NGD LES PAUL SPECIAL TV

MR D

Reaction score
Mine is a 2019, a bit different than to 2022's.

View attachment 48235
SHARP, screeems too, yes? The 'TV Yellow' varies from guitar to guitar, CUSTOM to USA line, u kno?it could be the lighting in your picture that makes the guitar look lighter......BUT the tone on the P-90's is just soooo BAD-A$$$ !!! Did you ever put a HUMM canceller in it ? only thing about P-90's is that HUMMM ! otherwise, THEY RULE !

Siamese

Reaction score
THE GUITAR THAT CHECKS ALL THE LEFT TO BE FILLED BOXES IS MINE AT LAST ! Surprisingly it is a mere new 2022 Les Paul Special w/'TV Yellow' finish...and she just HOWLS !!!

Guitar arrived in tune, to my astonishment, set up and ready to RIP ! It has all the boxes checked that I never had on a Guitar:

1) TV Yellow Finish
2) P-90 Pickups
3) 50's Style FAT Chunky 'C' Neck profile (The Neck is 'HUGE'' !)
4) Dot In-Lay Neck w/Binding
5) Wraparound Bridge/Stop-Tail

I now know why people rave about P-90's. Having never played an axe with them and only having the Les Paul Standard w/split-coil Hummers P-90 tones to judge them by.... I had no idea....BUT they have a tone of their own and it is ROCKIN'. The NEck Pickup w/Tone rolled all the way down produces a 'WOMAN' Tone that really is unique as the day is long and I am now a P-90 believer !! NO $#!T !

View attachment 47850 View attachment 47849

Even the new GIBSON USA Guitar strap is usable. there is no need to buy a new strap, just the usual Schaller 'S' Locks !
Yet to be named or weighed..SHE SCREAMS and is surprisingly light for a 'SLAB' of Mahogany ! Really BAD-A$$ and I could not be happier that I was able to get the options I'd never had on a Guitar before, all on one guitar and at a Non-Custom Shop price ! This purchase was inspired by a recent posting of an SG 'CUSTOM' in 'TV Yellow'' (TNX Six_String_belief) and while the finish is not quite as light or as sweet as that CUSTOM SG...it is still TV Yellow and what I wanted, NO COMPLAINTS AT ALL !

FYI: The 0% Tax days at GIBSON USA have ended. In October free shipping (still is free to ship!) and NO TAX was a dealio and a half...BUT NO MORE !!!

I've yet to check Nut string height from factory, Do a 'TAP TEST', check Neck Relief or check intonation BUT I am sure it is spot-on based on how the guitar arrived. Stamped on the 75TH Day of 2022...it is HOT off the factory floor to my hands...case is Hard Shell Brown, 4 Latches, w/Pink plush interior (No shroud, cant have everything now a days !) ...NOT A BLEMISH ON IT, its arrived PERFECT ! OH GIBSON USA NAILED THIS ONE !!!

KEEP ROCKIN' !!!
Congrats. I just got back from a 3.5 hour road trip to Sweetwater, where I bought the same guitar but in cherry.

Mine wasn't set up all that great, but whatever...I always spend a few hours/days getting everything tweaked the way I like it.

Sweetwater brags about their "55 point inspection", but they missed at least one of the points. The pickup height. I just leaned that the Gibson spec for P0's is 3/64 inches! Less than 1/16 of an inch. That's close. My bridge pickup was about 1/4" and the bridge was 3/8" or so, and the guitar sounded lame. I brought them up to spec height and the improvement was obvious. Just passing this on to a fellow new P90 person in case you hadn't seen that spec.

Have fun with the new guitar. Let us know how much you're picking it up to play.

MR D

Reaction score
Congrats. I just got back from a 3.5 hour road trip to Sweetwater, where I bought the same guitar but in cherry.

Mine wasn't set up all that great, but whatever...I always spend a few hours/days getting everything tweaked the way I like it.

Sweetwater brags about their "55 point inspection", but they missed at least one of the points. The pickup height. I just leaned that the Gibson spec for P0's is 3/64 inches! Less than 1/16 of an inch. That's close. My bridge pickup was about 1/4" and the bridge was 3/8" or so, and the guitar sounded lame. I brought them up to spec height and the improvement was obvious. Just passing this on to a fellow new P90 person in case you hadn't seen that spec.

Have fun with the new guitar. Let us know how much you're picking it up to play.
CONGRATULATIONS ! HAPPY NGD !

