezoids.
Crown inlay, headstock logo as inlay.

It should be named SG Standard '63 with Maestro Vibrola.
1961-62 had Sideways Vibrola.
1963 was the first year of the Maestro Vibrola.

YO C.B., IDK how to send a private message in this site, or if that is even possible, BUT I have a question for you regarding the Batwing SG Bridge Pickup Mounting Ring Screws....
can you GBTM ?

cerebral gasket

Reaction score
YO C.B., IDK how to send a private message in this site, or if that is even possible, BUT I have a question for you regarding the Batwing SG Bridge Pickup Mounting Ring Screws....
can you GBTM ?

What about the screws?

MR D

Reaction score
What about the screws?

TNX for the reply C.B., I will make this as brief as possible...when I was putting the Mounting Ring on , the pickup kept floppin forward, had to take the Batwing off 3-4 times before I realized, among other things, that the springs needed to be the shorties, adjusted slowly, side to side.....Ultimately I did not use the 4 'corner' screws because, as you know, the ring stays solidly in place w/just the Height- Adjustment screws and the 4 'corner' screws seemed like they were not necessay.....yet.

So now that I have determined that the Mounting Ring is going to stay on the guitar after I did mange to get the top of the pickup parallel to the strings after 3-4 mounting attempts....I can happily report the pickup has yet to move at all, and does not flop forward.

SO, OK, QUESTION:I do not understand the fourth screws positioning. Going from memory of the pics you posted it doesnt go into the rings last hole, yes? that would be the hole on the Bass side, closest to the Bridge. It looked like it was just screwed into the Batwing and into the body between the Bridge posts...why is that ?(IDK know if the underneath route actually allows the screw to go into the body, but if not, the screw is not necessary?) and why is the 4th Mounting Ring hole actually not utilized? I referred to the U-Toob Rig-Rundown on ANGUS '70 SG CUSTOM w/Batwing PG and the Mounting Ring has all of the screws going into the 4 Mounting Ring holes...so I wondered why is it that the 4th screw in your pics do not do that? OR did I misinterpret the picture and the screw is actually in the 4th hole (Bass Side, Bridge Position)...or did I recall correctly that the 4th screw in ur pic is not in the Mounting Ring and is between the bridge posts on the back side of the Mounting Ring towards the Bridge directly into the Batwing? and why is that? and is it OK to just use all 4 Mounting Ring holes? OR just use the other 3 and not use the 4th? (I figure it has to be) Also, IDK if the routing under the PG is the same on the 2020 SG Standard and ANGUS '70 SG CUSTOM, I mean that Guitar has probably been re-routed/plugged/re-routed many times (actually, IDK if at all really!)?

I tried to be brief and accurate at the same time.TNX, I appreciate ur TIME !

Go Nigel Go

Reaction score
For aesthetic reasons, you can put the fourth screw into the pick guard even though it won't bite into wood. Just drill a hole slightly smaller than the threads and slightly larger than the solid center shaft of the screw. When you insert the screw, just go with light pressure (finger tight is plenty) and it will actually help hold that corner of the ring down pretty substantially. No one but you will know it isn't in the wood. There is probably no harm in leaving it out, but I would most likely put it in just because.

MR D

Reaction score
For aesthetic reasons, you can put the fourth screw into the pick guard even though it won't bite into wood. Just drill a hole slightly smaller than the threads and slightly larger than the solid center shaft of the screw. When you insert the screw, just go with light pressure (finger tight is plenty) and it will actually help hold that corner of the ring down pretty substantially. No one but you will know it isn't in the wood. There is probably no harm in leaving it out, but I would most likely put it in just because.

Yo Nigel, TNX 4 that...and Right, I do understand that its mostly aesthetic as even just the height adjustment screws SEEM to be enough to keep the Pickup in place. CB had posted a pic, IIRC, that I did not understand, hence my question.Not a big dealio but it got me wonderin'....
The 4TH Screw I ref'd (Bass Side Bridge Position) and how you mention to tighten 'Finger Tight' is a good reminder,TNX Again, as anything more would result in a strip and screw could conceivably just fall out if guitar was overturned.

64Tele

Reaction score
Pretty guitar.....
My first "SG" was an SG style MelodyMaker with two single coil pickups and vibrato.
It was also my first Gibson before trading it for an ES 335 (1966) that I had for about 10 years.

Last edited:

64Tele

Reaction score
Nice guitar....I've got a 2013 61 RI with Maestro and 57 Classics I picked up a couple years ago.

Attachments

• 1599570107492 (1).png
    1599570107492 (1).png
    52.9 KB · Views: 12

64Tele

Reaction score
I debated between a stop tailpiece/bridge vs a Maestro model. Found the used one and got it.

KelvinS1965

Reaction score
Yes it has the 61 R/T's. They sound great clean and pushed.
My 2019 SG Standard has those too. Of course like a fool I took them out for something 'better', but after a short while I put them back (I did replace the PCB and pots because I didn't like the feel of the pots, so it's wired like yours now). I have a Les Paul with Bareknuckle Mules for comparison and to my ears the 61R/Ts have a fantastic sound. I just spent most of this evening practising our set list on mine.

I changed some cosmetics on mine, which has made it look more like a '61 so of course I'm biased, but yours looks great.

Latest posts