NGD LES PAUL SPECIAL TV

MR D

Reaction score
THE GUITAR THAT CHECKS ALL THE LEFT TO BE FILLED BOXES IS MINE AT LAST ! Surprisingly it is a mere new 2022 Les Paul Special w/'TV Yellow' finish...and she just HOWLS !!!

Guitar arrived in tune, to my astonishment, set up and ready to RIP ! It has all the boxes checked that I never had on a Guitar:

1) TV Yellow Finish
2) P-90 Pickups
3) 50's Style FAT Chunky 'C' Neck profile (The Neck is 'HUGE'' !)
4) Dot In-Lay Neck w/Binding
5) Wraparound Bridge/Stop-Tail

I now know why people rave about P-90's. Having never played an axe with them and only having the Les Paul Standard w/split-coil Hummers P-90 tones to judge them by.... I had no idea....BUT they have a tone of their own and it is ROCKIN'. The NEck Pickup w/Tone rolled all the way down produces a 'WOMAN' Tone that really is unique as the day is long and I am now a P-90 believer !! NO $#!T !

Screen Shot 2022-04-14 at 12.42.48 PM.png Screen Shot 2022-04-14 at 12.43.12 PM.png

Even the new GIBSON USA Guitar strap is usable. there is no need to buy a new strap, just the usual Schaller 'S' Locks !
Yet to be named or weighed..SHE SCREAMS and is surprisingly light for a 'SLAB' of Mahogany ! Really BAD-A$$ and I could not be happier that I was able to get the options I'd never had on a Guitar before, all on one guitar and at a Non-Custom Shop price ! This purchase was inspired by a recent posting of an SG 'CUSTOM' in 'TV Yellow'' (TNX Six_String_belief) and while the finish is not quite as light or as sweet as that CUSTOM SG...it is still TV Yellow and what I wanted, NO COMPLAINTS AT ALL !

FYI: The 0% Tax days at GIBSON USA have ended. In October free shipping (still is free to ship!) and NO TAX was a dealio and a half...BUT NO MORE !!!

I've yet to check Nut string height from factory, Do a 'TAP TEST', check Neck Relief or check intonation BUT I am sure it is spot-on based on how the guitar arrived. Stamped on the 75TH Day of 2022...it is HOT off the factory floor to my hands...case is Hard Shell Brown, 4 Latches, w/Pink plush interior (No shroud, cant have everything now a days !) ...NOT A BLEMISH ON IT, its arrived PERFECT ! OH GIBSON USA NAILED THIS ONE !!!

KEEP ROCKIN' !!!

Last edited:

DanB

Reaction score
THE GUITAR THAT CHECKS ALL THE LEFT TO BE FILLED BOXES IS MINE AT LAST ! Surprisingly it is a mere new 2022 Les Paul Special w/'TV Yellow' finish...and she just HOWLS !!!

Guitar arrived in tune, to my astonishment, set up and ready to RIP ! It has all the boxes checked that I never had on a Guitar:

1) TV Yellow Finish
2) P-90 Pickups

I now know why people rave about P-90's. Having never played an axe with them and only having the Les Paul Standard w/split-coil Hummers P-90 tones to judge them by.... I had no idea....BUT they have a tone of their own and it is ROCKIN'. The NEck Pickup w/Tone rolled all the way down produces a 'WOMAN' Tone that really is unique as the day is long and I am now a P-90 believer !! NO $#!T !

View attachment 47850 View attachment 47849

Even the new GIBSON USA Guitar strap is usable. there is no need to buy a new strap, just the usual Schaller 'S' Locks !
Yet to be named or weighed..SHE SCREAMS and is surprisingly light for a 'SLAB' of Mahogany ! Really BAD-A$$ and I could not be happier that I was able to get the options I'd never had on a Guitar before, all on one guitar and at a Non-Custom Shop price ! This purchase was inspired by a recent posting of an SG 'CUSTOM' in 'TV Yellow'' (TNX Six_String_belief) and while the finish is not quite as light or as sweet as that CUSTOM SG...it is still TV Yellow and what I wanted, NO COMPLAINTS AT ALL !