The one I got was set-up pretty well....few minor tweaks is all ! The pickup heights? I set the bridge at the GIBSON USA spec. and then pretty much match the radius w/pole pieces...I set the volume of each strings 'E' note in the 1st Octave....and the result is the Pole Pieces match the radius. I like that this Guitar has a dotted position marker neck w/Neck Binding !!! Not the every day GIBSON USA lower than a STANDARD model spec. since the Mid-1960's (?).

But the Neck Pickup I lower until I get 3 different tones out of the toggle switch positions....matching the radius w/pole pieces. Doing this the Neck Pickup ends up really low....haven't measured it but its even w/pickup rings near the neck and lower than that near the pickups other end......IMO, the Guitar is at its versatile best set up like this but YMMV.

and sadly, truth be told, the P-90's have a pretty noticeable 'HUM' and I do not care for that. So I only play the guitar with the tone controls rolled all the way down as its the only way to get rid of the 'HUM'. I need to bring the guitar to someone to put some sort of canceller in it as that particular tone is MONSTROUS but its not called for in too many songs.It iS the 1st guitar I've ever played/owned w/P-90's (outside of a Lester w/BB Pro's and the split position is supposedly P-90 territory...BUT I SAY, not really !) and if I can get the 'HUM' sorted out I'll see how I like the P-90's.....but right now? Not so much.

An Abiding Dude

Reaction score
THE GUITAR THAT CHECKS ALL THE LEFT TO BE FILLED BOXES IS MINE AT LAST ! Surprisingly it is a mere new 2022 Les Paul Special w/'TV Yellow' finish...and she just HOWLS !!!

Guitar arrived in tune, to my astonishment, set up and ready to RIP ! It has all the boxes checked that I never had on a Guitar:

1) TV Yellow Finish
2) P-90 Pickups

I now know why people rave about P-90's. Having never played an axe with them and only having the Les Paul Standard w/split-coil Hummers P-90 tones to judge them by.... I had no idea....BUT they have a tone of their own and it is ROCKIN'. The NEck Pickup w/Tone rolled all the way down produces a 'WOMAN' Tone that really is unique as the day is long and I am now a P-90 believer !! NO $#!T !

Even the new GIBSON USA Guitar strap is usable. there is no need to buy a new strap, just the usual Schaller 'S' Locks !
Yet to be named or weighed..SHE SCREAMS and is surprisingly light for a 'SLAB' of Mahogany ! Really BAD-A$$ and I could not be happier that I was able to get the options I'd never had on a Guitar before, all on one guitar and at a Non-Custom Shop price ! This purchase was inspired by a recent posting of an SG 'CUSTOM' in 'TV Yellow'' (TNX Six_String_belief) and while the finish is not quite as light or as sweet as that CUSTOM SG...it is still TV Yellow and what I wanted, NO COMPLAINTS AT ALL !

FYI: The 0% Tax days at GIBSON USA have ended. In October free shipping (still is free to ship!) and NO TAX was a dealio and a half...BUT NO MORE !!!

I've yet to check Nut string height from factory, Do a 'TAP TEST', check Neck Relief or check intonation BUT I am sure it is spot-on based on how the guitar arrived. Stamped on the 75TH Day of 2022...it is HOT off the factory floor to my hands...case is Hard Shell Brown, 4 Latches, w/Pink plush interior (No shroud, cant have everything now a days !) ...NOT A BLEMISH ON IT, its arrived PERFECT ! OH GIBSON USA NAILED THIS ONE !!!

KEEP ROCKIN' !!!
Congrats, D. Too bad about Gibson getting wise to charging sales tax though. Maybe it was an early oversight when they began selling directly on their website? Ah, well, it was nice while it lasted...

An Abiding Dude

Reaction score

Just an FYI, Siamese, Sweetwater is pretty explicit in mentioning that the 55 point inspection is not the same as a set up, just that the guitar is in the condition described and can be considered playable. Not that I have any skin in the game in defending a corporate behemoth, but just thought I'd throw it out there.

MR D

Reaction score
Congrats, D. Too bad about Gibson getting wise to charging sales tax though. Maybe it was an early oversight when they began selling directly on their website? Ah, well, it was nice while it lasted...
TNX DUDE, the FREE-SHIPPING and NO SALES TAX had business BOOMING (IDK the #'s but....) and now that that no longer exists, consumer demand is ????? (Fuckin CRUSHED ?).....