FYI: The 0% Tax days at GIBSON USA have ended. In October free shipping (still is free to ship!) and NO TAX was a dealio and a half...BUT NO MORE !!!

I've yet to check Nut string height from factory, Do a 'TAP TEST', check Neck Relief or check intonation BUT I am sure it is spot-on based on how the guitar arrived. Stamped on the 75TH Day of 2022...it is HOT off the factory floor to my hands...case is Hard Shell Brown, 4 Latches, w/Pink plush interior (No shroud, cant have everything now a days !) ...NOT A BLEMISH ON IT, its arrived PERFECT ! OH GIBSON USA NAILED THIS ONE !!!

KEEP ROCKIN' !!!
Congrats on your new purchase! Love the TV yellow color. Is this your first Les Paul? I have never played one in 46 years of playing but am thinking of buying a cheap one. I have never owned a single cut guitar (all my guitars including obviously my SG are double cut). How does the playability of a single cut compare to a double cut guitar, especially with the issue of high fret access? In any event your new guitar is a real beauty!

Decadent Dan

Reaction score
Awesome, congrats! I’m glad they’re doing the big neck and p90’s again.
Enjoy the heck out of that one!
I bought one in Cherry finish years ago and it had p100’s and a 60’s neck. I didn’t keep it very long. I also had a USA Hamer Special. It had Seymour Duncan p90’s but still not a big neck.
Yours sounds like a keeper (for big neck peeps).

MR D

Reaction score
Congrats on your new purchase! Love the TV yellow color. Is this your first Les Paul? I have never played one in 46 years of playing but am thinking of buying a cheap one. I have never owned a single cut guitar (all my guitars including obviously my SG are double cut). How does the playability of a single cut compare to a double cut guitar, especially with the issue of high fret access? In any event your new guitar is a real beauty!
TNX, appreciate that ! You gotta get a Lester...Lesters are the Ultimate 'Stuck on a Deserted Island' Guitar and really are the ony guitar you will ever need...besides ,of course, an SG Standard u kno? This being Everything SG dot com , right ?

MR D

Reaction score
Awesome, congrats! I’m glad they’re doing the big neck and p90’s again.
Enjoy the heck out of that one!
I bought one in Cherry finish years ago and it had p100’s and a 60’s neck. I didn’t keep it very long. I also had a USA Hamer Special. It had Seymour Duncan p90’s but still not a big neck.
Yours sounds like a keeper (for big neck peeps).
Thanks Bro, yes the FAT A$$ Neck is just awesome......it doesn't hurt my hand like the FAT A$$ Neck on my CUSTOM Les Paul....I'm beginning to think the CUSTOM Hurts because of the Ebony Fret-Board on the Chunky 'C' neck profile , even tho its not the '50's Chunky...IDK if there is a difference as I have yet to get the calipers out and onto the both of them...N E Way, I gotta get them in the same place first to do that comparison. Custom-Buckers vs P-90's and that should be interesting when it does happen...may be a while though.

I've yet to play a Guitar w/P-100's so IDK, I dont blame ya for not being too thrilled with the '60's Slim-Taper neck profile., Super Thin w/ 1-9/16TH" NUT ? Funny thing is about these P-90's is I knew IMMEDIATELY that they just might be the best pickup's I have ever owned on any of my GIBSON's (Thats a lotta pickup's too !)...all it took was turning the Neck Tone knob all the way down for the 'WOMAN' Tone, She has it in Spades ! I thought : Thats right, Thats what I'm talkin' 'bout ! WOW, whatta TONE !

The Weigh-In was held a li'l while ago and she came in at 7Lbs. exactly, Nighthawk Weight !

Last edited:

papagayo

Reaction score
This is a nice Les Paul Special with neck binding and 50' s style wraparound bridge, very good choice, congrats !