U kno, DUDE, I really dig the TV YELLOW Lester, its just too bad about the annoying 'HUM' of the P-90's...I just can't firkin' take it ! There has to be something that can be done to stop it as I would like this axe to replace the EXPLORER as the # 1 daily beater, but until that happens 'BERTHA' is just hangin out in her case.I am glad I got her b4 the recent price hike, FFS ! Is it me or is it really ridiculous that A new Lester STANDARD is a shade over $3 Grand ALL-IN ???

Maguchi

Reaction score

1) TV Yellow Finish
2) P-90 Pickups

KEEP ROCKIN' !!!
Congrats. Beautiful guitar. I've been looking for one in that exact color and pickups for a few months now with no luck. Did you get yours directly from Gibson? Hope you get many years of enjoyment from it.

MR D

Reaction score
Congrats. Beautiful guitar. I've been looking for one in that exact color and pickups for a few months now with no luck. Did you get yours directly from Gibson? Hope you get many years of enjoyment from it.
Thanks, its pretty BAD-A$$.......Yes, direct from the GIBSON USA factory......The CUSTOM shop TV YELLOW is a bit lighter and more to my liking but for another $3 Grand...I can live without it.

This guitar is not seeing much action (neither am I because everything has been shut down since March, 2020 coz of some Bull-**** story !) due to the 'HUM' in the P-90's....I can't take it...only way to get rid of it is to turn the Tone controls all the way down....AND that produces a, HOLY $#!T, BEASTLY TONE, but THAT TONE is not exactly called for on most of what I am playin lately (Be great if I were into Death Metal)....too bad !!!

Maguchi

Reaction score
Thanks, its pretty BAD-A$$.......Yes, direct from the GIBSON USA factory......The CUSTOM shop TV YELLOW is a bit lighter and more to my liking but for another $3 Grand...I can live without it.

This guitar is not seeing much action (neither am I because everything has been shut down since March, 2020 coz of some Bull-**** story !) due to the 'HUM' in the P-90's....I can't take it...only way to get rid of it is to turn the Tone controls all the way down....AND that produces a, HOLY $#!T, BEASTLY TONE, but THAT TONE is not exactly called for on most of what I am playin lately (Be great if I were into Death Metal)....too bad !!!
Wow! I know P-90s can have noise if played with a lot of gain (either amp gain or pedal gain), but for cleaner sounds and mild breakup, the amount of noise I get from my P-90s is manageable. The electricity in my home seems to be very good and doesn't cause much 60 cycle hum. Depending on the venue, sometimes I'll turn down the volume on silent sections between songs and turn up when I start playing again. Also I find that moving around on stage even a few feet can get rid of a lot of single coil noise. In short noise from P90s has not been a problem at all except once when I was using a Boss SD-1 pedal to crank up the gain on a song. Hope things work out with that guitar because it's a beauty.

MR D

Reaction score
Wow! I know P-90s can have noise if played with a lot of gain (either amp gain or pedal gain), but for cleaner sounds and mild breakup, the amount of noise I get from my P-90s is manageable. The electricity in my home seems to be very good and doesn't cause much 60 cycle hum. Depending on the venue, sometimes I'll turn down the volume on silent sections between songs and turn up when I start playing again. Also I find that moving around on stage even a few feet can get rid of a lot of single coil noise. In short noise from P90s has not been a problem at all except once when I was using a Boss SD-1 pedal to crank up the gain on a song. Hope things work out with that guitar because it's a beauty.
Interesting, IDK if its the electricity or the guitar or both ? Currently, I play in two separate places w/2 different rigs and its pretty much the same thing in both places..so I am leaning towards the Guitar being the culprit, but again...IDK 4 sure....One rig (#1 Marshall Half Stack Stereo) has a complicated board w/3 different 'Heavy Gain' Pedals w/MXR 10 Band EQ ala Mr. Rhoads and usually I only have the BK Butler Pedal 'ON' w/Gain at not even half-way..=..'HUM"...the other Rig is not complicated (VOX NT-15) has 2 Pedals 'Soul Food' and an 'OCD' and the Guitar is even noisier thru that one...I've tried an EHX 'Silencer' and 2 other Noise Gates but they are more towards releasing the signal than correcting anything in the signal and release the same thing eventually (depending on 'Threshold' level) with this guitar = 'HUM'...it is sooo annoying. My Humbucker guitars thru the same rigs do not have the slightest problems as this Lester Special has..... so I am thinking (OUCH !) it just has to be the Guitar.