MR D

Reaction score

CRACKER MAN !! HE'S A MAN AND A WOMAN TOO!!! YO D.D. I gotta few Scottie stories HOLY $#!T that guy was hilarious...... just for how not-too-bright he wasn't and a few things that just happened in 1996-98 because of it ! BWAHAHAHAHAH!!! I mean, WTF R U Kiddin Scott ? Fuckin Guy.... didn't think what was going to happen ? OMG !

is Dean playing a 'USA' Line Special here ? Finish looks a li'l too nice to not be a CUSTOM Shop Special, yes?

MR D

Reaction score
This is a nice Les Paul Special with neck binding and 50' s style wraparound bridge, very good choice, congrats !
TNX BRO, was just playin it today, "Carry That Weight" sounded pretty freakin BAD-A$$$ on it now that I think of it...I/we played/extended it for about 20 minutes and fuckin pretty sick sounding !

cerebral gasket

Reaction score
is Dean playing a 'USA' Line Special here ? Finish looks a li'l too nice to not be a CUSTOM Shop Special, yes?

Looks like a vintage 1955-57 LP Special.
Press fit tuner bushings and white neck binding.

Mid 1980’s they started using a pinkish color binding on all guitars with a few exceptions. 2021 they switched to a cream color.

I had a Custom Shop 1960 Les Paul Special Single Cut with a really nice translucent TV Yellow finish and super fat rounded neck. It's a real head scratcher why it was marketed as a 1960 model when single cut Juniors and Specials were re-designed as a double cut in 1958, plus it had a fat 50's neck. I got it because of the fat 50's neck and the TV Yellow finish which is my favorite when done right.

Eventually I got rid of it. It was a very heavy guitar and sounded lifeless when plugged into an amp.

Last edited:

MR D

Reaction score
Looks like a vintage 1955-57 LP Special.
Press fit tuner bushings and white neck binding.

Mid 1980’s they started using a pinkish color binding on all guitars with a few exceptions. 2021 they switched to a cream color.

I had a Custom Shop 1960 Les Paul Special Single Cut with a really nice translucent TV Yellow finish and super fat rounded neck. It's a real head scratcher why it was marketed as a 1960 model when single cut Juniors and Specials were re-designed as a double cut in 1958, plus it had a fat 50's neck. I got it because of the fat 50's neck and the TV Yellow finish which is my favorite when done right.

Eventually I got rid of it. It was a very heavy guitar and sounded lifeless when plugged into an amp.
EE-GAD MON ! OMG C.B.,U R next going to tell me the year the Press Fit Bushing TM's were swapped out ? I couldn't even see them....
BTW, I have always maintained that the cheaper GIBSON's, the Specials/Juniors and later the Faded's....all sounded DEAD acoustically because of the High Density of the wood that GIBSON used on its cheaper models ! AGREE? DISAGREE ? I respect your opine on this, C.B., and just about everything else you come up with.....

Last edited:

cerebral gasket

Reaction score
EE-GAD MON ! OMG C.B.,U R next going to tell me the year the Press Fit Bushing TM's were swapped out ? I couldn't even see them....
BTW, I have always maintained that the cheaper GIBSON's, the Specials/Juniors and later the Faded's....all sounded DEAD acoustically because of the High Density of the wood that GIBSON used on its cheaper models ! AGREE? DISAGREE ? I respect your opine on this, C.B., and just about everything else you come up with.....

Juniors and Specials traditionally were marketed as lower cost models and that would explain why some of them may not be getting choice pieces of wood that are not extremely dense and heavy.

But if the CS is going to offer those models at over inflated prices, I would expect them to be more selective in the woods they use for those builds.

MR D

Reaction score
Juniors and Specials traditionally were marketed as lower cost models and that would explain why some of them may not be getting choice pieces of wood that are not extremely dense and heavy.

But if the CS is going to offer those models at over inflated prices, I would expect them to be more selective in the woods they use for those builds.
OK C.B., point taken...I must ask: Do you think/know if the higher the density of the wood used on the body of any GIBSON soild-body electric produces a better sounding more highly resonant guitar sound UN-PLUGGED ? I had originally thought that the more heavily dense the wood used on the body of GIBSON solid-body electrics, the deader the sound of the guitar UN-PLUGGED...this was based on the 8Lbs. 14 Ounce 1979 SG 'The SG' I had for 35 years.....it was theee most acoustically dead sounding guitar I ever owned UN-PLUGGED....it was just fuckin dead sounding un-plugged....everybody LOVED that guitar too. Ebony Board and all, but it was just the fuckin DEADest sounding guitar I ever heard un-plugged...at $500 new in 1979 it was deemed 'affordable' for the 1970's GIBSON's.

and 2nd, even at risk of being a hijacker (sending a Private Message is impossible on this site)....what do you set the 1st fret string heights at on your GIBSON Solid-Body Electrics ? and how much Neck relief will you use once you have the 1st fret string heights set to your liking ?

I've wanted to ask you the 2nd question for months.....I have a theory but will save it for another day. My 'Theory' (actually just a set of set-up steps) works really well, in regards to 2nd octave OPEN 'E', 'A', & 'D' Chords Ringing DEAD-ON in the second octave on any GIBSON 'Short-Scale' Solid-Body (and ES Models too) Electric Guitar...Now, this is only a theory of mine ! BUT, I KNOW IT WORKS ! and that said: no, No, NO one else gets credit for this one, OH NO-NO NO WAY...this particular theory took decades to develop and works like a charm on any properly functioning GIBSON 'Short-Scale' Solid-Body Electric Guitar...and ES Models too, as long as they are 'Short-Scale' GIBSON's.

Last edited:

MR D

Reaction score

Decadent Dan

Reaction score
I saw those Guys in Manila,Philippines in 2010(2011?) and Dean only used one guitar the entire night....Les Paul Standard, from where I was it looked black, but it might have been Aged Cherry/Maroon or something off-black...YOU TUBE has footage from the actual show....here is a link to the show opener...'CRACKERMAN'. THEY FUCKIN ROCKED OH YES THEY DID !

Weiland should have hung it up after Velvet Revolver.

MR D

Reaction score
Weiland should have hung it up after Velvet Revolver.
Yeah, D.D. his voice CRACKED a few times and it was kinda embarrassing, BUT NO ONE gave a $#!T, u kno? Over there in S E Asia they don't get to see a whole lot of BIG Rock Bands rolling thru town, yes? The arena where they played was where ALI vs. Frazier III took place (The 'Thrilla in Manila' !) and Scottie mentioned it when they came out for the single song encore..'Trippin on Hole in a Paper Heart' or whatever that songs name is.....He did the whole "In this corner weighing in @ 205LBS....', it was hilarious seeing as how most of the people in attendance did not even know WTF Scott was referencing as their parents were maybe not even born when the fight took place in 1975(?) !

BTW, could you tell what colour the Les Paul Standard Dean is playing there was/is ? IDT it was Black......maybe Dark Maroon or some $#!T ?

Decadent Dan

Reaction score
Yeah, D.D. his voice CRACKED a few times and it was kinda embarrassing, BUT NO ONE gave a $#!T, u kno? Over there in S E Asia they don't get to see a whole lot of BIG Rock Bands rolling thru town, yes? The arena where they played was where ALI vs. Frazier III took place (The 'Thrilla in Manila' !) and Scottie mentioned it when they came out for the single song encore..'Trippin on Hole in a Paper Heart' or whatever that songs name is.....He did the whole "In this corner weighing in @ 205LBS....', it was hilarious seeing as how most of the people in attendance did not even know WTF Scott was referencing as their parents were maybe not even born when the fight took place in 1975(?) !

BTW, could you tell what colour the Les Paul Standard Dean is playing there was/is ? IDT it was Black......maybe Dark Maroon or some $#!T ?
He has a few from 78, black and wine red.
You know they’re probably pancake bodies and weigh a ton.

guitarweasel

Reaction score

1) TV Yellow Finish
2) P-90 Pickups

View attachment 47850 View attachment 47849

KEEP ROCKIN' !!!
Mine is a 2019, a bit different than to 2022's.

Les Paul Special-2.jpg

Latest posts