On these pages I have read what some other players have done to correct the 'HUM' from P-90's and I am hoping someone who has done this will read this thread and post the CURE as I can not find the old threads that were posted.....IIRC (Big 'IF'), it has something to do with putting some sort of 'Canceller' inside the guitar under the pickup?

IDK, but at least its not an issue as far as playing out is concerned. Since the lockdowns started/ended(?) I haven't played a single note in front of any audience. I may hang it up AAMOF as getting people together to start something just seems impossible post 'Scam'/Pan-Demic FFS ! I still can't believe everyone seems to have gone along with the whole BS story.

Maguchi

Reaction score
Interesting, IDK if its the electricity or the guitar or both ? Currently, I play in two separate places w/2 different rigs and its pretty much the same thing in both places..so I am leaning towards the Guitar being the culprit, but again...IDK 4 sure....One rig (#1 Marshall Half Stack Stereo) has a complicated board w/3 different 'Heavy Gain' Pedals w/MXR 10 Band EQ ala Mr. Rhoads and usually I only have the BK Butler Pedal 'ON' w/Gain at not even half-way..=..'HUM"...the other Rig is not complicated (VOX NT-15) has 2 Pedals 'Soul Food' and an 'OCD' and the Guitar is even noisier thru that one...I've tried an EHX 'Silencer' and 2 other Noise Gates but they are more towards releasing the signal than correcting anything in the signal and release the same thing eventually (depending on 'Threshold' level) with this guitar = 'HUM'...it is sooo annoying. My Humbucker guitars thru the same rigs do not have the slightest problems as this Lester Special has..... so I am thinking (OUCH !) it just has to be the Guitar.

On these pages I have read what some other players have done to correct the 'HUM' from P-90's and I am hoping someone who has done this will read this thread and post the CURE as I can not find the old threads that were posted.....IIRC (Big 'IF'), it has something to do with putting some sort of 'Canceller' inside the guitar under the pickup?

IDK, but at least its not an issue as far as playing out is concerned. Since the lockdowns started/ended(?) I haven't played a single note in front of any audience. I may hang it up AAMOF as getting people together to start something just seems impossible post 'Scam'/Pan-Demic FFS ! I still can't believe everyone seems to have gone along with the whole BS story.
Butler gain pedal almost halfway up? Sounds like gain is the culprit. P90s are rockabilly and traditional blues type pickups and generate a lot of noise with anything more than mild amp gain or pedal gain. Other than the earliest Bluesbreakers, Marshalls are high gain amps by design and can generate noise with P90s. Start with a completely clean sound on a mild amp like a Vox and start adding gain very gradually (amp gain first then pedal gain) to find the culprit for the noise. P90s are definitely not a metal or modern gain pickup. The craziest you can get with them is a sound like Mississippi Queen by Mountain and that was mostly amp and pickup.

Last edited:

MR D

Reaction score
Butler gain pedal almost halfway up? Sounds like gain is the culprit. P90s are rockabilly and traditional blues type pickups and generate a lot of noise with anything more than mild amp gain or pedal gain. Other than the earliest Bluesbreakers, Marshalls are high gain amps by design and can generate noise with P90s. Start with a completely clean sound on a mild amp like a Vox and start adding gain very gradually (amp gain first then pedal gain) to find the culprit for the noise. P90s are definitely not a metal or modern gain pickup. The craziest you can get with them is a sound like Mississippi Queen by Mountain and that was mostly amp and pickup.

OK, WILL DO, TNX...I'VE A LI'L VOX Night-Train, li'l Brute of an amp..Gets a good tone around 4+ on the volume w/Gain set low.The Butler is usually around 3.5 as the Gain is what gives it the Volume...if that Pedals gain is all the way down.....no sound....I figure you know that.

BTW, I play in stereo, could that be it ? Its the best sounding Rig I ever owned, CLEAR AS DAY/Church Bells..... and my other guitars just tear **** up goin thru it !

I really like the guitar, wanted it to be the new #1..has the awesomely beefy '50's Neck and its just GREAT...dot inlays w/binding....its a li'l unusual and its part of why I like it...but the guitar is just sitting now ! I always end up going back to SG Standards w/'57's, they never let me down. I'll get back to you on the results as I am hoping to put some dents in this guitar.....Might be a while......but I will.I appreciate the Heads up !

Latest posts